Forums

Enhanced AP HW2 and up Q&A/Discussion. Firmware 2018.39.7 (V9) & Notes

Enhanced AP HW2 and up Q&A/Discussion. Firmware 2018.39.7 (V9) & Notes

**** I removed the old release notes. If anyone wants full release notes please look at the photos in the link below.****

update: 6/10/2017 (notes)

Linux Kernel upgraded from the version 2.6.36 to version 4.4.35. (17.24.30)

Here are photos of the release notes for 8.1. Thanks to Alap Desai for latest photos of (17.22.46)
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AihnWpuO55swh7I2DPRMNhfK7nEmTg

*If you have any feedback, please report it to the following email address:
autopilotfeedback@tesla.com*

If you have any questions about AP HW2, please post them here so we can keep everything in one thread. Whether it's a delivery question or when the software will be released question, please post here.

We have too many threads being created about this subject and it would be too difficult for one to research and find the answers they are looking for.
Thank you!

Latest firmware release: 2018.39.7 (V9)

Current confirmed working list on AP HW2/HW2.5

1. Turn headlights on and off auto
2. Speed Assist (Cruise control)
3. Parking assist
4. Traffic-aware cruise control
5. Forward collision warning
6. Low-Speed Autosteer no longer restricted to 35mph and can go 5 mph faster than detected speed. Autosteer on local roads maximum speed is 45 mph if speed is not detected (firmware 17.17.4)
7. Autosteer on interstate highways or divided highways (90 mph) (firmware 17.17.4)
8. Side Collision warning (works between 30mph - 85mph)(firmware 17.17.4)
9. Autopark (parallel) you must go slower than 15mph for the P to show up
10. Summon (Beta)
11. Auto lane change
12. Lane departure warning
13. Headrest adjustment
14. Auto emergency braking @90mph or less (firmware 17.24.xx)
15. Auto high beam dimming for all markets (in progress)
16. Adaptive headlights (They are progressive in nature depending on how far you turn the steering wheel - so you get one, two or three of the LEDs to light (on one side) depending on how much you turn. They are also a soft on/off in that they don't just flick on to full brightness, but slowly come up to full brightness - perhaps taking 1 second. Presumably the faster you are driving, the less steering angle is required to turn on these LEDs. The main 6 headlight LEDs do not change during this time.) (thanks TT, BigD0g and Gabe.ritter)
17. Auto wipers
18. Perpendicular parking added. 10mph or less until the P appears, then use same function as parallel. (17.22.46)
19. added feature to all cold weather package vehicles (heated steering wheel will auto-activate when getting back into the car if activated prior to exiting vehicle)
20. Blind spot detection added (v9)
21. Dashcam capability added ( [HW 2.5 and up] [V9] )

Current confirmed non-working list on AP HW2 and up

1. Auto transition to another freeway
2. Auto freeway exit
3. Speed limit sign recognition

----------------------------------------------

BigD0g | June 11, 2017

TT I'm hoping it's in reference to tighter turns and maybe just maybe when approaching already stopped cars at a stop light and slowing sooner rather then waiting for the last moment to slow the car to a stop. We'll see in a week or so...

jkilch | June 11, 2017

@TeslaTap was this 500 miles of divided highway or mixed divided and undivided? Did you use AP and get close to "silky smooth"the entire trip? Glad to hear it is working so well for you!

inconel | June 11, 2017

TT the silky smooth to me is with respect to the small jerky movements of the steering wheel on curves. It is as if hw2 approximates the curves with small straight lines or sometimes going over and having to correct whereas hw1 is able to do it in a few smooth movements. I can feel the jerky movements of hw2 in the steering wheel.

Solarfan | June 11, 2017

@TeslaTap.com,

Thanks. I learn lots here and hope to return the favor(s).

"The update lost the index or database for our large USB music ....or some other means of eliminating the hour-long rebuild".

"Best way to eliminate the long index times is using a fast USB flash drive. Not sure how large your library is, but mine is 8,000+ songs and takes less than 5 minutes to index. The number of songs is the only factor - not the drive size or file encoding method. More info here: https://teslatap.com/usb-flash-drives-for-music/"

To me, an hour to index is reasonable, IF the drive's content has changed. If it has not changed, the index remains valid. If I had an SSD drive of your speed, it would require a half hour to index.

I believe there are less expensive and more efficient ways to address the indexing issue. Playing the music does not require a fast drive. Fast SSD drives are expensive. I cannot even locate a 2 TB, fast, SSD external drive. My drive (2 TB, and tiny) was under $100, and plays music without a hitch. It has a little over 1 TB, approximately 50,000 FLAC files, each meticulously tagged with album artwork in each track.

The Model S has unknown-to-me storage for the index, and possibly the index must be deleted to make room for firmware downloads, explaining the index deletion. If there is plenty of space in the car's memory, why not keep the index through a boot and check on each start to ensure the drive, of any type, has not changed (e.g., CRC of the directory) and only re-index if required by drive content change. The Model S does keep driver profiles and settings through re-boot.

A preferable solution would to store the index on the drive and again check on each start to ensure the drive, of any type, has not changed and only re-index if required. That way, with thumb drives or similar, zero time would be required for re-index when changing drives, unless the content had been updated.

There may be a good reason why neither software approach is practical.

I would also like to see the Tesla music player honor the embedded track and volume offset tags. The volume tags are in the tracks, why not use them? Elon said the music system needs upgrade and mentioned the codec. The tracks sound fine to me with the premium system. I would prefer work on the functional and display properties of the music system.

I just wish reboot did not cause an hour delay to listen and that manually riding the volume when a track or album changes was not required.

croman | June 11, 2017

I believe Elon is discussing longitudinal (accelerating and braking) smoothness rather than my major gripe of "latitudinal" smoothness (curves and turns). I can see how each kind of "smoothness" could use refining before it comes close to a human's touch.

Wide release will come after the first leg of my road trip this week. I did this trip on 17.11.3 so I'm sure 17.17.17 will be even better but I also believe silky would be better yet, especially having full speed AEB to complement all the rest of the safety features.

jkilch | June 11, 2017

@Solarfan "If there is plenty of space in the car's memory, why not keep the index through a boot and check on each start to ensure the drive, of any type, has not changed (e.g., CRC of the directory) and only re-index if required by drive content change. The Model S does keep driver profiles and settings through re-boot."

+1 Excellent idea "to store the index on the drive and again check on each start to ensure the drive, of any type, has not changed and only re-index if required"

Appears cost effective, efficient, and adds to customer experience. I like it!

kevin | June 12, 2017

Tweet from Musk last night:

New kernel goes out next weekend, new web browser next month. Radar-only braking is getting steadily better for both HW 1 and 2.

Saxman | June 12, 2017

What is "Radar only braking"?

Leli001 | June 12, 2017

AEB is basing its function on radar only, whereas, prior to the Joshua Brown incident, AEB used the front camera. Radar was deemed more reliable and can also bounce its signal off the ground of the car in front to see two cars ahead so it can start braking even before the car in front of yours starts to brake.

This may change in the future as the AP2 software evolves and Tesla Vision becomes more reliable.

BigD0g | June 12, 2017

@Saxman braking without camera input. Also, here's a write up on silky with video!
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-firmware-v8-1-17-22-26-autopilot-2-0-smo...

TeslaTap.com | June 12, 2017

@jkilch "..was this 500 miles of divided highway or mixed divided and undivided? Did you use AP and get close to "silky smooth"the entire trip? Glad to hear it is working so well for you!"

I'd say 50% was multi-lane freeway and the other divided (double yellow) one lane in each direction. Yep quite smooth the entire trip. I do agree with others than tighter curves seem to wander in the lane a bit more than it should, so not perfect yet. Very few curves in the trip overall, so it wasn't all that noticeable. It did hold the lane well when cresting hills (for me), which I was worried would fail.

I also though the lane change function was intermittent until I realized my user errors. In a few cases I was not fully engaging the blinker (just the 3-blink), which doesn't work for auto-lane change. In a few other cases I engaged the blinker, the auto-lane change started and then I turned off the blinker about halfway into it. The car then doesn't complete the lane change returns to the prior lane. Need to keep that blinker on until it has shifted!

@Solarfan - I agree there can be improvements to the USB indexing design. I'm happy to hear your 50,000 song storage does work. Seems there were problems around 20,000 songs in some earlier versions. I hadn't thought about extra memory being required for a version download may necessitate dumping the index - it makes a lot of sense.

I did find this 2TB USB 3.0 flash drive: http://amzn.to/2raUU6o . Only $1455! (yep not too practical). I did see some 1TB flash drives from no-names at prices too good to be true. I'd say they are 100% fakes and are lucky to have 32 MB of real memory.

Boonedocks | June 12, 2017

@TeslaTap Is the tight curve wandering appreciably worse than your last firmware? I ask because there are two places on my trek home on I85N where I HAVE to hold the wheel tight and have to disengage AP to stay in my lane. I let it wander a bit if no one else is near me but if I have traffic in the right lane next to me I have to disengage every time. Whenever anyone throws out there that AP is "learning" all I have to say is drive my daily commute that I have done literally 100's of times between AP1 & AP2 and it hasn't "learned" anything. Algorithms are getting progressively better but learning a stretch of road is quite a stretch to say.

@Boonedocks - I haven't noticed any difference between prior version and 17.17.17 on curves. I didn't have many curves on my last trip - lots of boring straight stretches. I also don't think there is any "learning" on a per-car basis or much even collective learning as far as the algorithms. My guess is the radii of some curves gives the AP more difficulty than others. Hopefully the next update will improve tracking around curves.

Solarfan | June 12, 2017

@TeslaTap.com & @Boonedocks,

My first use of 17.22.46 produced both better, and much worse results than the previous, version 17.18.50.

On a twisty and well marked, 35 MPH, two lane road, 17.22.46 seemed smoother laterally and more lane-centered.

On that same section, at one point, for no reason I could detect, it suddenly veered across the double yellow line into the oncoming lane. Very dangerous! Version 17.18.50 was laterally jerky, yet had never crossed the double yellow centerline. There is light traffic on this road, yet I will not again try 17.22.46 on a road like that.

Does anyone know if AP2 has logic to differentiate double solid lines?

Also, in California, IIRC, it's OK to cross double solid lines when turning left, say into a driveway. It is illegal to cross double sets of double solid lines. Double double is equivalent to a raised island. Double double seems to be a situation that will need to be addressed for full autonomy.

jkilch | June 12, 2017

Thanks for the reply TT

kwen197 | June 12, 2017

With so many new owners trying to figure out the new release, it would be in Tesla's best interest to attach all AP release notes to the "My Tesla" "Owners Manual" permanently so all owners can read and print them.
This would cost Tesla zero.

kwen197 | June 12, 2017

With so many new owners trying to figure out the new release, it would be in Tesla's best interest to attach all AP release notes to the "My Tesla" "Owners Manual" permanently so all owners can read and print them.
This would cost Tesla zero.

Solarfan | June 12, 2017

@kwen197 +1

Saxman | June 12, 2017

Thanks Leli and Big for explanation

poloX | June 12, 2017

So, I don't even have silky smooth yet and there is already talks about next week yet another S/W update for the new Linux Kernel??? What is going on here?

croman | June 12, 2017

@Solarfan -- 17.11.3 used to cross double yellows as well on locals. It doesn't seem to see or respond to them like a human (crossing them invites head on collisions obviously). I think Tesla will quickly patch this up and it will operate like 17.17.17 but smoother. At least that's my hope. In the meanwhile, I believe AP2 is not reliable enough on local roads but it works fine on highways except on curves. If that is solved, then at least road trips will be very enjoyable and Tesla can focus on improving local experience.

It is typical for Tesla to make a major release with new features and then follow that up with a slightly updated version. We saw it last with 17.17.4 and 17.17.17 but its happened several times thus far in my AP2 experience.

RedJ | June 12, 2017

Just went in to have a tire replaced and got 17.22.46 to boot. I've only driven a short distance so far. But it definitely seemed smoother on the on the freeway on ramp curve. It also seems to brake a little earlier when coming up to a stopped vehicle on a surface street, but limited data points so far.

On a side note, I got confirmation that they will not repair a 19 in Goodyear rage touring tire. Apparently the foam can come loose and destabilize the tire or something to that effect.

RedJ | June 12, 2017

"Eagle" not "rage". That's an odd autocorrect

Solarfan | June 12, 2017

@RedJ,

. . . "will not repair a 19 in Goodyear Eagle touring tire."

Was yours a sidewall or blowout type tire damage?

Surely, a nail in a tire does not require purchase of a new tire. If so, is that a Goodyear or a Tesla policy?

RedJ | June 12, 2017

It was technically too close to the sidewalk per the technician (see here: https://instagram.com/p/BVRRP_qA6K6/) even though it didn't look that close. However, he said that even if it had been in the center they would not have patched it. I think if I had gone to a non tesla location they may have patched it.

RedJ | June 12, 2017

So, I spent about an hour driving around mountain view and los altos tonight (i even drove by the tesla hq for the heck of it) and it is unquestionably smoother on curves; if it isn't silk it's at least height threadcount egyptian cotton. I didn't notice any of the under/overcorrection that I've gotten used to over the last few months. It's also continued to get better crossing intersections.

I also tried perpendicular park a few times and it did quite well and ended up nicely centered. Even though it got uncomfortably cloSe to the adjacent cars in the process it seemed have a good reading on their location.

RedJ | June 12, 2017

"Sidewalk" = "sidewall"

BigD0g | June 13, 2017

Thanks for the intel RedJ !!! Any luck testing it when cars are untracked stopped at a light? Does it still want to ram into until the last possible moment and then start braking? Or is that getting closer to Egyptian cotton as well?

Solarfan | June 13, 2017

Thanks for the photo @RedJ. IMO, that is an easy plug patch.

Did you get to keep the tire for the next time?

RedJ | June 13, 2017

@Solarfan
I thought about keeping the tire, but my garage is already way over-cluttered. I think next time I'll try Les Schwab first. On a positive note I did get the latest update a little earlier this way :)

@BigD0g
I didn't get a chance to try that scenario. I see if I can evaluate that in my morning commute

RedJ | June 13, 2017

So, I can confirm that the "untracked stopped car" problem is not yet solved; or at least not fully.

On a side note, on version 17.27.4 I could go more than 55mph in a 50mph zone on the St Lawrence Expressway which, despite its name, is not a freeway. On 17.22.49 I'm now limited to the +5mph rule.

MX2.O | June 13, 2017

bump

mas | June 13, 2017

Have Model S HW2, I am still on 17.17.4. Haven't been notified of an update, will I get 17.22.46 soon?

MX2.O | June 13, 2017

in the same boat as you mas. Keeping fingers crossed. May be this weekend.

BigD0g | June 13, 2017

Elon said this weeked @mas, @rameshan we'll see in a few days.

inconel | June 13, 2017

Got my X back from the SC today. I asked them to let the software install so I had 17.22.46 when I picked it up. Based on my short experience from the 10 miles drive home it is indeed much smoother on highway, no more short jerky movements of the steering wheel on curves. I am happy.
The loaner, a P85DL with AP1, still seems smoother but it could be just my imagination. Another interesting thing about the loaner: when I parked it on Sunday it was on 17.18.50, when I drove it today it was already on 17.22.46. Looks like Tesla inventory cars auto-install their updates?

DaddyP713 | June 13, 2017

We just finished a 100 mile drive with 17.22, mixed interstate, highway, and local roads. Very good on larger roads. Sometimes sketchy on local roads, but surprisingly good regardless.

Saxman | June 13, 2017

I've got an 1100+ mile trip planned on the 15th, but doubt I'll get update in time to usE it.

BigD0g | June 13, 2017

I have a 1k mile trip for Saturday, don't think I'll see it until I get back, maybe we'll get lucky with a Friday night release.

Saxman | June 13, 2017

Here's hoping BigD. Enjoy your trip!

MyXinTx | June 13, 2017

I am happy to read of all the improvements from the latest updates, and enthusiasm from HW2 only owners I suspect.

As a solid AP1 user since last July, I now have about a week of AP2 experience in my new X (17.17.17), and I have been very frustrated with the lack of parity... console image having "seizures" with wiggly and jumping lines, the car-in-front icon jumping around like a rabbit, sometimes a pair of them, lack of vehicle in adjacent lanes, lack of Speed Limit sign recognition, etc.

Plus the sudden slowing and sometimes red-warning hard braking with no identifying reason, other than a crest in the road my AP1 would smoothly glide over.

I used to claim that when I had to overtake AP1, I could explain why it failed... but now more than half the time I am openly asking WHY???

I get the new vendor/hardware/software element, but it sure seems like by now parity should exist, perhaps surpassed, but expectations can leads to disappointments I suppose.

If it has taken this long just to get here we are now, how long would FSD take to refine just to present to regulators for approval? I hope not after the release of HW3... I already had that heartache...and massive depreciation of resale value.

I will try to tap into y'alls enthusiasm, so keep reporting positives

MyXinTx | June 13, 2017

I am happy to read of all the improvements from the latest updates, and enthusiasm from HW2 only owners I suspect.

As a solid AP1 user since last July, I now have about a week of AP2 experience in my new X (17.17.17), and I have been very frustrated with the lack of parity... console image having "seizures" with wiggly and jumping lines, the car-in-front icon jumping around like a rabbit, sometimes a pair of them, lack of vehicle in adjacent lanes, lack of Speed Limit sign recognition, etc.

Plus the sudden slowing and sometimes red-warning hard braking with no identifying reason, other than a crest in the road my AP1 would smoothly glide over.

I used to claim that when I had to overtake AP1, I could explain why it failed... but now more than half the time I am openly asking WHY???

I get the new vendor/hardware/software element, but it sure seems like by now parity should exist, perhaps surpassed, but expectations can leads to disappointments I suppose.

If it has taken this long just to get here we are now, how long would FSD take to refine just to present to regulators for approval? I hope not after the release of HW3... I already had that heartache...and massive depreciation of resale value.

I will try to tap into y'alls enthusiasm, so keep reporting positives

BigD0g | June 13, 2017

You too sax!!

Silver2K | June 13, 2017

is this a typo?

"On 17.22.49 I'm now limited to the +5mph rule."

Silver2K | June 13, 2017

enjoy your trip guys! drive safe!

RedJ | June 13, 2017

That is in fact a typo. I meant to type 17.22.46 :)

RCorsa | June 14, 2017

I find AP pretty smooth already. Here is a time lapse video of my commute, just hitting turn signal to change lanes and exit the highway.

https://vimeo.com/221590200?ref=em-share

johnson.todd.r | June 14, 2017

@RCorsa: I've not been brave enough to use AP2 in that much traffic (except during a test drive when I was told to engage it), but at least on fairly clear, nicely marked highways it seems to work ok, other than considering driver psychology by leaving more space when I would leave it or starting to slow earlier than it does. Just today, I found the car weaving back and forth including toward the lane with other vehicles in it. Are you seeing the same on your drive?

Also, there have been some comments that when changing lanes the car waits for a large gap; however, the manual clearly states that the car will not detect fast oncoming traffic. Unless AP2 is using the rear pointing cameras I don't see how it can detect a large gap. The ultrasonic sensors require a vehicle to be in the blind spot and seem to not sense a vehicle with its rear end at the drivers door, though it will detect curbs there. When I say "not sense" I mean that the dash does not show the little halo indicating an obstruction.

Have you had any experience with cars that are halfway in your lane? TACC accelerated on me when this happened to me last week. If I had not braked, my car (I suspect) would have rear-ended the car that was halfway in my lane (and moving out of the lane to the right).

What happens when a car cuts you off? Or when a car is merging onto the highway and it would be prudent for you to slow down to make space for them.

jdc | June 14, 2017

Fortuitously timed SC visit (valet parking trashed a wheel + wheel canopy, part finally came in), so got 17.22.46 as a fringe benefit. Have used it (in 90D) on my local commute (all secondary roads) where I have become familiar with AP2’s quirks and failings, so its a good reference.
It seems noticeably quicker on the “uptake” (to allow engagement), though still requires a straight stretch and, once engaged, still falters and “micro-adjusts” to stay in the middle of the road; somewhat better at making it through tightish bends in the road, but not perfect (drifted less but still some into the oncoming lane). It also still fails on a particularly tight curve in a service road (even at 20 mph) but, as with the last version (but not previous ones), it cancels AP and warns in advance. Also, FWIW, the auto-dimming headlights feature seems more aggressive (now engages the high beam on our long ,wooded driveway whereas before it didn’t.

Pages