Forums

Performance version a year from now?

Performance version a year from now?

Reading this article, it looks like a base model will come first and a performance model will come in a year:
https://www.inverse.com/article/29496-elon-musk-tesla-model-3-misconception

What does that mean? What will a performance model have that the ones that will hopefully be available soon will have? If I want a performance model what will that do to my place in line? My possibility of getting a tax rebate if I wait for it since it isn't coming for at least a year? Also it should be made more specific soon what features are different from an S and the 3, especially when they are offering specials on the S, and specifics on what the performance model will have and approximate cost. And having one computer screen, is that like putting all your eggs in one basket? What happens if that computer fails? Any back up displays, fail safes or controls?

Been always waiting for details of the 3 on which to get.

4fishtankz | March 24, 2017

Of course all this isn't trying to be negative, been woo'd by deals of the S, and been patiently waiting, because I like the potential size of the 3 better, want to know if my wait will be rewarded ;).

KP in NPT | March 24, 2017

If you want a P version and they wait to produce them, you'll have to wait until they get to them. Similar to what just happened with the 100D. the 100D didn't start being produced until I think around 5 months after the launch of the P100D.

All these details will likely be given to us when they near production in July, when they open up for configuration.

And when they reach that magic 200,000 then we have 6 months for the Federal tax credit to start to down and we will get less of a credit or none at all. This will mean our extras will potentially cost more depending on how much of a credit we lost from not getting the first model made available. I was hoping to pay for my toys with the credits (more car for less money when all was said and done).

Federal tax credit will start to go down, typing too fast.

Carl Thompson | March 24, 2017

4fishtankz:
"And when they reach that magic 200,000 then we have 6 months for the Federal tax credit to start to down and we will get less of a credit or none at all."

This is not quite correct. It's not 6 months. The $7,500 tax credit gets cut in half the the quarter after the quarter after they sell the 200,000th car in the U.S. So if the they sell that 200,000th car at any time in 1Q 2018 then you get the full credit through June 30th, 2018. The next quarter (starting July 1st) it's cut in half at $3,750 and the quarter after that (October 1st, 2018) it goes to $1,875.

If Tesla should happen to sell the 200,000th car this year, even if it's on December 31, then we only get the full discount through March 31st, 2018.

Carl

Obviously, it is in Tesla's customers' best interest for Tesla to make sure they delay selling that 200,000th car until after January 1st, 2018 even if Tesla ramps up production spectacularly this year. It's probably in Tesla's best interest too as more customer's able to get the full tax credit probably means more sales overall.

Carl

Hopefully Elon will give us more details on this. Like the differences between the 2 cars, and the advantages and disadvantages of each. Hopefully this is not just anti-selling of the 3 to sell more model S. I've been waiting for the 3 much longer than just putting my deposit down last year :(.

KP in NPT | March 24, 2017

From the IRS site:

Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D) Phase Out
The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-in-electric-vehicle-credit-irc-30-an...

OK, better, but still cutting it close depending on where you are in line.

dd.micsol | March 24, 2017

yup. perfectly happy about this. Thumbs up on this-no p or l until 2019.

ken.hixson | March 24, 2017

The M3 was always intended to be the mass market Tesla vehicle. Since the first M3s go to employees, the vast majority of which are in California and where RWD vs AWD is less of a concern I really wonder if this will affect too many people.

We really don't know what the M3 performance will be and maybe this tips the "secret" that the M3 isn't going to be the cannibal of the MS that some thought. I have always wondered if the M3 being less expensive would measure up to what the MS had become.

I am guessing the M3 will be less of a consideration for the MS owners once it is fully revealed as what was once thought. I think it will be a great car and will be an affordable alternative to ICE for many more people but I think a lot of people will be "disappointed" it isn't a smaller version of the MS.

I know I was weighing the M3 vs the MS and ultimately bought an S. This announcement has been an additional bonus that I made the right decision. I live in a winter snow state and AWD was non-negotiable, less because of performance and range, and absolutely a must have for handling. Paying more was well worth not waiting longer, and I really get the sense that the M3 will not be the smaller MS I was hoping it might be.

I think there will be a lot of disappointment in many reservationists when the final M3 is revealed but on the other hand I think it will pull a lot of people from the ICE market into the EV market simply because it will have what they need and expect at a price they can stretch and obtain.

Yes, I was in the camp of wanting a smaller S, the S just seems too big. Just like his tweets say about the comparison between a BMW 3 and a BMW 5. Well, looking at it that way, our family owns both a BMW 330 and a 530. They are very similar except for size (in fact I refer to the 330 as mini me, LOL). I was hoping the Tesla 3 would be the same and be the perfect size for me.

KP:
"From the IRS site..."

What I said is the same thing (but hopefully a little easier for people to understand).

Carl

jordanrichard | March 24, 2017

Interesting that people want the "performance" version of a car with out knowing what the regular version of the car has for performance. My S85 compared to the S40 is a "performance" version of the MS......

david.lovekamp | March 24, 2017

Mine was ordered just after midnight on April 1st last year, reading about that 200,000 date - if it happens early next year I'm feeling pretty good about getting the full $7500 credit. Good to hear!

KP in NPT | March 25, 2017

@Carl - agreed, but was just posting link so people can go straight to source.

gavinfaulkner | March 25, 2017

All of this discussion seems very US-centric. I presume Tesla can sell units over and above the magic 200,000 without impingeing upon US citizens tax rebate privilege?

gavinfaulkner | March 25, 2017

I mean export over the 200,000....

KP in NPT | March 25, 2017

Yes, @gavin. The 200k number is US sales per manufacturer. Tesla is expected to reach that number in the first half of 2018. What they export doesn't matter to US buyers in terms of the tax credit.

noleaf4me | March 25, 2017

I would have prefered a dual motor longer range Model 3. But I do not know if it will be worth the wait.....I reserved pre-reveal.

I fully understand what they are trying to do -- far simpler to make a single motor car -- a lot of complexity when you add the second motor to the front wheels that steer.

I have changed my strategy a bit -- get a Model 3 ASAP and maybe a Y in a few years as our second car.

topher | March 25, 2017

"Interesting that people want the "performance" version of a car with out knowing what the regular version of the car has for performance."

It isn't about performance per se. It is about 'bragging rights'. Or 'compensation'.

Thank you kindly.

SoFlaModel3 | March 25, 2017

@Topher - you're spot on. Funny thing is unlike say a BMW with the "M" line, a P or D Tesla looks no different than a regular one outside of red brake calipers. If the badging was removed off of the back of the car no one would ever know.

Bragging rights come from speed to the road not having AWD that is likely unnecessary for the vast majority buying the car.

Carl Thompson | March 25, 2017

@SoFlaModel3

But some people definitely _do_ notice that 'P' and or 'D' on the badge and some of the people you want to impress know what they're presence (or absence) means!

Carl

Carl Thompson | March 25, 2017

I did it again.
s/they're/their

jordanrichard | March 25, 2017

topher +1

SamO | March 25, 2017

I'm driving a 60 now and will be happy to configure a base model if it is available first. Love that the performance models exist, but have no desire for repeated bouts of whiplash coupled with vertigo.