Forums

Falcon Wing Door closing question

Falcon Wing Door closing question

I'm sure some of you have seen this situation. I had a weekend loan of an X and took it to the ballpark. I pulled into the space and opened the passenger doors. There was no car next to me when I did this, but before I could close it a car pulled in next to me. It was close enough so that I was worried about closing the door so I asked the driver to back out while I closed it. So my question is, does the car calibrate the opening and closing on both open and close or does it just do it on open and assume that the path is the reverse on close? Sales people had no idea.

Vawlkus | August 20, 2017

With something the size of a car next to it, the X can sense it via the ultrasonic sensors and adjust its closing routine, or refuse to close if they're close enough.

Solarman004 | August 20, 2017

Agree with Vawlkus. I've had this happen to me and the door will adjust it's closing arc for the new obstacle. I'm constantly impressed with how close I can be to another car and have the door still open and close.
It wasn't always this way until a mid to late 2016 firmware update.

georgehawley.fl.us | August 22, 2017

I would be cautious about this. The ultrasonic censors are located around the periphery of the front and rear bumpers and not amidships where the doors are. Your dash display may show whether or not the utrasonic sensors pick up the car next to you. Opening the door-no problem. Closing the door not so much IMO.

georgehawley.fl.us | August 22, 2017

Just parked next to a minivan. Sensor in FW door showed detection of minivan.
Opened FW door. With door open ultrasonic sensors don't show up on dash display of car with FW door open. I would be cautious about closing the FW door if the minivan had parked while the FW door was open.

Uncle Paul | August 22, 2017

Falcon wing doors have their own, internal sensors. It is a special, patented design that allows the sensor to see throught the skin of the door.

If a car pulls up, or if a person is standing in the path of the door, it will sense the obstruction and try to not hit it when closing.

As with all opening and closing doors, the operator is supposed to watch and make sure you do not hit anything. The Tesla sensors are good, but not perfect.

They also have GPS location sensors that will remember if the area they are in have significant obstructions. For example, in my garage they do not open all the way, as I have some overhead garage opener bars. They open as far as they can without hitting them. I still tend to watch very carefully when pressing the button, and am ready at any time to stop the opening if I do not feel they will clear.

David Trushin | August 23, 2017

Is there any way to stop the doors once they start other than the Controls? Will they stop if I use my hands to stop the motion or will I lose my hans?

ratchet | August 23, 2017

@David, the FWD's can detect pressure when opening or closing so they will stop if they run into something that was not detected but it is not designed to do so without possible damage to the paint. You can do this yourself but you should not get your hand/arm wedged between the door and the frame. You can also stop the doors with the fob even if the motion was started using the control screen.

Uncle Paul | August 23, 2017

Torque sensors will stop the door from closing if the bump a person or object. Pretty sensitive.

Biggest issue of concern is if you get a hand or finger into a pinch zone, where even slight pressure of the door closing can cause a serious injury. Same as when a standard, manual door is closed manually, but someone has a finger in the jam. OUCH!.

Just like slamming a manual door, operators should use reasonable caution to check to see if fingers are in the jam area before closing the door.

PedanticOne | August 24, 2017

You can also stop the doors with zero pressure just by touching the black plastic trim, which are capacitive. Touch them and the door stops.

MARLIN29485 | March 24, 2019

I just took delivery of my third Tesla a Model X 5 days ago (actually still not in possession of it). When picking it up we went through the FDW’s. I questioned the doors continuing to close when coming in contact with my arm until I pushed back forcefully. The delivery person said that was normal and you had to be careful. I said wow I am goi g to have to instruct my father to be careful.

Continuing: The doors would not fully open and he tried several things and finally said take the car and an appointment will be scheduled for you to bring back in the AM.

Continuing: When home I decided to test door in my carport. I stood against the wall and the door opened...wh8le opening it the door pinned me to the wall and would not stop trying to open. I pushed down as hard as I could and was able to get away and the door then finished opening.

When I spoke to the delivery person about on the phone, he said the newer models have less sensors than the older models. To me this odd...with the issues I have read about from early models, you would think it is the opposite.

At this point I am questioning if I have a lemon per say?

Any thoughts or comments from anyone?

MARLIN29485 | March 24, 2019

I just took delivery of my third Tesla a Model X 5 days ago (actually still not in possession of it). When picking it up we went through the FDW’s. I questioned the doors continuing to close when coming in contact with my arm until I pushed back forcefully. The delivery person said that was normal and you had to be careful. I said wow I am goi g to have to instruct my father to be careful.

Continuing: The doors would not fully open and he tried several things and finally said take the car and an appointment will be scheduled for you to bring back in the AM.

Continuing: When home I decided to test door in my carport. I stood against the wall and the door opened...wh8le opening it the door pinned me to the wall and would not stop trying to open. I pushed down as hard as I could and was able to get away and the door then finished opening.

When I spoke to the delivery person about on the phone, he said the newer models have less sensors than the older models. To me this odd...with the issues I have read about from early models, you would think it is the opposite.

At this point I am questioning if I have a lemon per say?

Any thoughts or comments from anyone?

lilbean | March 24, 2019

Why third? Problems with the others?

Triggerplz | March 24, 2019

Wow old thread with The Red MX PedanticOne in the house

Beckyjones.61475 | May 16, 2020

Took friends out to dinner in my Tesla X yesterday. The husband got hit in the The head from the back door and his wife got hit in the head from the back door when we dropped him off. I don’t think they’ll ever get in my car again. Why are the doors not sensing people and stopping before they hit them?

hilliard528 | May 16, 2020

I feel it is my responsibility to ensure no one in door area when I close. I do a visual and audible check. The sensors do a great job as they open and sense objects.