Forums

How much do options effect delivery window? (Guesses)

How much do options effect delivery window? (Guesses)

I reserved a Model 3 on 4-2-2016, I'm a non-owner and I live in San Diego, California.

As much as I would love to just get my Model 3 ASAP, I want to just completely blast my Model 3 with options. Max battery, Performance, Interior upgrades etc, I'd skip stuff like rear facing seats for example as I'm a single guy in my early 20's so no need for that anytime soon. In any guesses on to the timeframe someone in my position would expect the car? I know past thought was >options faster delivery but recent developments have me questioning that.

Tarla's Driver | May 12, 2017

It's all guesses now. The only Model S option that we can be pretty sure the Model 3 won't offer is the rear-facing seats. There just isn't room for them in the 3.

Red Sage ca us | May 12, 2017

Before Tesla reaches the 10,000 unit per week Production level, probably by the time they reach even 4,000 units per week being built, the options chosen for a particular configuration of the vehicle will have next to zero effect on the 'delivery window' of the cars. Get what you like. Enjoy.

Haggy | May 12, 2017

When I got my S, I didn't get rear facing seats and saw no reason to. Then my daughter asked why I didn't think of the grandkids. It's mostly because I don't have any, but will probably keep the car long enough that I will. Still, I think I'm better off with the space.

The only thing we know about options availability is that AWD will cause a delay for those who ordered early.

tedirelan | May 12, 2017

I'm with Red on this one. The answer, from where I'm sitting, is not much. Production will move up so quickly, adding options is nearly a non-issue entirely. A slight delay, sure, but nothing to even bother being concerned about.

Darryl | May 17, 2017

How it worked for the rollout of the Model S and Model X was the more options you ordered the faster you got your car. Even though I was over 8000th in line because I ordered a fully loaded Model X mine was made the first day of production. What confuses the issue with the Model 3 is they have said there will be a six months delay with the AWD which also then effects the performance version and ludicrous mode option. So based on history and current information if you order a non AWD which is fully loaded you should get it early on within your region. . You still have to take into account they will be producing cars by region. The next question do you want one of the first 5k off the production line. My X which was made the first day ended up being a lemon. Finally we already know reservations for employees of Tesla, SolarCity and SpaceX will be made and delivered first.

Of course Tesla could go a totally different direction for the launch of the Model 3.

Shadowmist | May 17, 2017

Thanks for the input darryl! Basically I have a budget of $75,000, not saying I want to hit anywhere near it on purpose but that's my absolute max. Clearly we don't know exactly the options you can get yet, but I'm fairly certain 75k will get me a pretty damn close or fully optioned M3. I'd absolutely love a PxxD as well as leather and premium upgrades on a M3. So for me it's either that or a pretty trimmed down new MS. Waiting till the final M3 reveal to make my choice but thanks again!

dsvick | May 17, 2017

@Paul

Like Darrly said, the AWD option won't be available until probably late this year. If you want the performance option they've already said you're looking at the middle of next year.

Haggy | May 17, 2017

Since Tesla said from the beginning that place in the queue would be a primary factor, with different queues for each region, it would be inconsistent if they bypassed people in favor of those who ordered fully optioned vehicles. With the Model X, Musk wasn't happy when every article published said the price was around what people were paying for initial orders instead of "$5000 more than the Model S." The press would give Tesla hell if after all the talk of making a $35,000 car, they didn't sell any at that price and there was no indication of if or when Tesla would get there.

The advantage of starting without certain options, aside from autopilot, FSD, a more powerful charger, or others that won't impact build time, is that throughput won't be limited unnecessarily.

The time it takes to do the automated parts of the build are tiny compared to the amount of time it takes for things that need to be done by hand. Simplifying production by starting off with whatever takes the least amount of people time could be an effective strategy. If each car needs somebody to spend hours more on a specific part of the car, that could slow down production. I have no way of knowing how much Tesla was/will be able to automate, but a sure way to get to the desired capacity is to make the cars five times as fast and of higher quality by having robots that are able to do far more parts of the build process. If Tesla can come up with some configurations that would be twice as fast to make as some others, concentrating on those could get far more cars out the door, and if the big high margin options are software, then they can still get a good margin on early cars.

If it takes about the same amount of time to make a front motor as it takes to make a rear motor, then they'd be able to make twice as many RWD motors in the same amount of time if they stick to RWD. Once they have a stockpile, that won't be an issue.

Red Sage ca us | May 18, 2017

Guess what? Haggy is correct.

topher | May 18, 2017

Again? That trick is getting pretty old.

Thank you kindly.

dd.micsol | May 19, 2017

performance will kill you by at least 6 months. you'll need a d to get p.
If you went regular with largest battery the delay will be null.
if it were me-i'd skip the p being you live in a place with no ice or snow.