Forums

Registration on delivery

Registration on delivery

Hi there! I am getting my Model 3 delivered today. Does Tesla take care of registration or do we have to do our own registration? Any information would be helpful.

ArcticStation | October 7, 2018

It depends. I live in Maine and had to use home delivery--I received my car last Thursday. Now I have a brand new Model 3 sitting in my garage while I await delivery of the paperwork. My wife and I get in the car and drive up and down the driveway, play with the display, pretend we are driving somewhere and then put the car back in the garage. If you pick your car up in a state that has a Tesla facility, you should be able to drive away with a registered, titled and licensed car. Gotta go, it's time to take another trip to the end of the driveway......

lelson3485 | October 9, 2018

"It depends. I live in Maine and had to use home delivery--I received my car last Thursday. Now I have a brand new Model 3 sitting in my garage while I await delivery of the paperwork. My wife and I get in the car and drive up and down the driveway, play with the display, pretend we are driving somewhere and then put the car back in the garage. If you pick your car up in a state that has a Tesla facility, you should be able to drive away with a registered, titled and licensed car. Gotta go, it's time to take another trip to the end of the driveway......"

Huh? since when do you need anything more than a temporary sticker to drive somewhere? Is Maine still part of the US? :-)

ILoveMyModel3 | October 9, 2018

@lelson3485, you can get temp dealer tags emailed to you if you contact you Tesla advisor. Until your actual tags come in.

@rrajendra, I live in Texas and Tesla submitted the registration information to the DMV if you completed and turned in the registration docs during delivery.

SalisburySam | October 10, 2018

@rrajendra, for me in North Carolina, I picked up my vehicle fully registered. I was transferring a tag from another vehicle I own and all paperwork was completed before I arrived. I only had to give the Tesla rep my plate to mount on the car.

As @lelson3485 mentions, you should have a temp tag good for at least 30 days, and usually easily extended if you still do not have your plate/registration completed. No reason not to be enjoying your car, even if you have a very nice and exciting driveway.

ArcticStation | October 10, 2018

@lelson3485

"Huh? since when do you need anything more than a temporary sticker to drive somewhere? Is Maine still part of the US? :-)"

I looked into getting a temporary plate. In Maine, a dealer can obtain a temporary plate good for fourteen days. As an individual I can only apply for a one-time “transport” plate good for one trip to, and if needed from, a specific destination.

ArcticStation | October 10, 2018

@lelson3485

Yup, Maine is still part of the United States. However, in my Maine town, we live further north than 90% of Canada's population.

rod | June 25, 2019

@articstation

How long did it take you to get the documents? I took delivery last Saturday and have the car sitting in my garage...

--Rod

Lonestar10_1999 | June 25, 2019

In Pennsylvania the car comes with temporary registration so you have something to show the police if you get pulled over. A few weeks later, the state issued registration comes in the mail. Unfortunately, the state inspection is temporary because Tesla is not certified for performing state inspections. The temporary inspection is only good for 10 days so you need to get that inspection taken care of almost immediately. I got mine inspected at a Toyota dealership.