Forums

Undercarriage Composite Tray Ripped

Undercarriage Composite Tray Ripped

Hey Fellow Tesla Peeps,

Has anyone had problems with the undercarriage composite trays? From what I know there are two of them. One located in the front between the wheels and one in the back between the wheels. My back composite tray started to rip last week as seen in the photos. I took it in to Tesla and they can replace it for roughly $250. Not covered by warranty b/c the service person claimed it was due to natural driving issues. Normal wear and tear if you will. Feels bad man. At the service center I didn't make a stink about it and I went ahead and made an appointment to replace it this coming Saturday. But as I thought about it over the weekend I started to feel that this is a bit ridiculous. My Model 3 isn't even 3 months old; I took delivery on June 6th. I've been driving the car for 2 months and 14 or so days with about 3,800 miles. I noticed this when the car was around 3,500 miles. (I did a decent amount of driving this weekend and past week) My driving isn't anything crazy that would warrant composite trays to rip. Majority of my daily commute is highway. I live in a very suburban area (NJ resident here) so the roads are all paved; its not like I'm driving on rocky rough roads. Grant it there are potholes but no way is my Model 3 undercarriage scrapping the road. There would be more evidence of that besides the composite tray. I didn't notice any other damage to the underneath of my car when I was inspecting it with the service person at Tesla. I honestly do feel like I got a weak or bad piece but I have no way of proving that. The 3 imgur links are pictures of the ripping composite tray, check it out yourself. It really does suck that my first problem with my car happened within 3 months of receiving the car and its on me. I honestly wouldn't care if it was covered. Oh and I suppose I should state the hanging piece does drag against the road from time to time. The noise it creates is how I noticed this ripped in the first place.

So what I want to hear from you guys is the follow.

-Has anyone else had a problem with the undercarriage composite trays?
-Should I call up Tesla and claim I shouldn't be responsible for this?
-What is the function of this piece? Is it for protection? Aerodynamics?

Thanks for your feedback peeps!
Ethan

https://imgur.com/KEgZIuD
https://imgur.com/jYp6RXd
https://imgur.com/cmPhIIy

PS - This really doesn't have to do with the issue but another aspect of this issue that put a sour taste in my mouth is that my local service center(Paramus, NJ) is booked until August 30th. I accepted an appointment with the Brooklyn NY service center b/c I didn't want this to get worse as I waited for August 30th to come around. Not being a car guy I fear the damage that could have been caused. For anyone one in the area you know how much of a pain going into NYC can be, especially with a car. $15 dollar toll plus all dead stop NYC traffic. Oof, it certainly is a big pain.

Magic 8 Ball | December 19, 2019

A repair bulletin is NOT a recall.

vmulla | December 19, 2019

Brugge | December 19, 2019
@rxlawdude there was a recall issued for the front and mid aero shields for all 2017-18 Model 3's.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153430-9999.pdf

If you haven't had them replaced already you should get them inspected.
---

Good to know. Thanks

rxlawdude | December 19, 2019

@Brugge, thanks for the link. To be precise, the document is a Technical Service Bulletin, not rising to the seriousness necessitating a recall.
Unless we complain about it being damaged, it appears that Tesla will not, unprompted, proactively perform this procedure.

rxlawdude | December 19, 2019

@vmulla, the TSB says it is in effect when the customer reporting damage/missing covers. It does NOT say by customer request to check it.

Now, I expect that Tesla wouldn't play games and charge a diagnostic fee for a customer request. I mean, I could lie and claim the covers are missing or damaged, but that is less than ethical.

kallian | December 19, 2019

Wow just had this replaced dec 18, they charged me for it. I told them I went through puddle 2 times over 3 days of heavy rain and it started to make noise on the highway and ripped off after being wet.

I should go back and tell them about this bulletin, such BS.

vmulla | December 19, 2019

@kallian,
Sorry for you, but atleast you know. How much were you charged? Is this something we can replace ourselves?
I wouldn't be surprised if some 3rd party folks made a more durable replacement.
Also, I'd happily buy extended warranty from Tesla if they offered it.

kallian | December 20, 2019

They charged $220. I did get the newer material as they stated. I took delivery of mine sept 2018 so it definitely falls in that bulletin category. There is aftermarket shield being made, although I don't think it will be any better/cheaper than the new shield. The part is $165 and $40 for install + tax. This was at the santa clara SC.

You could do this yourself and save the install cost, but remember, you have to be under the car, and don't rely on flimsy jacks to keep the car up when you under there. You need a proper lift. You can also take the part to a regular garage, but I'm sure it will cost about the same.

rxlawdude | December 20, 2019

@kallian, they should NOT charge for a TSB fix.

vmulla | December 20, 2019

@rxlawdude,
Too late for @kallian, just an unfortunate mistake. Sometimes it's just better to move on.

Petercsak | December 31, 2019

I drive my wife's LR Model 3 on Christmas Eve in the rain. I went through a puddle but didn't notice anything. The next day the car was making a rubbing sound and I looked under the car and both the front and rear shields were torn and dragging. I contacted service and they made an appointment and told me it would cost $453.00 to fix them at the Oxnard service center. I have never had a car that could not drive through a puddle before. This is some crazy shit! If they have redesigned the shields then this is an admission of faulty design.

Lonestar10_1999 | December 31, 2019

Peter, I am surprised so many folks have complained on this forum that it’s unfair for the customer to be responsible for the undercarriage damage. It would be so much more effective if you got your local tv station’s consumer reporter to hear your story.

I bet Tesla would rather eat the repair cost than have your story broadcast on the evening news, then go viral.

wei.peng2004 | January 12, 2020

The same thing just happened to my Model 3. I can't believe they use such composite/fabric underneath a car. Just booked an appointment via the app, which is in 2 weeks. Not sure if it's safe to drive in the meantime.

kartikgupta | January 17, 2020

Same thing happened with me on my Model 3. The car started making noise while driving as it's hitting the road. The next appointment is really far out! what to do!

majassow | January 17, 2020

@ kartikgupta: jack the car up, insert jack stands, cut away loose material or just remove all together. Duct tape unfortunately doesn't stick to this stuff, especially if moist.

kallian | January 17, 2020

For folks that are driving with it torn, let it be, it will get torn off on the highway at somepoint and the noise will stop. I know sounds funny, but you need your car and not using it till the appointment doesn't help.
So just drive, it will tear on its own if you have no way to rip it out your self.

-TheJohn- | January 17, 2020

Eh, that's a pretty big piece of felt like material . I'd not suggest folks let it get torn off at highway speeds..

If your car was manufactured before November 18' they should replace any failures for free. They did mine with no complaint. You may need to remind them that there was a bulletin regarding this matter however.

Magic 8 Ball | January 17, 2020

Wouldn't a piece falling off the car, scraping the ground, be a roadside service call?

Twochewy | January 18, 2020

If you need to cut off some material (or replace them yourself) you can drive it onto ramps. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/RhinoGear-11909ABMI-RhinoRamps-Vehicle-Ramp/dp/B0...

peter_m_o | February 5, 2020

Just has the same problem on my car. I looked underneath and the rear tray was ripped and sagging. I also noticed that two of the bolts (front/middle) were missing. Looks like they were never installed.

coselectric | February 5, 2020

Duct tape. (Until your service visit). Or cut away any material dragging on the ground. Try tin snips.

Don't jack your car up and slide under it unless you have the proper equipment and expertise.

Pages