Forums

Will AWD and Performance options appear in initial Design Studio?

Will AWD and Performance options appear in initial Design Studio?

As far as I have noticed, Tesla doesn't usually add anything to the Design Studio until it is available to build. So the AWD and Performance options may not even appear in the initial Design Studio. This may force those people who are high up in the reservation list but must have these options, to defer their order when invited to configure. But then how would those people know how long to defer etc?

jamilworm | March 24, 2017

It doesn't really affect me because I will be getting RWD anyway, but for the sake of others I'd hope those options will be visible up front. I don't know how someone would be expected to choose AWD vs RWD if they don't know the cost difference.

denkav2 | March 24, 2017

Yes this time it may be different. Back with the Model S we didn't even know that the 'D' version was coming. But with the Model 3 we do. So perhaps Tesla will include these options and prices up front in the Design Studio and people ordering them will just need to wait longer.

SoFlaModel3 | March 24, 2017

My guess is they appear as options but the estimated delivery date is pushed out as a result.

JeffreyR | March 24, 2017

@SoFlaModel3 +1 "My guess is they appear as options but the estimated delivery date is pushed out as a result."

That makes sense. This way Tesla can measure the demand too. If lots and lots of people ask for the AWD, then that will allow them to ramp for it. But remember that single-motor cars take half the motors of dual-motor cars. So ramping up motor production may just take a while.

neilc23 | March 24, 2017

Elon tweeted that early reservation holders will be first in line for AWD if they wait for AWD

akgolf | March 25, 2017

Sorry Mr TrumpEagles, but you actually have to have a reservation in order to defer it.

lilbean | March 25, 2017

You don't defer your order. A reservation gets you access to the design studio. It's up to the reservation holder to configure whenever they are ready to.

lilbean | March 25, 2017

Haha! No. Clearly, you have not ordered a Tesla before.

KP in NPT | March 25, 2017

Just flag Eagles.

I expect the design studio to be like it was for the P100D/100D. When they are ready to start taking orders for AWD, it will appear in the design studio. Until then it won't be an option. Once there, those who have been invited to configure but were waiting for AWD will place their order.

SoFlaModel3 | March 25, 2017

I'm sorry but the notion that 70% want AWD is completely made up. You can't make assumptions off a small user base on a forum.

This is a car for the masses and the masses want to keep costs down.

SoFlaModel3 | March 25, 2017

Again, I think you are truly way off here.

SamO | March 25, 2017

Don't feed the trolls. Flag and move on.

It doesn't matter how many time you explain with pesky things like "facts".

1. If you have a reservation,

2. You will receive an email that you, as a reservation holder, have access to the design studio.

3. Just like today with Model S and X, you will be able to configure a car with AVAILABLE options.

4. If you don't like the options or want to wait, do nothing.

5. Or configure your car and finalize the order.

6. If you don't configure right away, you will still have priority once your preferred option (AWD, Performance, HUD etc) is available.

7. Tesla doesn't cancel your reservation while you are waiting to configure.

PhillyGal | March 25, 2017

No way 70% want AWD.
Lots of people for this model want low cost, period. It's very different to add $10k to a car price when you're in the market for a $35k car than a $70k car.

4fishtankz | March 25, 2017

I like that idea of seeing the options, cost and then deciding if you want to wait for it. After the initial shock of the RWD announcement, I still considering it. Having a configure page with them and seeing the final cost and projected delivery date would help me decide which one to get.

4fishtankz | March 25, 2017

SamO that sounds good too, but still would like an estimate of cost if I waited, right now I feel a little like a contestant with Monty Hall, "Do you want to take the RWD 3, or do you want to wait and see what's behind door number 3?"

AlMc | March 25, 2017

Will the 'P' and AWD be in the initial Design Studio? My guess: NO

I think Tesla sees how many people want the easiest to build/fewest option $35-40K cars and goes from there.

Carl Thompson | March 25, 2017

It's possible that when the Design Studio is opened (and after the S60 deadline has passed and those orders confirmed) that Tesla decide may decide that "due to consumer demand" the dual-motor and / or performance options will available from the beginning on the Model 3 after all.

In other words this may be just another way to push Model 3 buyers who can afford the S to that more profitable car.

Carl

fholley | March 25, 2017

I own a RWD Model S and am a Model 3 reservation holder. When buying my S, RWD was fine because I have an AWD ice SUV that can be driven during the winter. If I purchase a 3, it will have to be an AWD because I can't have another vehicle that is unavailable when the roads are bad. My guess is the Model 3 will be the primary (or only) vehicle for a much higher percentage of the buyers than the S and X due to its price point, so AWD will be needed by most buyers in cold weather states.

fholley | March 25, 2017

I own a RWD Model S and am a Model 3 reservation holder. When buying my S, RWD was fine because I have an AWD ice SUV that can be driven during the winter. If I purchase a 3, it will have to be an AWD because I can't have another vehicle that is unavailable when the roads are bad. My guess is the Model 3 will be the primary (or only) vehicle for a much higher percentage of the buyers than the S and X due to its price point, so AWD will be needed by most buyers in cold weather states.

fholley | March 25, 2017

Is there a way to remove duplicate posts? That has happened to me on a few occasions, and I don't know how to delete the 2nd one.

Bluesday Afternoon | March 25, 2017

@fholley

No. Just one of the many quirks of the forum. We could flag it into oblivion but we save that for the Eagle dude.

fholley | March 25, 2017

Good to know Red. Thanks--glad is isn't just me because I had no idea what I was doing to cause that to happen.

bj | March 25, 2017

@SamO - "Just like today with Model S and X, you will be able to configure a car with AVAILABLE options"

Probably the safest way to do it, but just because Tesla have always done something one way in the past doesnt mean they'll always continue to do it that way in the future (e.g. more highly optioned cars get built first)!

From a point of view of keeping customers happy and managing expectations, it would be better for Tesla to present all the planned options in the design studio, with prominent flags/warnings that some options will lead to later delivery, with an estimate of that delay. The customer makes the decision based on that information rather than sit there frustrated not knowing which way to go.

One risk in doing that is if the world changes. Tesla could offer an option that they intend in good faith to offer 6 months into the future, but then for whatever reason, have to withdraw it after those customers have waited 5 months. You can imagine the soot-storm that would errupt from customers who configured it. Many of them probably would have elected to go without and have the car earlier rather than wait, if they had have known that was going to happen. It would be very bad PR.

Also it builds in pricing risk for Tesla. If it turns out to add that option costs far more than they predicted, Tesla would have to honour the configured price and wear it.

So while I think Tesla should offer options that are not yet available if Telsa is 99% confident it will happen, I can understand it if they don't.

JeffreyR | March 25, 2017

@fholley don't worry about RWD vs. AWD working for traction. The low center of gravity, instant torque, ultra fine traction control all work very well w/o AWD.

https://www.tesla.com/search/updates/snow

Don't get me wrong, I want AWD too. But, it's more about day-to-day handling, acceleration, re-gen, and range for me. I live in sunny SF Bay Area. Granted this year the rain has been heavy, so maybe I could use AWD after all :^)

SamO | March 25, 2017

@bj,

5 seats X were allowed to configure far in advance of availability. But I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla changes anything to be different from the past.

Have you seen solar panels in the stores yet? The stores will need to change. I've heard faster charging is coming.

How about Model 3? I"ve heard they are setting up dedicated delivery centers separate from service centers.

And so it goes.

Haggy | March 27, 2017

This isn't truly a design studio issue, but Tesla did allow people to order the center console for the Model S months before it was ready for production. Existing owners had to wait for it. People with cars on order for a while got their cars without it and had it installed later. People who had just ordered the cars got them with the center console if they ordered one, but they had no way of knowing that would happen. It's not quite the same because Tesla didn't have to hold up a car order, but they did take orders for some things that weren't available.