Forums

Should I buy a Tesla tire repair kit

Should I buy a Tesla tire repair kit

Should I buy a Tesla tire repair kit. Do most of the owners have one of these. Any alternative suggestions.

shawncordell | September 22, 2018

I bought the Tesla one but I’m sure most any tire repair kit should suffice.

patrick40363 | September 22, 2018

Yes. I will bring it with me on Wed when I pick up my 3.

Xerogas | September 22, 2018

@Rnakkana: I bought it. Mostly use it to pump my bike tires, but it feels good to have a backup just in case roadside assistance can’t reach me.

Bighorn | September 22, 2018

No. Get a compressor and plug kit.

kaffine | September 22, 2018

I went with other options. I have a plug kit and compressor. I also have an aerosol can of fix a flat and a bottle of fix a flat that is pumped in using the compressor similar to what Tesla has. I also got a jack and lug wrench just in case I need to remove a wheel in order to plug the tire.

I got to use the plug kit on another car a few weeks ago. It is easy to use just make sure you have all the tools needed. Something to remove the nail or screw that caused the puncture, the reamer and plug tool along with the plugs, a razor knife to trim the plug and finally a compressor. It was actually easier than I thought to use the plug kit only issue was that the kit didn't include something to remove the nail or a razor knife to trim the plug. Thankfully I was in my driveway so just had to grab the tools from my garage.

I travel too far from cities to rely on road side assistance. Under ideal conditions they are 80 minutes out under normal conditions I would be waiting 2 to 3 hours.

billlake2000 | September 22, 2018

kaffine, why do you leave nails/screws on your driveway?

kaffine | September 22, 2018

I ran out of space in my garage had to store the hardware somewhere. :)

Been doing some home remodeling work recently and could of had a screw end up in the driveway when hauling debris to the dump. Or I could have picked up the screw somewhere else and it just went flat overnight.

billlake2000 | September 23, 2018

I opt for you picked up the screw somewhere else and you luckily made it home. Best place ever for getting a flat!

roger.klurfeld | September 23, 2018
SalisburySam | September 23, 2018

@roger.klurfeld, thanks for the link to the product you selected. I see that it is supposed to be safe for TPMS systems, but I saw no mention of the acoustic innards of the Model 3 tires. Is that an issue for “slime”-based tire repairs?

843TM3 | September 23, 2018

YES!! I have a nightmare of a story that caused me to have to leave my brand new Model 3 on the side of the road overnight that a tire kit would have saved. Roadside was no help, tow trucks we’re not equipped to properly tow the vehicle and local shops did not stock the tires. In my opinion this is a must have. I am sure there are other alternatives if you want to save a few bucks but I will say that the Tesla version is nice and has material on it that allows it to stick to the carpet in the inner trunk to keep it from moving around.

socalbtc3 | September 23, 2018

I wonder if some aftermarket vendor would make a donut tire kit with a scissor jack and tire lug wrench, at least to take on long trips, for around town AAA works in our metro area.

Something like this: http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Performance_Spare_Tire/BIM-SST-E90-KIT.html

jefjes | September 23, 2018

I know and hope it will never be needed but I bought jack pads for the special lift points on the Model 3, an electric 12V scissor jack rated to 2 tons, tire tool with the right size for the lug nuts that has an extendable arm for extra leverage, and extra tire plug/leathers with glue. I already owned a portable 12v compressor and all the necessary repair tools. They all now reside in the space below the trunk and will only be brought out if roadside assistance is too far away or there is no cell service to call them.

Bighorn | September 23, 2018

Slime is a crime. Just say “No.”

lilbean | September 23, 2018

It took me forever to inflate my tires with the black and decker pump. It was so difficult to pull the pump off and the air kept escaping. I had to keep reinflating the tires.

roger.klurfeld | September 24, 2018
hmgolds | September 24, 2018

I don't know which of the DIY tire plug kits are best, but in looking at them I noticed that many seem to be for off road, low speed applications, not passenger tires. Maybe it's a liability thing.

Having heard of 2 local stories of people stuck overnight because they could not find the right size tire, I bought a kit with Slime and inflator for travel in rural areas. Same one that roger.klurfeld referenced. Not sure how well they really work..

I might pick up one of the plug kits as well.

mikes | September 25, 2018

I got the Tesla repair kit. If you use any other "slime" type you may encounter TPMS issues and Tesla may have you pay for replacement of such sensors. Using the Tesla kit will not affect the warranty. The kit fits nicely beside the destination charger in the Frunk. It can save a lot of time, in case of a flat, compare to waiting for roadside assistance, even worse what if there is no cell phone coverage where you have a flat.

keistylist | May 22, 2019

Have anyone compare the Spare Tire Kits *SEALANT* - Mopar. It’s like $30-40 and looks identical to the OEM Tesla version

jithesh | June 10, 2019

Saw this in the description for Tesla Tire Repair Kit "The damaged tire should be replaced, along with the TPMS sensor, at your earliest convenience. Replacement tire and TPMS sensor are not covered under Tesla vehicle warranty." Since the tire and TPMS sensor are not covered under warranty why do people say that Tesla Kit does not affect warranty ?

SalisburySam | June 11, 2019

I think the most reasonable answer to the slime kit purchase is @Bighorn’s: just don’t. Your solution to a flat tire is dependent upon your patience, handiness, preparedness, needed trunk space, and your desire and ability to do some dirty work. The solutions are several:

Easiest: call Tesla’s roadside assistance to replace tire, fix yours, then either pick up fixed tire or replace. Downside: could be lengthy wait, may not be in cellular signal area to call for help, might not have any tires available in local area.

What was the norm a decade ago: carry your own properly-inflated spare/wheel and call roadside assistance to mount. Downside: could be a lengthy wait, loss of truck space to carry tire, may not be in cellular signal area.

What we did decades ago: carry your own spare/wheel, jack, lug wrench. Downside: loss of trunk space, dirty job, not fun in bad or cold weather.

Good judgment today: carry plug kit, and inflator. Downside: loss of some trunk space though much less than carrying a spare, tire damage could be not repairable, possibly hard to find site of air loss, dirty job.

Today’s more comprehensive approach: carry plug kit, inflator, and jack/jack pads. Downside: loss of trunk space, tire damage could be not repairable, dirty job.

SalisburySam | June 11, 2019

“...truck space” = “...trunk space”

chuck.greenfield | December 17, 2019

My last two cars (Nissan Leaf and BMW i3) both came with a repair kit including sealant. I never used them, but liked having them for peace of mind. I have - and have used - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018EUDHW and it works really well - IMHO as good as a professional repair. I think I'm more concerned about having a compact compressor that doesn't take all day to fill a tire than I am about having the Slime, but I will probably buy a kit that includes the Slime. If I'm at the side of the freeway on a narrow shoulder I'd probably prioritize getting out of there quickly over doing the better repair with a plug.

Anybody have any thoughts on which of these kits has the strongest compressor?

pnagy | December 17, 2019

You might want to think twice about tire sealants or slime.

https://www.dealnews.com/features/Heres-Why-You-Should-Think-Twice-Befor...

I bought a spare tire kit from:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KS3VLWT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

and simply put it in the large trunk at the back. If I get a flat, I simply use the supplied scissor jack and jack up the car and replace the tire long before road assistance arrives. This spare tire kit is designed for Tesla Model 3 (not sure about Model S or X).

I also got the jack pads from:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QR19NM9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

to make sure the jack does not connect to any of the battery assembly underneath the car.

Peter

posinator | December 17, 2019

spend your money on a plug kit and a strong compressor, skip the slime imo. dont let your tires get too bald...

don.lind | December 17, 2019

ya know? I have a plug kit and a 12-v compressor/tire-pump...
They're not in my Model 3.
Gonna go fix that right now...

Most of my life has been with cars that had spares and jacks.
Our more recent Prius didn't, and we picked up a nail a few years ago on a road trip.
The plug/compressor would have helped then.
With the Prius, we were able to carefully drive with the nail still in about 30 minutes to a place to repair the tire and continue on our way.
No need to rely on luck, though...
Don

M3phan | December 17, 2019

@ pnagy, same here, got the spare tire kit from modern spare for longer road trips for peace of mind… Keep the Tesla air compressor kit in my car for local driving.

vswendsen | December 17, 2019

As others have said here, stay away from slime. I used it once and it didn't work which made getting a plug in even harder. It also caused the first plug to come out but the second one held. I have the modern spare and a plug kit and compressor in my M3. Just know that the Modern Spare has two different bolt patterns, one for the M3 and one for some other vehicle. The rim isn't marked which holes are for which vehicle.

Bighorn | December 17, 2019

Slime rarely offers much beyond straight air to get you out of a small puncture situation.

Big_Ed | December 17, 2019

Get a plug kit with sturdy metal handles, not cheap plastic ones. Have had more than one reamer break in my hand. If working at home, a cordless drill with 1/4" bit makes quick work of it.

Nail punctures in treads usually cause slow leaks, not catastrophic failures. Most of my flats have been in my garage overnight.

If you plug a tire from the outside, you should have it properly repaired with a patch from the inside later. Some of that is probably CYA by tire company lawyers, but it's a cheap fix and seems prudent on a performance car.

M3phan | December 17, 2019

@ vswendsen, two diff bolt patterns. Ok that good to know. I assume the proper holes are obvious when the tire is placed on?

vswendsen | December 18, 2019

M3phan: No they are not! I decided one day to put the spare on in my garage just to see if there were any issues that might pop on when doing this on the side of the road somewhere. Spent all afternoon and thought I had the wrong spare. Emailed the company and they insisted it fit a Model 3. I tried it again and that is when I realized there were two different bolt patterns. If we could post photos it would be easy to show you. When you look at the spare tire there are five "arms" on it. The bolt holes that seem to be dead center of the "arms" are not the ones you use for a Model 3. Use the ones that seem to be slightly off center of the "arms". I have duct tape with arrows pointing this out in case I forget. It would seem that Modern Spare would mark what bolt pattern is for what vehicle but they don't.

billtphotoman | December 18, 2019

@M3phan and @pnagy - I also got the Modern Spare kit. I put it in the trunk when I do my longer road trips (often into areas without cell coverage). I always keep an air compressor and plug kit in the car for in town or short trips. The air compressor and plug kit is _probably_ enough since it covers nail in tire type issues but I like the spare as backup. So far I had one nail in tire incident that resulted in about a 1 lb / hour leak. The air compressor alone allowed me to reach Discount Tire and get it fixed. I can't imagine not carrying at least an air compressor.

blackz06vette | December 18, 2019

Get a plug kit and pump. If it's a leak on the front, you can slowly advance and turn the wheel to expose the nail without removing the tire (easy access). The rears mean you will probably be doing this while laying on the ground, but is still doable if you don't mind getting dirty.

My office used to be share the parking lot with a HVAC company so the parking lots were always full of sheet metal screws. I was plugging a tire every 6 months without issue.

M3phan | December 18, 2019

@ vswendsen, ok, good, the holes off center. Odd indeed that they didn’t mark them...

Syed.Hosain | December 18, 2019

@roger.klurfeld | September 24, 2018
@socalbtc3: Take a look at https://modernspare.com/product/2017-2018-tesla-model-3-complete-kit-car....

Roger, thanks for this info! Where in the car do you keep this item? Is the spare tire (in the kit) able to fit in the lower area in the rear trunk, or do you keep it in the front trunk? Or ... ?

Thanks!

pnagy | December 18, 2019

Modern spare tire kit is too large for front trunk (frunk) or lower area of rear trunk. Only place is in rear trunk.

Peter

pnagy | December 18, 2019

Or you could put Modern spare tire kit behind the front seats (between front and rear seats) on the floor.

Peter

fedorbt | December 30, 2019

I would advise against buying the Tesla kit. I bought one and tried to use the pump function (no slime). The pump worked for 2 seconds and was dead afterwards. I contacted OnlineOrders@tesla.com requesting to exchange the defective kit. There has been no response.

yudansha™ | December 30, 2019

@fedorbt Try your local SC. They might help you out faster.

fedorbt | December 30, 2019

I would advise against buying the Tesla kit. I bought one and tried to use the pump function (no slime). The pump worked for 2 seconds and was dead afterwards. I contacted OnlineOrders@tesla.com requesting to exchange the defective kit. There has been no response.

M3phan | December 31, 2019

I’ve had one for 18 months (use it for the air pump not the slime) and the air pump still works.

dj | June 1, 2020

Can someone share a link to a good compressor and plug kit?

pdeputy | June 2, 2020

I bought a spare M3 tire with rim off Craigs list. I only put it in the car if I'm going out of town. I'll call AAA to change the tire. Maybe at some point I'll purchase a scissor jack also. Yes and lug wrench.

NorthValley | June 2, 2020

I bought this...

https://modernspare.com/product/2017-2018-tesla-model-3-complete-kit/

Anytime I go on a trip of more than 200 miles away from my home (AAA tows me home at that distance!) this comes in the trunk. Hopefully I'll never need it!