Forums

18 vs 19 wheels

18 vs 19 wheels

Anyone know how much efficiency you lose on the 19" wheels and how much extra noise and road harshness there is?

Tesla-David | April 7, 2018

I don't have direct comparisons on 18 versus 19" wheels. We got the 19" wheels on our M3 and are averaging 215 wh/mi, which is greater than 100percent of rated range. I expect we would be even better with 18" wheels, but with two+ months of ownership, we will get every bit of the 310 mile range specified for the M3, and we couldn't be happier with our choice.

Teslaguy | April 7, 2018

From all the comparisons I have read you lose about 5% with the 19 inch wheels, plus a small increase in noise/ firmness.

Tesla-David | April 7, 2018

I haven't really noticed any significant noise issues in our M3 as compared to our MS. I find the ride very smooth so I am quite happy we chose the 19" wheels for our M3.

Finoguy | April 7, 2018

@Tesla-David —thanks for the numbers on your mileage—I’m getting 19” wheels too and was wondering what that would do to my range—good to hear you’re having good experience with the 19’s!

Anthonygonsalvesjr | April 7, 2018

As ugly as those aeros are, does it even matter?

stevea137 | April 7, 2018

@Anthonygonsalvesjr Try taking the aero covers off once... there are nice rims under there. Tesla even sells a kits to dress them up a bit.

ST70 | April 7, 2018

john | April 7, 2018

On Thursday I placed my order with the Aero wheels but the more I thought about it and looked at them the less I liked them. Today I decide to change the wheels to the 19" wheels. I was surprised to hear they wanted to charge me $500 to change the order. I told the nice lady, it made no sense to be charging me to spend more money with Tesla. I could understand if I was trying to spend less. The nice lady talked to her supervisor and they agreed to wave the change fee so now I will have the 19" wheels and be $1,500 poorer. :) On a silver vehicle they just look a lot better. I have read estimates from 3% to 10% loss of range but I just don't believe the high end of the range and based on my experience with my S, driving above 75 has greater impact on range than anything except maybe going up hill.

Tesla-David | April 8, 2018

@john, you won't regret the change to 19" wheels. We also got silver M3, and with tinted windows, the car looks fantastic. Everyone who sees our car tells me what a beautiful car it is. We are getting better than 100 percent of rated range if you saw my post above with our M3. Compared to our S85D, our M3 is way more efficient.

H271 | April 8, 2018

Do you feel the car is too stiff or loud?

California85D | April 8, 2018

Ok the 19s looks better, and I'm not worried about range difference, but what about ride quality? Is there a noticeable difference? Anyone had a chance to try both? The car is for my wife and she prefers a softer ride.

H271 | April 8, 2018

Similar situation California85D. I'm worried about ride quality and noise. Already complaints on that in the 3 so I dont want to make it worse.

Tesla-David | April 8, 2018

I haven't had an opportunity to ride in an M3 with the 18" wheels, but can say that the ride quality in our M3 with the 19" wheels is incredible, and very quiet IMHO. We also have S85D with air suspension, so I know what a soft ride quality is.

ModelT3 | April 8, 2018

I'm thinking of getting the Aero wheels but then ordering the 18" TST flow forged from TSportline. It will be less expensive than ordering the 19" wheels from Tesla, I'll still get the supposedly better ride and distance of the 18" and I'll have an extra set of wheels for winter tires, if i want.

nwfan | April 9, 2018

I have both wheels for my 3.
19" Sport wheels delivered with car
18" aftermarket 18" wheels black glossy purchased online.

18" are quieter, better efficiency and with
my pearl white 3 the glossy back get the thumbs up.
Ride btwn the 2? Too close to call. Need more mileage
on both before I can decide.

18" - Michelin Primacy MXM4 with Flow One Wheel Black Glossy - 45 lb psi
19" - Continental Procontact with Tesla provided silver painted wheel 42 lb psi

nwfan | April 9, 2018

Couple of pictures to share.
My Model 3 and S side by side.
https://imgur.com/x5dgEsx

Model 3 Pearl White with add on black wheels
https://imgur.com/p9EkWel

Same Model 3 with 19" sport wheels.
https://imgur.com/p9EkWel

nwfan | April 9, 2018

Oops, here's the silver sport wheels.
https://imgur.com/dfTaaWo

dbatty | April 9, 2018

I ordered my Model 3 with the 18" wheels for my wife. If she wants to change them after we get the car (based on how they look), I'm considering the following two options:

https://tsportline.com/collections/18-tesla-wheels-model-3/products/18-t...

https://evwheeldirect.com/products/evt-wheel-for-tesla-model-3-18-inch?v...

The car is mostly a commuter car (about 30 miles round-trip per day) so I'm not worried about the range. However, I'd still prefer the longer tire life and marginally better ride quality from 18" wheels rather than the 19" wheels direct from Tesla.

maintreqd | April 9, 2018

I've been curious why the TSportline's flow forged wheels are a cool $200 more than the EVT's that look practically identical. These two seem to be the most mentioned options by folks considering getting non-Tesla wheels.

I'm pretty set on going with the 19's from Tesla and getting the 18's with snow tires from Tesla as well if I decide I want them. After doing the math considering free shipping and free installation from Tesla I can't see a reason to buy aftermarket.

Maybe there's something I'm not thinking of?

Abrahavt | April 9, 2018

I was told that TSportline ones are flow forged and lighter. Not sure if that is true. I wish there was a way to buy the aero wheels without the tires from Tesla. I need a set for my winter use.

dbatty | April 9, 2018

I'm sure the math changes a little bit when you need/want a 2nd set of wheels for snow tires. However, for our situation, the EVT wheels (plus shipping and install) should still end up being slightly cheaper up-front than the 19" Tesla wheels. Bear in mind that you're paying sales tax for either option. We don't need snow tires so I'm hoping to sell the aero wheels, which should further offset the cost.

If a marginally lower up-front cost was the only consideration I probably wouldn't bother. Extending the life of the tires is the real decision maker for me. My wife already goes through tires a little quickly thanks to a little bit of a lead foot. That will probably only get worse thanks to the low-end power of the Tesla. A slightly softer ride also sounds like a benefit based on some of the reviews I've read. I've never bought after-market wheels before but overall I think it will be worth the extra hassle for us.

anderslangen | April 9, 2018

Abrahavt: Tesla sells aero wheels with winter tires:

https://shop.tesla.com/ca/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-3-18_-aer...

andy.connor.e | April 9, 2018

do they sell just the winter tire rubber without the rims & covers?

billstanton | April 9, 2018

@Tesla-David: You mentioned tinted windows, was that a config option from Tesla? I haven't seen mention of it anyplace else. I've gotten them after market before and skilled hands seem to do it very well. But would be willing to throw more money at Tesla if they want it.

billstanton | April 9, 2018

@Tesla-David: I'm presuming side windows on my question, not fooling with the standard filters across the top.

Abrahavt | April 9, 2018

anderslangen : The issue is that I don't like the Pirelli winter tires that they are selling with the winter package. Those tires are not very good in the snow. Would like them to sell me just the rims so that I can use a tire of my choosing.