Forums

Tesla 3 : AWD Ordering Question

Tesla 3 : AWD Ordering Question

Hello. I'd like to reserve a 3. But am only interested in the AWD version. I've read the AWD option will not be available right away. So, does this mean I can't or shouldn't reserve? Or should I reserve and then I'll have the option to add AWD by the time my turn comes up for configuring?

Sorry, newbie here.

KP in NPT | April 16, 2017

It means when they start producing AWD cars you will be in the line for one of those.

If you haven't reserved yet, you likely won't get the car before 2019. EM has indicated AWD could be available starting at the end of this year (via tweet.) So if you reserve now it's probably a safe bet that by the time they get to you, AWD will have been available for some time.

mattherrmanndesign | April 16, 2017

Thanks!

Do not listen to the forum troll. He would love nothing more than to dissuade Model 3 orders.

You will not get your car before 2019, in all likelihood, if you reserve now. Wait, and you'll be even further back in line. AWD will be out and the ramp will be far along by the time you get your car. And, the deposit is fully refundable.

akgolf | April 16, 2017

Good advice KP, no reason to wait on ordering.

mntlvr23 | April 16, 2017

@matther -
At this point, no one really knows if there are currently 350,000 reservations, or 400,000 or 600,000.
What is expected, however, is that once there is a final reveal, and as people start hearing about the Model 3 more and start seeing them on the roads - that hundreds of thousands of additional reservations could be added in a short amount of time. So if you are interested, I would reserve as soon as possible, as it is refundable, and there is something to lose by waiting.

SamO | April 16, 2017

Better off buying a Model S or X. The side benefit is that you'all get priority delivery on your Model 3

But the line isn't getting any shorter and it will only get longer when the car is revealed.

minervo.florida | April 17, 2017

There are over 600,000 orders, stop this 350,000 talk.

SamO | April 17, 2017

Only 600,000? Must be Musk's Patented Anti-Selling technique.

Wait . . . But didn't he claim "all our patents are belong to you?"

JuJo0 | April 17, 2017

EaglesPDX | April 17, 2017

Best to wait. Ordering now gains you nothing. If Tesla succeeds in its ambitious production plans, you can purchase in 2018 per the Tesla website here. If not, then who knows when you get one, 2019, 2020.

------

Seriously, don't listen to this pigeon.

PhillyGal | April 17, 2017

I know I'm late but definitely get your deposit in now if you can swing it.
The MINUTE the final release starts being shown (July we hope), the reservation list and thus wait will grow in my opinion.

I just *knew* the initial reservations would be high. I assumed 50,000-100,000. That turned into nearly 400,000. Glad I was wrong :)

SamO | April 17, 2017

@PG,

Many thought I was being "crazy" by waking up at 3am to wait in line at 10am. But not a single Model S/X owner questions the sanity.

I also did not expect there would be 400,000 reservations, but I definitely wasn't surprised. Not after waiting in line with 1500 of my newest friends.

Velander | April 17, 2017

I was also in line at 6 AM for a 9 AM opening. I was about 85th in line when I arrived, so my wife stopped heckling me about being the only one in line before opening. Since I'm on the west coast I'm hoping to get my Model 3D before the end of this year.

I would reserve one as soon as you can, then take a test drive when they are available. You might decide to get a new or used Model S instead, but you can then apply your deposit to that purchase. I'm still up in the air about a Model S or 3, but my wife thinks the S is too big. We will make a final decision once we can actually test drive the Model 3.

jordanrichard | April 17, 2017

Welcome. Keep in mind, no one outside of Tesla/Space X has ordered anything. Placing a deposit/get a reservation is just that. I would recommend as others have, that you put down a deposit and when you figurative and liter number comes up, Tesla will reach out to you to configure/actually order your car. With as many people that there are ahead of you, by the time your turn to configure comes around, AWD will be available.

Privateer | April 17, 2017

So dumb question, I ordered online first day would I be able to hold out for an AWD version or would I have to take the first bunch without AWD?

jordanrichard | April 17, 2017

Privateer, are you saying that you made a reservation on the first day and would you be able to hold out for AWD? Well, where are you located? There are people literally around the world that ordered on line the first day, but unless you are on the West coast, you won't be the first to configure/receive your car.

KP in NPT | April 17, 2017

@Privateer - No. You will be invited t configure, and AWD won't be an option so you'll wait to configure. Once it's available, you'll configure and then resume your place in line.

Frank99 | April 17, 2017

Privateer -
The most likely scenario in my opinion is that you'll be invited to configure based on your reservation date/time/region, and when you choose the "AWD" option your expected delivery date will change significantly. So, the delay will be seamless as far as you and Tesla are concerned, and completely in your control as far as the delivery v. options tradeoff goes.
There's a possibility (IMHO) that Tesla won't put the AWD option into the design studio initially; if that's the case, I expect them to announce an easy way for you to delay configuring until it's avaialble.

SamO | April 17, 2017

@Privateer,

The way that it has worked, so far, is that you configure with how you prefer. AWD will give you a date range in the future. Count on it slipping at least once. As soon as AWD is availalbe, it will be delivered in the rationally-fair, but ultimately maddening order, it was configured.

So. As soon as you are invited to the design studio, configure your car and get ready for Tesla time. Paint the garage, figure out charging. Watch all the videos. Etc.

Welcome aboard.

akgolf | April 17, 2017

I think Frank has the answer above.

chris.pribe | April 17, 2017

Oh snap! I haven't repainted the garage yet!

Thanks, SamO

carlgo2 | April 17, 2017

There are two reasons to get two motors: better traction and faster, more so because ludicrous will depend on two motors and the biggest battery.

I really hope that there will be a one-motor performance option, a P75 for example. It wouldn't be as fast as a ludicrous version but should be quite nice and far less expensive and available now. Ludicrous is outlandishly priced!

chris.pribe | April 17, 2017

@carlgo2
If the S and X are any guide, the dual motor setup will also enable slightly longer range over a single motor for any given battery pack size in the 3.

SamO | April 17, 2017
SamO | April 17, 2017

*fun garage

Tcloutier5890 | April 18, 2017

It seems everyone is assuming all future options will be made known and be available for future order from the first available ordering time.

JuJo0 | April 18, 2017

@Tcloutier5890

Not quite "assuming," just speculating based on what happened during the release of the Model S/X.

SamO | April 18, 2017

Whenever anyone claims they have specific knowledge, just ask for a citation. I've noticed that people who know what they are talking about can (usually) cite to Twitter (directly to Elon/Tesla), Tesla Website, and Earnings/Annual calls with shareholders and press.

Rarely, it is policy promulgated through Service Centers, which is harder to cite.

Just ask for evidence and think critically. :-)

Frank99 | April 18, 2017

Tcloutier -
Yes, there's a lot of assumptions. I think the "announced and expected" options will be available when the design studio opens up, even if they have a long lead time. This might include AWD, Ludicrous (Both the subjects of EM tweets), large battery (say, 75 kwh, hinted at, expected, but not specifically called out), etc. I think that options that aren't currently available for the S/X and won't be available on the Model 3 for awhile, or options that aren't expected in the Model 3, won't be shown in the design studio until they're available - Apple CarPlay or Android Auto integration, frunk-mounted dual 12-inch subwoofer, wind turbines for recharging while driving, etc.

Haggy | April 18, 2017

The only things we can be sure about are that anybody who reserves now will get a car just as soon with or without AWD, and that if you don't put down a deposit now, you will get the car even later. The only possible exception would be if you bought an inventory car, but those will be in such short supply that it wouldn't surprise me if they sell out before they are even available.