Forums

Elon Tweets gif of first release candidate.

Elon Tweets gif of first release candidate.

It looks to me like it has the mustache.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/845287211306139648

JAD | March 24, 2017

Don't see any HUD? So what tricks does he have?

dsvick | March 24, 2017

Thanks @KP!!

That's awesome. I told myself I'm not getting black (my last two cars were black) but that sure does look sharp.

I couldn't tell one way or the other on the mustache though, you may have better eyes, or a better screen, than I do!

scarface | March 24, 2017

Elon confirmed that there is not gonna be a HUD in the M3

hoffmannjames | March 24, 2017

It is hard to tell but there does not appear to be a dashboard, just the center screen.

Carl Thompson | March 24, 2017

He couldn't give us a better quality image? ;-)

Looks like the front end is still blank but it's not as flat and more rounded.

jordanrichard | March 24, 2017

Did you guys not see the other tid bit, 8.1 will be out next week........

dsvick | March 24, 2017

@hoffmannjames - "It is hard to tell but there does not appear to be a dashboard, just the center screen."

In another tweet he confirms only the one display and all but says "no HUD" directly.

jordanrichard | March 24, 2017

Not to split hairs, but would a HUD display be considered a display as in a center screen display.

KP in NPT | March 24, 2017

That's what I'm saying, JR. I don't think he's confirming NO HUD. I think he's confirming what we already knew, which is that there is only one "screen."

dsvick | March 24, 2017

Check this one out, he's replying directly to someone asking about a HUD...

https://twitter com/elonmusk/status/845285846936825856

Add the dot before com

This tweet confirms that all features of the Model S will not be on the Model 3.

https://twitter .com/elonmusk/status/845279423238590464

Carl

Antonioc222 | March 24, 2017

He posted the video to his Instagram account too! If that's easier for anyone.

Ehninger1212 | March 24, 2017

I think the 3 in the video looks no different from the original cars revealed, minus the color. That makes me happy, honestly. Super excited.

I've blown it up and now can't tell for sure if it has the mustache. There is a shadow but it could just be the angle.

So Elon said a lot in tweets today.

1. No AWD for 6 - 9 months. But 6 months from now is Sep / Oct. So the wait may not be that long after release (or Model 3 will be earlier than expected)

2. Model 3 will definitely not have all the features available on S / X. I though that would be the case.

3. Performance versions are at least a year out.

Is anyone else surprised that performance versions and dual motors won't be available at launch? Previously Tesla started with well spec'd cars for initial deliveries. Now their starting with base cars? Surprising. I didn't necessary want those options but feel strange about not having the choice if I want the car as soon as possible.

Carl

Too bad no one asked about battery options. If there's nothing bigger than the base they I won't buy at launch. :-(

(Not unless I gamble that I can resell it for a good price when bigger batteries come out.)

He also said Y is a few years away.

Carl

dd.micsol | March 24, 2017

argg it's so blurry at 1080p or 4k. Where is the hero pro 5?
I hope that's the base model not a d model.

@carl, re: AWD, he said first "not until next year"

then he said "6 to 9 months" - I took it to mean 6 to 9 months after production started. It's not clear.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/845282733546921985

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/845287981652963328

Still studying the video - the chrome T is no longer on the hood. I thought it was initially but it's a reflection.

akgolf | March 24, 2017

Good news and pretty much kills pigeons FUD that only fully loaded cars will be first, they'll actually be later.

Waiting for him to chime in about how this is a bad thing now.

Works out great for me.

4fishtankz | March 24, 2017

KP, OMG that's disappointing! I'm in the camp with the other tweeters, and feeling I'm put under the gun that I waited 3 hours in line on the first day only to get the RWD and not what I wanted, especially when was expecting to pay extra for it? I don't know if I want to risk the wait and not getting tax incentives. I'm feeling a lot of us that waited the first day feel the same way.

@4fishtankz yeah I'm disappointed. Waited in line, current owner. NOT getting my car even close to first.

I waited in line to give myself best chance at getting full tax credit. And maybe they will still be able to pull it off for all line waiters - who knows. According to model3tracker.info, 71% of respondents said they want AWD. So maybe getting through RWD won't be too long.

I guess this could be another way to get more Model 3 reservation holders to just go for the Model S instead of waiting.

Carl

Watching the video full screen and frame by frame - center screen is not integrated.

Ehninger1212 | March 24, 2017

@KP Doesn't the screen also look to be more narrow to you? more of a vertical layout rather than the landscape layout in the prototype

LostInTx | March 24, 2017

That's a new front grill.

Actually...whoa. It is vertical. That didn't register since I'm used to it with our S. Hmmmmmmmm

topher | March 24, 2017

" I'm in the camp with the other tweeters, and feeling I'm put under the gun that I waited 3 hours in line on the first day only to get the RWD and not what I wanted"

Order what you want, you will get it, just later than you thought. Did you feel that people who wanted RWD were 'under the gun' (whatever that means) after *they* wait 3 hours in line, and fully loaded were expected to be made first?

Thank you kindly.

So, can others who know about this stage of production (release candidate) explain - it looks like the screen is not integrated, and is vertical, in this video. Does release candidate mean that this is pretty much what it will be, assuming testing goes well - and the screen will stay as it is in this car? Or is it still a question mark?

SamO | March 24, 2017

This car is a production candidate. This is the final version. No question marks. It will be subject to constant change and improvement just like Model S and X.

Thanks, @SamO :) That's what I thought. Comments over at Electrek said otherwise.

slasher0016 | March 24, 2017

I'd love to see a screengrab where you can tell it's vertical (you are probably way better at this than I), can you upload it to imgur or somewhere similar? I hope it is vertical, I think that's far superior.

I tried to screen grab - it works best if you watch it fun screen and then drag the play bar so you can watch frame by frame it works best to see it as it goes by. If it isn't vertical, then it's smaller than the prototype IMO.

http://imgur.com/a/4kGRY

http://imgur.com/a/zOYeD

FULL screen not fun screen. ha.

SamO | March 24, 2017

looks vertical to me. I slowed the video.

pavel | March 24, 2017

A Release candidate is basically a production car where most of the decision have been set in stone (anyone correct me if I'm wrong)

Octagondd | March 24, 2017

From what I can see it is horizontal. You can see some of the screen between the steering wheel. the final few frames make it appear to be vertical because the steering wheel is blocking the leftmost portion of the screen.

slasher0016 | March 24, 2017

Man yeah it's hard to hell. Come on Elon post an actual picture!

SamO | March 24, 2017

@pavel,
+1

KP:
"Actually...whoa. It is vertical. That didn't register since I'm used to it with our S. Hmmmmmmmm"

I don't think the screen is vertical. I think the left edge of the screen is blocked by the steering wheel and makes it look that way.

Carl

JAD | March 24, 2017

why is there no third brake light?

It is hard to tell on the screen, but it almost looks like the top left is a black square, maybe for speedo, versus the rest is bright map making it look taller.

topher | March 24, 2017

"This car is a production candidate. This is the final version."

'Production candidate' is NOT 'Production release version'. Showstopper bugs could cause this one to be rejected, and another candidate selected instead. It is extremely doubtful you or I would be able to tell the difference.

Vertical versus Horizontal screen is NOT a showstopper bug; it would be a design issue settled last June.

Thank you kindly.

JAD:
"why is there no third brake light?"

Maybe it's faked like the moon landings! ;-)

No brake light was discussed in comments on Electrek. Speculation the power isn't hooked up back there. ;)

rsvalesen | March 24, 2017

Lousy video. With all of the lack of info out there from Mr. Musk you'd think this would be a Aha moment for all of the patience M3 reservees..

Coastal Cruiser. | March 24, 2017

"release candidate"

Interesting terminology. Is that a common term used by car makers?

It's very common in the software industry.

Frank99 | March 24, 2017

"Release Candidate", in all the places I've used it or seen it used, means "We engineers think this is ready for production, so we're making it available to a broader community to verify. If a wheel falls off in the first pothole, or rolling the window down causes the roof to fly off, then we'll fix those issues and create a new Release Candidate. If nothing is wrong, we won't make any more changes".
I'm guessing this "Release Candidate" made on production tools using production processes, is also intended to find bottlenecks in production that can still be fixed. Maybe the seats take longer to install than they thought - nows the time to fix tools, or create new ones, to speed it up.

Pages