Forums

DASH CAM not working

DASH CAM not working

mstubbs007 | October 20, 2018

Tesla 2016 model S with Ver 9 software update dash Cam not working after Ive tried two USB sticks formatted FAT32 and TeslaWebcam folder created not working no matter what I do. No icon being displayed for camer at top of screen. This really sucks to get somthing and it doesn't work

Tesla 2016 model S with Ver 9 software update dash Cam not working after Ive tried two USB sticks formatted FAT32 and TeslaWebcam folder created not working no matter what I do. No icon being displayed for camer at top of screen. This really sucks to get somthing and it doesn't work

Bill_75D | October 20, 2018

Dashcam will never work on your car. It only works on 2017 I/2 and later cars with AP 2.5

OK thank you for the input and I appreciate it. Thanks would have been nice if they put this in the release notes after the software update has been completed Successfully. I'll keep my old Tesla and save myself some money. I guess I can buy a new Dash Cam a lot cheaper than a new Tesla ha ha.

OK thank you for the input and I appreciate it. Thanks would have been nice if they put this in the release notes after the software update has been completed Successfully. I'll keep my old Tesla and save myself some money. I guess I can buy a new Dash Cam a lot cheaper than a new Tesla ha ha.

EVRider | October 20, 2018

Even if you had a newer Tesla that supported the V9 dashcam feature, you still might want to buy an aftermarket dashcam depending on what you need.

PatientFool | October 20, 2018

are we sure it'll never work on a AP 2 car? from what i've read, folks don't know exactly why it works for AP2.5 and not AP2. what about next year when folks upgrade to FSD and the computer is swapped out?

drlin | October 25, 2018

TeslaCam worked for a few days and now it is not working, I can not see the icon in the status bar any more. What is the problem?

akikiki | October 25, 2018

I don't know - can't see the end. Hold it up closer to the keyboard and push the Enter button again.

SoCal Buzz | October 25, 2018

@drlin, try formatting the USB using full option (uncheck Quick Format), which takes about 20 minutes. Mine has worked consistently since doing so. Also, some have suggested that you long press the camera icon before removing the USB from Tesla, which either pauses recording or ejects the USB. Regardless, the full format seems to have stabilized my Dashcam.

PatientFool | October 25, 2018

ya i've not seen anything that says it'll NEVER work for AP2 cars.. just not right now. We don't even know why it doesn't work for AP2 cars.

BPSoCal | October 25, 2018

I had a small crappy usb drive and had trouble at first. Switched to a 16MB thumb drive and it’s been working for about 5 days without a hitch.

Sagarvr | October 28, 2018

PROBLEM FIXED!
I too had difficulty getting my MS to recognize the dashcam USB. At first, it worked well. Then after a few days I saw the 'x' symbol on the dashcam icon. Previously, I would reformat the drive, recreate the TeslaCam folder and it would start working again. Went through this exercise multiple days. Yesterday, the reformatting trick did not work. The MS just did not recognize the USB drive which is a SanDisk 32GB mini drive, about thumb-nail size.

I rebooted the MCU and the dashboard computer and that too did not help. Finally, I used a suggestion of a contributor on this blog (thanks SoCal Buzz!, see above) and reformatted the USB using the most secure option. On a Mac, it is under security options in Erase. The 'strongest' version (drag button to far right) will rewrite the USB seven times. Be aware that it can take a very very long time to complete, over an hour in my case. Then created the TeslaCam folder and voila! The MS recognized the USB and started recording. Now it is yet to be seen how long it will keep functioning. Fingers crossed!

jpedrohh | December 1, 2018

Is there a way to set it up to auto erase old recordings once it's full?

pnajar | December 1, 2018

According to the release notes the Tesla webcam only keeps 60 minutes of video all recorded in about one minute segments. No mater how big your USB stick it will erease the oldest segment beyond the one hour.

Catmuffy | January 14, 2019

My 2018 model there excepts the flash card and records, my 2017 model s doesn't recognize it, must be I don't have the correct software....does Tesla sell the update...?

TeslaTap.com | January 14, 2019

@Catmuffy - You need HW2.5, and my guess is your 2017 model doesn't have it (cars built before Aug-2017). More details here: https://teslatap.com/articles/ultimate-tesla-dashcam-guide/#what_about_t...

There is no retrofit for HW2 to HW2.5, although if you bought FSD, when the HW3.0 retrofit becomes available (free to prior FSD purchasers), it should add in the dashcam feature. Look for it in the next 6 months.

skertz | January 14, 2019

Per Tesla docs, https://www.tesla.com/support/software-v9
"Dashcam is only available for Model S and Model X cars manufactured after August 2017, and all Model 3 cars."

open your driver's door and on sill and look for the Mfr Date. My 2017 was a month shy.

tagman12 | February 26, 2020

will Dashcam work on cars manufactured prior to August 2017 but have full self driving purchased and enabled?

Bill_75D | February 26, 2020

No

EVRider | February 26, 2020

@tagman12: Cars with HW2 will not likely support the dashcam, but once those cars are upgraded to HW3 it's possible they will. Tesla hasn't upgraded any HW2 cars to HW3 yet, so we won't know until they do. It also depends on whether any cameras get upgraded when HW3 is installed.

fredsiemon | March 1, 2020

Have tried to get Dashcam to work with 3 different flash drives & the system doesn’t seem to recognize any. It did recognize the first drive for a while but stopped, even after I reformatted the drive. Is it possible to get specs on the flash drive/dashcam system? It would be great if the dashcam videos could play back through the Tesla App so you could see remotely when someone/something had activated the Sentry system. Any suggestions?

EVRider | March 1, 2020

I suggest you check out TeslaTap's dashcam site here: https://cammem.com