Forums

New Tesla Web Design 11 Jan 2015

New Tesla Web Design 11 Jan 2015

It looks like the website went through a complete redesign. I will add a list of changes to this message.

On Model S page:
1. When approaching a Supercharger station, Model S automatically parks in an open stall.
2. On private property, Model S will even pull out of the garage and meet you at the curb.
3. Lane Changing: Automatically change lanes by tapping the turn signal.

It is disappointing that lane changing is still advertised as an autonomous feature even though the driver has to check the rear mirrors and the car can't see behind more than 16 feet.

TeoTeslaFan | January 11, 2015

I just realized something they took away:

4. No edit feature of opening message in forum topics

That's very bad because I liked updating opening messages with new data. Now we can't do that anymore.

5. On Model X page now it says:
"Offered with 60 kWh, 85 kWh, and 85 kWh Performance options"

So it looks like the P85D equivalent or the Model X will be offered too.

They made lots of cosmetic changes which look better but don't improve the use. However they took away some functionality that was better.

6. Sub menus are gone from top menu:
The top menu items used to have sub menus. Now those are gone. When you open the Model S page, everything is everywhere. Some links (Engineering, Exterior, Interior, Specs) don't open to a new page. Instead they scroll down on the same page. Other links (Top 5 Questions, Charging, Events, Request a Call) open to new pages. But those links don't feel like menu items and you lose control of what is a menu item and what is not.

The problem is, because menu items are not so obvious anymore, it gives the feeling of "What else am I missing?" I'm not impressed with the new design from a user experience perspective.

7. Videos moved and hard to find:
Model S walkthrough videos are now on support page and there are no links to those videos from the Model S page. Somebody who wants to know more about Model S would want to watch them. But because they are hidden under "support" which is not the correct place in my opinion, a lot less people will watch them. I think support is where you click when you have a problem not when you want to learn more about a product.

8. "Accessories & apparel" which was under the top menu item "Buy" is not accessible from the top menu. The footer is also gone from almost all pages. You have to go to the support page. On that page by accident they have forgotten the footer links. There you can click on Accessories. Looks like work in progress which is a bit amateurish for this kind of web site.

A.G. | January 11, 2015

I agree. It looks great, but definitely sacrificed functionality.

lolachampcar | January 11, 2015

My guess is they are becoming less of a cult company and more of a consumer company. Most consumers need not be exposed to everything from the top menu. The company is better off limiting initial options to those items the company would like to direct a new customer to.

jordanrichard | January 11, 2015

After reviewing all the praise they give to the AP system, I now can agree with those feeling like they were deceived about the car's AP capabilities. Read the description of the AP and autonomous features and they give no indication that these are in the future. I know that else where in the site it mentioned AP software updates, but not in the very detailed description of the car find a parking spot on a street and parking itself.

There is also a typo in the section titled "Inspired by the Endurance of an Athlete". They spelled coupe as "coup".

I do like the new look, but they certainly do give a very different impression of what the car can do versus what it actually can do.

tes-s | January 11, 2015

Looks great! Marketing has now fully taken over the website from the engineers.

lolachampcar | January 11, 2015

jordan,
Even more telling for me is when I walk into a Service/Sales center and see the huge display up on the wall labeled AutoPilot with all the sensor rings and such surrounding the car. No place on that graphic do they remotely indicate that the stuff is not real yet and not available on the car. It is a little sad that a company and product that has soooooo much going for it still feels the need to play these games. It's like they are trying to keep up with imaginary competition. All the MB owners in the world can complain all day that MS does not have all the S Class bells and whistles and yet the MS is head and shoulders ahead of the S Class today and is getting better at an alarming rate. The writing is on the wall. There is no reason or need to hype. Hype, in this case, just damages credibility.

jordanrichard | January 11, 2015

lolachampcar +1. The full compliment of AP features are real just in concept only, they should not be advertising it as fact. It is going to be years before all these features are allowed. Yes I know California allows autonomous cars/driving, but that is California. It is going to be years before all 50 states will allow such things. There are simply too many legal issues.

brian_in_TX | January 11, 2015

@jordanrichard, for the very reasons you mention I have to believe TM is in the final stages of testing this and that it will roll out very soon. It would be crazy for them to get so far ahead of themselves otherwise, right?

They do so much well, I hope my gutmis correct.

brian_in_TX | January 11, 2015

Gutmis? What the hell is that? Please sub "gut is"...

Tstolz | January 11, 2015

Sounds like the marketing department is a little ahead of software ... I agree Tesla should be careful with that .. but reading between the lines it suggests the AP software release may be really 'soon'!

BG121 | January 11, 2015

Removing the footer with internal links on every page will kill their SEO score. Amateur hour, Tesla. I'm disappointed.

shop | January 11, 2015

A third party company does the website for Tesla. Consider firing them, Tesla. Yes, the website looks nicer, but geez, how could you fail to beta test the site and roll it out with the missing links, not to mention the decreased functionality.

And yes, I agree that touting AP functionality as fact is a giant huge CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT waiting to happen, but in this case Tesla will lose, big time.

Anyone running the company still? Elon, hello?

Ruby110 | January 11, 2015

At last the specs now show road clearance numbers for coil and air suspensions. If they were there before, I missed them.

Sgt Barone | January 11, 2015

I love it! Looks fresh and clean.

CEYA GAS | January 11, 2015

The new main page states that the top speed for the S85 (single motor) is 125 mph, yet going to the design studio the top speed shows as 140 mph for this model. Having not tried to hit the top end in my car, I'd like to know: how fast will my car go??

electric pilot | January 11, 2015

Did anyone notice that the Model X tab no longer has any information? Any chance there is going to be an announcement at the auto show and the model x tab will go live after that with full option ordering? That's my theory.

http.com | January 11, 2015

On the main page, when you scroll down to the P85D, the topspeed says 155mph, and there is no asterisk. Does this mean they forgot to include the asterisk w/ additional information indicating "coming soon via software update", or the car now does 155mph? Gotta wonder.

Agree with some other posts above; ALOT of emphasis on the autopilot features, many of which are not yet enabled. Maybe Tesla IS planning to enable these features in the imminent future! Either way, Tesla should be more clear about having the technology built into each of its vehicles vs. actually enabling the feature set.

carlk | January 11, 2015

Tesla is exactly the same company and Model S is exactly the same car before and after the website change. People are reading too much into it. It's a nice Sunday morning, at least in my neck of the wood, jut go out and take a drive.

http.com | January 11, 2015

@carl-

Raining in many parts of socal. But, still thinking about taking a drive. Free car wash.

evaandmarty | January 11, 2015

I think it's really nice and all the complaining and whining bums me out
By the time a consumer takes delivery in 3 months they will get what's advertised
Chill

tes-s | January 11, 2015

I agree with @carlk. People are reading too much into this. This is still the same Tesla - they have always announced early and then delivered. AP is no exception - it is the norm, and what most companies do.

For as long as I can remember, "complaints" in this forum have been answered with "patience", "chill", "all will be well in a few months", "what is a few months when Elon is changing the world?", "even without (put in your favorite feature), it is the best car ever", etc.

drsaab | January 11, 2015

I think the new website is way better. More detailed info that before. And more info on autopilot which I do not see as fully achievable, but if it is, It will be awesome!

Gen3Joe | January 11, 2015

I noticed they are still planning to go with 60kWh and 85kWh options for the Model X. I think the 60kWh option will be about as popular as the 40kWh option was on the Model S. I would expect it to get a 175 mile range or worse given the extra weight, greater cross sectional surface area and heavier weight.

Gen3Joe | January 11, 2015

I meant a larger drag coefficient as the third reason. Didn't mean to put the extra weight twice.

garygid | January 11, 2015

Somewhat difficult to get to the online "store" for accessories.
Very difficult to get to the forum.

Clicking the map graphic of my nearest Service Center seems to
show the Mission Viejo Service Center, which does not yet exist,
it seems (on the old site it was listed as "coming soon").

Perhaps they need an option for the nearest "live" Service Center,
Store, or Supercharger, not just imaginary facility.

Clicking one if the 3 small maps, apparently for my nearest Store,
Service Center, or Supercharger, seems to get me into an endless
loop of Google Maps, that even many Back button taps will not
escape from. Using Android Browser on Samsung Tab 2.

So, it looks like the site needs considerable testing and fixing.
Hopefully somebody is busy testing each link and function.

Previously, the many links at the bottom of the page were
at least dependable, and "always" available to navigate the site.
Now it is just guessing where to go, and how to even find out
what is availble. Currently, it seems amateurish.

stephen @newpor... | January 11, 2015

It is raining here in SoCal (finally!) I am running in and out, short drives (any excuse to drive my 2-week old S85 ... no 6.1 yet). I made it through the website in between trips. Not really easier to get through but, seriously, if you have a Tesla, are a forum frequenter, did the change on the website really alter your life?

Now... time for another trip...

TeslaTap.com | January 11, 2015

Interesting that the video on the order page has Elon's phone number (although it goes to a message that the call will be recorded, then rings without answer). I very much doubt it's Elon's number and if so, will likely be changed!

omarsultan.ca.us | January 11, 2015

Lord, when did this forum become home of the whiney?

They announced AP was soon as they started shipping cars with the HW and folks needed to make sure they ordered the tech package to be able to use it--or can you image the whining from the "why did they not tell me AP was coming" crowd. At the announcement Elon said the features would be enable as a series of SW updates over the next year. The concurrently released blog says "[b]uilding on this hardware with future software releases, we will deliver a range of active safety features, using digital control of motors, brakes, and steering to avoid collisions from the front, sides, or from leaving the road. " - the same blog that is linked to from the AP section under the Model S tab. The recent release of 6.1 would seem to indicate that is what is happening.

And god forbid Tesla market upcoming features - like, say Apple, who has been advertising their watch since last fall and is not expected to see the light of day until this spring.

***FLASH INTERNET POLL***

So, all you product management geniuses, should Tesla:
A) Not talk about any feature until its in production and then deal with the "why did they not tell me this was coming" whining
B) Discuss future roadmap and then deal with the "why is it not here this instant" whining

Xerogas | January 11, 2015

So am I blind? How does one find the forums from the homepage now? The only way I found this discussion was by opening an old bookmark and tweaking the URL

TeslaTap.com | January 11, 2015

@omarsultan.ca.us - who's whiney? You have an interesting topic, but seems unrelated to this thread on the new website design.

I'm fine the way Tesla does announcements. There is no perfect solution. Providing advanced notice of major changes can kill a single product company quite quickly, and I don't think anyone wants that (except for the stock shorters).

I'm thinking of Osborne computers - they announced the new computer coming soon - all existing sales stopped, and the company never recovered.

CRASCH | January 11, 2015

The graphic design portion is fine. I don't love it, but it isn't bad.

From a user experience perspective it is okay. I have a problem with the lack of structure that others have mentioned. "How do I get to the forums as prospective buyer?"

The autopilot advertising isn't a big deal. I can see how consumers could misinterpret the ads as the features are available. They could fix this with a small disclaimer. "*Not all Autopilot features are active. All Autopilot features will become activated through over the air updates."

murphyS90D | January 11, 2015

@Xerogas: "So am I blind? How does one find the forums from the homepage now? The only way I found this discussion was by opening an old bookmark and tweaking the URL"

Click Support
Under Forums at the bottom of the page click "Tesla Model S"

FelixMendeldog | January 11, 2015

Teo @UK

5. On Model X page now it says:
"Offered with 60 kWh, 85 kWh, and 85 kWh Performance options"
So it looks like the P85D equivalent or the Model X will be offered too.

Interesting. It also says that Model X comes standard with dual motor all-wheel drive—yet we know they cancelled this option for the S60…hmmm…

Roamer@AZ USA | January 11, 2015

I like the new pages. Took all of 30 seconds to find my way around. It works better on an iPad screen now.

The 2016 Super Charger map is great. Chargers in Northern Arizona. Yea. I will not have to go to Vegas to get to Salt Lake City from Phoenix AZ.

Getting to the forum thru My Tesla may cut down on trolls.

Roamer@AZ USA | January 11, 2015

@ Felix, The X has always been four wheel drive only. But there is a thread on the X forum of people wanting a cheaper two wheel drive model.

bobrobert | January 11, 2015

Change is so unsettling, so threatening! Stuff to learn, and how far will the repercussions extend? Could you imagine such trauma as switching from an ICE to a BEV.. or a car with regular firmware updates? Strap in - we're riding in a shapeshifter, and could wind up undersea or even on Mars!

FelixMendeldog | January 11, 2015

@Roamer@AZ USA, sorry, I should have been more clear: my point was that many people suspected that since the AWD S60 was dropped, there would not be a X60 at all, since all X models will have AWD. Now it appears that Tesla will sell an AWD X60 but not an AWD S60. Just interesting.

Bighorn | January 11, 2015

@Felix
I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that barebones description of the X.

Nicoletta | January 11, 2015

I found the forum by clicking 'Updates', then scrolling to the bottom of the page. Agree with the general sentiment here, it looks great, but too complicated.

I wonder if removing the forum link was intentional. Blog post comments are now less visible because you have to expand them. This could mean forum will be permanently less visible. It could also mean forum is on its way out.

@FelixMendeldog,

That is an interesting point that you make about the 60 kWh Model X. Why would Tesla create a platform for a dual motor 60 kWh car? That car doesn't exist in Model S. One possible explanation is that the platforms are actually like this:

Platform 1: S85 = S60
Platform 2: S85D = X60D = X85D
Platform 3: SP85D = XP85D

This way 7 different cars are made from only 3 different platforms which already exist. I think this makes sense because we know that one S60 owner was able to upgrade to S85 officially by Tesla.

The means the current single motor S60 and the single motor S85 share the same platform. Therefore all dual motor non-performance cars should also share the same platform.

@Gen3Joe,

I agree the X60D range will be disappointing. You said 175 miles. I say best case scenario is 194 miles. It will be interesting to see the actual number. I think anything below 200 is disappointing because that is the limit Elon set himself.

3s-a-charm | January 11, 2015

Boy they really buried the Forums... Must be all the internet fans have turned into whiners. :)

georgehawley.fl.us | January 11, 2015

Everything that was there is still there just with a different path except Model X page that shows the anachronistic photo with rear view camera instead of mirror but nothing else. Look for an updated version"soon"..

Hart | January 11, 2015

I am fine with the new site. You can please some of the people all the time, but none of the people all the time...

tga | January 11, 2015

@Teo 4. No edit feature of opening message in forum topics - I didn't think they could make the forum software any worse...

If there was a big number on top of this website that displayed a score on how good this website is in terms of user experience and that number went from 89 to 73 after this redesign, I'm sure fanboys would still find reasons to argue the new version is better.

I guess the ultimate Tesla fanboy motto is "Tesla is always right." If Tesla does A, Tesla is right but if they stop doing A, Tesla is still right. If people want B and Tesla doesn't do B that, then Tesla is right. But if Tesla later decides to do B, then Tesla is still right. Fanboy logic is amazing.

I see the same logic in all subjects, not just this one. Btw, I consider myself a fan and not a fanboy.

Hart | January 11, 2015

Get a life, Teo. And for god's sake, if you can afford it, get a Tesla soon.

Red Sage ca us | January 12, 2015

Considering the wholesale change to the layout of the BLOG section of the website, I expect the Forums will undergo a major change... SOON.

TeslaTap.com | January 12, 2015

@Red Sage ca us - If that's Tesla "soon", it may be a long wait!

J.T. | January 12, 2015

@TT You might be a Tesla owner if you prefer later to "soon"er. :-)

Pages