Forums

Model 3 deliveries will begin in July

Model 3 deliveries will begin in July

Model 3 deliveries will begin in July and 1st day reservations will get something special according to Elon Musk:
https://www.teslarati.com/first-tesla-model-3-deliveries-july/

eeb9 | May 22, 2017

Good news!

I'm looking forward to getting my grubbly little paws on the config utility...

dsvick | May 22, 2017

Didn't we pretty much already know this though?

akgolf | May 22, 2017

You can find threads on here where it's been mentioned people waiting in line would get something special, which didn't seem fair to those with no stores in their state.

This pretty much confirms that all first date reservations will get something cool, not just those that waited in line.

Frank99 | May 22, 2017

I'm hoping that my "something special" is delivery by Christmas.

"All I want for Christmas
is my Model 3,
my Model 3,
Just my Model 3.
Gee, if I could only have
My Model 3
Then I could wish you Merry Christmas"

KP in NPT | May 22, 2017

Yes dsvick, but there are plenty who are expecting July not to be met....and it's not official until it actually happens I guess. IMO it's good news to hear they still maintain they will make July, especially as it gets closer. And especially since from the get go they said it was an impossible goal - that they appear to be meeting. :)

jordanrichard | May 22, 2017

Well, unless I missed something, this is the first we have meaningful confirmed specs on the car. The Model 3 is 11.2 inches shorter than the Model S and the 0-60 time is 5.6 seconds.

Red Sage ca us | May 22, 2017

KP in NPT: Well, I always took the 'impossible goal' as being 4,000 to 10,000 units per week of Capacity from day one in July 2017. Being the over-the-top optimist that I am, I always considered it rather skeptical of those who figured there might be a mere 'handful' of Deliveries in December 2017, and no others for the year. I think the only time there will be a 'handful' will be July, and that things will accelerate very quickly from there.

The biggest issue that Tesla will face early on will be Quality Assurance -- checking and double checking the work that was done by the machine that builds the machine. Once that is verified to be proceeding as planned, the faster the lines can move. And when unforeseen glitches are caught and fixed, they'll be able to go even faster.

I'm thinking that most anything that can go wrong will be found and fixed within the first 3,000 to 5,000 cars. And then...? The floodgates will open!

KP in NPT | May 22, 2017

Well good news Red Sage is those cars will all be going to employees. :) So hopefully issues will be addressed quickly.

In the July thing, I was remembering them setting the hard dates for suppliers, and then saying there is no way they'd be able to meet July because one supplier delay would delay the whole car. But it seems maybe the suppliers are stepping up, at least enough to get started. ;)

Sandy’s 3 | May 22, 2017

Apparently unlike with the S and X the Model 3's parts will be supplied by tier 1 or top tier suppliers. Well capitalized and experienced with high volume 'just in time' production and delivery. The delays if any may be more on Tesla's side with production line startup issues. Most likely minimize by what they have learned with the S and X.

Coastal Cruiser. | May 22, 2017

"In the July thing, I was remembering them setting the hard dates for suppliers, and then saying there is no way they'd be able to meet July because one supplier delay would delay the whole car."

That was at the 2016 annual share holders meeting on May 31st. Elon stated that the goal was to get the suppliers geared up to deliver in quantity by July 2017. He immediately qualified the statement by adding that was just a goal, and that it was not likely to be met by all suppliers, but that Tesla at least had to set an initial goal post (paraphrasing).

It is astonishing how well things must have gone for them to be saying at this point in time that actual deliveries will happen in July 2017. I mean, even if there is some slippage, it is still indicative that Tesla and its suppliers have really been getting their act together this past year or so.

Red Sage ca us | May 22, 2017

Coastal_Cruiser: Yes. To me that 'in quantity' portion was what I perceived as the goalpost to shoot for, knowing full well it might be quite a bit lower in reality. I think I described it around that time as a shakeout process. Anyone who was 'ready' do deliver up to 10,000 units per week was in good shape. Anyone that could get to a point where they might be able to manage 3,000 to 6,000 units per week would be retained -- but another supplier would be brought on as a backup. And anyone that couldn't even manage acceptable components at as much as 1,000 to 2,000 units per week would probably be fired, replaced entirely by someone who could get the job done. That Tesla 'made an example' of someone several months ago by kicking them off the project, may well have got the rest of them to 'straighten up and fly right' as the old song goes.

Shooting for the stars, and settling for Mars, or the Moon is a whole lot better than aiming for the curb and being satisfied with the gutter or the drainpipe to the sewer.

Frank99 | May 22, 2017

Well, you just have to spank one of them publicly (and boy does it get a lot of attention), and the rest sit up and take notice.
https://electrek.co/2017/01/26/tesla-model-3-canceled-order-part/

Haggy | May 22, 2017

We also get something cool if we waited in line. I hope it's air conditioning. Or maybe ice cream or an ice chest.

rajalucy | May 22, 2017

what if it is only a mint candy

mntlvr23 | May 22, 2017

I love mint

mntlvr23 | May 22, 2017

Or do I mint love?

Ross1 | May 22, 2017

You will need to cross your fingers that June is not overcast in Fremont, or there will be no solar power for the robots.

Ross1 | May 22, 2017

mntlvr23 | May 22, 2017
Or do I mint love?

Monty I worry about you, always looking over my shoulder...

PhillyGal | May 23, 2017

I love the supplier topic. It's indicative of a much broader shift in thinking. Even 2 short years go, Tesla was still not being taken that seriously (in my opinion) and now, I'd bet suppliers are tripping over themselves trying to jump onto team Tesla.

Coastal Cruiser. | May 23, 2017

I think hand in hand with that is the notion of the "machine that builds the machine" apparently being on track. I recall seeing a video of EM sometime after last year's conference commenting on that machine, and acknowledging that the project was much more complex than he had thought. His actual words were even more self-effacing (can't recall the video). It was an incredible admission that I can't think of any other CEO of a large corp. making.

But again, apparently that portion of the project has gone remarkably well too. Volume and QC still need to be proven, but it's most encouraging that the machine must be on track. I am feeling rather conservative about volume of deliveries this year, but progress up to now is sort of.... miraculous. Like the impossible has been accomplished. Which EM of course specializes in.

keokect | May 23, 2017

Maybe a larger question is whether delivery zones will take precedence over a place in the Q determined by time of placing the deposit.
Tesla should clarify this issue for all of us.
Hawaii which has traditionally been consider in the west coast delivery zone has been threatened with being moved to East coast zone. No clarification?

mos6507 | May 23, 2017

"It is astonishing how well things must have gone for them to be saying at this point in time that actual deliveries will happen in July 2017. "

It helps that the car has a blank dashboard and no adjustable vents.

akgolf | May 23, 2017

Someone around here is just a glass is half full person:).

ReD eXiLe ms us | May 27, 2017

Luckily, the glass is always full.

FISHEV | May 29, 2017

磕碰 to get rid of the spam.