Forums

Wind noise at > 60mph

Wind noise at > 60mph

Wind Noise:

Just got my model 3 yesterday. A lot of wind noise at highway speeds as if one of the window is cracked open. Seems something wrong with weather sealing. Did not expect this on brand new car.

My 18yr old Honda Civic had this problem as rubber strip on one of the widow is a lit wilted, sometime window glass wouldn't fall in grove tight.

Not sure, if something is wrong with my car. Did anyone else experienced similar issue?

arkreymer | November 3, 2018

That is not normal. Report it to Tesla.

gmr6415 | November 3, 2018

A lot of people have talked about the plastic triangle where the front mirror mounts to the door not being well attached. Both of mine stick out a little at the top, but I haven't heard any excessive noise.

I think there is supposed to be a fix for this and/or a new part coming out.

vmulla | November 3, 2018

I had early wind noise problems and they were multiple causes. The best advice I can provide is to ignore this forum and go to the service center. Finding out the source of the noise can be tough, it often involves two techs riding in your car at highway speeds - one driving and another trying to locate the noise.
The info on the forum is good, but for something like this a visit to the service center is better than time spent on the forum.
BTW, my car is much quieter now after the fixes. Good luck.

nssri | November 3, 2018

Thank you all for quick responses.

I will contact Tesla service.

timc.jb | November 3, 2018

I have the same issue. Took it into SC and they confirmed it was louder than normal. Got called same day that they fixed it but when I drove home the wind noise still exists. I will probably take it back again at a later time since I don't have 2 hours to waste to drive to the nearest SC, 1 hour each way.

cnsf | November 3, 2018

Definitely go to service and have them help. our center happens to be fantastic. They take the time and never call you crazy. I did find I got some wind chirping at highway speeds in intermittent situations. I got a rubber seal from RPMTesla that fits in the crack between the windshield and roof and my problem is 95% better.

Newstvguy | November 6, 2018

Similar, here. Techs said it’s “normal.” Could it seem louder because there’s no ICE to hide it?

msmith55 | November 7, 2018

There is a gap filling rubber strip that reduces wind noise available from RPM products.

Magic 8 Ball | November 7, 2018

Be careful with gap filler aftermarket solutions. Gap fillers may trap moisture and cause bigger problems.

rkalbiarEV | November 7, 2018

Yeah. This is a little frustrating. I have two M3. One VIN ~35000 and one ~66000. They both have wind noise. They both seem to com from passenger window. Passenger side for sure. They 'fixed' the earlier VIN once. The 'fix' lasted about two weeks. The newer once was quiet for about a month but now also has the same wind noise. Have not had that one looked at yet but it seems they (service) may struggle with this....

Yeah. This is a little frustrating. I have two M3. One VIN ~35000 and one ~66000. They both have wind noise. They both seem to com from passenger window. Passenger side for sure. They 'fixed' the earlier VIN once. The 'fix' lasted about two weeks. The newer once was quiet for about a month but now also has the same wind noise. Have not had that one looked at yet but it seems they (service) may struggle with this....

Oh and that ICE thing is bogus. I've had three EV's before these M3's. A 2017 Chevy Volt, a 2018 Prius Prime and a 2015 BMW I3. All were/are much quieter and no wind noise, compared to these M3's.

Not that the Model 3 is unacceptably loud or their levels of wind noise but surely disappointing.

Tuning In | November 7, 2018

Yes we have two of these and no matter what the service center does to try to resolve it, nothing helps. They replaced the triangles, checked the seals, etc. Yes the car has way more wind noise than my previous EV’s: The eGolf and the 2018 Nissan Leaf.

garibaldi | November 7, 2018

My car is at the service today (for the second time) to fix this exact issue. First time they replaced the windshield, but it didn’t work.

ReD eXiLe ms us | November 7, 2018

msmith55 is always WRONG.

Sparky | November 7, 2018

Has anyone tried the gap filler available from RPM? I would agree with Magic 8 Ball that you want to ensure no moisture trapped beneath the filler but it would appear to be a good way to smooth the airflow around the glass surfaces.

@Sparky Every time this topic comes up, the RPM thing is mentioned. However, the RPM gap filler is for the normal woosh sound that the Model 3 has. If you take your car to the service and complain about it, they won't do anything because it's not considered a problem. I don't have a problem with that noise myself.

The noise we're complaining sounds like a window is slightly down. The technicians can immediately notice the problem on a test drive. I don't think the RPM thing would fix this since I used blue tape to simulate it and it didn't fix the problem.

nbarad | November 7, 2018

I have the exact same issue - I am sending it to the Cleveland service center later this month. I also did get the same line from the mobile tech - Techs said it’s “normal.” Could it seem louder because there’s no ICE to hide it?

@garibaldi; thanks, and you're right, my car is about as good as it gets and all I want to do is seal the glass gaps which obviously cause some turbulence and therefore noise. I just want to get the finest nuance out of David Gilmour's guitar while I'm blasting down the highway. Maybe I'll just try frog taping the gaps to see if it makes any difference before putting the RPM strip in.

gballant4570 | November 7, 2018

I have not experienced any wind noise issues.

Carl Thompson | November 7, 2018

@Sparky

Floyd or Gilmore's newer stuff?

Update: they changed my windshield (again). I went to pick up the car but this time I asked to have a technician to drive with me to double check. The wind noise is still there, so they kept the car for the night.

I'm almost resigning myself that they won't be able to figure out the problem.

On a related note, my loaner is a Cadillac sedan and it has a similar but much quieter noise when I drive it at 70mph. I'm pretty sure that the design of the side mirror might be responsible, since it looks a lot like the Model 3 mirror. My other cars all have a fully covered side mirror (no gaps).

@Carl Thompson; I love the old Floyd stuff but the best Gilmour in my opinion is the newer re-releases of the old Floyd tracks. "Remember that Night" is probably the best live concert available, although Live at Pompei is not too far behind.

And "Rattle That Lock" is a good album of his from 2015.

Carl Thompson | November 7, 2018

@Sparky

Thanks. I'll check those out as I haven't really listened to his newer stuff but loved Floyd (including post-Waters Floyd).

jon | November 7, 2018

No excess noise at 100+.

Good idea on taping. Maybe try taping that side mirror too?

Big1matt | November 7, 2018

Electric cars cant do 100+ mph

HollywoodFLM3 | November 7, 2018

I have the same issue on the drivers side. Sounds like the window is cracked open. Once the new car euphoria wears off you start to notice these things. Standby for a post from me on ride quality.

ptagizad | November 7, 2018

My new T3 is experiencing wind noise on the freeway ... others with the same model have the same complaint. Seems to be a common problem!

BigY | November 8, 2018

Honestly, the wind noise above 60mph was the primary reason for me to cancel my day 1 reservation. I rented a model 3 in July for a day and a week later did a test drive from Tesla store. However, I couldn't stand the wind noise in both cars. My current car is a 2017 Mazda cx9 which is extremely quiet, and the interior is very nice too (I have the top of the line trim), not to mention the heads up display. I was going to trade in my wife's 2012 x3 for M3, but I just couldn't accept the noise levels. The interior is ok, I could of get used to it, but I couldn't handle the noise. So the end of the day I canceled my reservation and will wait for next year’s improvements hopefully Tesla will find a way to reduce the noise levels in the car.

garibaldi | November 8, 2018

I'm convinced the mirror design is not helping, and maybe the whistling is coming from the mirror assembly. See the same problem here with a BMW with a similar "U" shape gap on the mirror:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872307

Carl Thompson | November 8, 2018

The noise of the Model 3 was definitely more than I expected from a higher end car but I've gotten used to it. It probably helps that my other two cars are currently a little noisier (a ragtop convertible and and a Rav4 EV with what have to be the world's cheapest, hardest tires).

It is something you get used to and the service can address some issues.

hokiegir1 | November 8, 2018

@Big1matt -- I'm going to assume this is your sarcasm font? Because I can assure you -- a Model 3 can, and in fact, it's pretty easy to get there without realizing it with a straight, open stretch of road.

ODWms | November 8, 2018

Curves too. Lol!!

Big1matt | November 8, 2018

@hokiegirl sarcasm font, But don't own one yet, so taking your word ;) yours too @odwms

mikeeunice | August 1, 2019

Had the same issue with my M3 also where the sound is coming from the window on the driver side. Passenger side is not as loud. The Tesla tech also noticed it and they took the car for a day and half to diagnose the issue without success. The service rep told me to take it to a dealer with freeway access so the can do more detail diagnose on the sound in freeway. They were trying to charge me a diagnostic fee for a car I just got for a month? They finally waived the charge. They also replaced my front bumper due to paint peeling off on a new car. They originally didn't want to fix it, but had to argue on it to have it fixed due to paint defect per warranty. Tesla rep tried to blame me for not checking during delivery as it's my fault for not checking the gaps for paint peeling. Anyway...will need to schedule another service to see if they can fix the noise that is very noticeable even at non freeway speed around 45mph.

raqball | August 1, 2019

mikeeunice | August 1, 2019
Had the same issue with my M3 also where the sound is coming from the window on the driver side. Passenger side is not as loud. The Tesla tech also noticed it and they took the car for a day and half to diagnose the issue without success. The service rep told me to take it to a dealer with freeway access so the can do more detail diagnose on the sound in freeway. They were trying to charge me a diagnostic fee for a car I just got for a month? They finally waived the charge. They also replaced my front bumper due to paint peeling off on a new car. They originally didn't want to fix it, but had to argue on it to have it fixed due to paint defect per warranty. Tesla rep tried to blame me for not checking during delivery as it's my fault for not checking the gaps for paint peeling. Anyway...will need to schedule another service to see if they can fix the noise that is very noticeable even at non freeway speed around 45mph.
----------------------

Wow, sorry to hear of your problems.. What SC was this at? I am asking because the Portland SC has been stellar in regards to a few issues on my M3. I had a cosmetic issue on the dash they took care of and they went out of their way to take care of a spoiler issue and to get my new wheels and tires installed...

I guess not all SC are the same.... The Portland SC gets massive kudos from me and 10 thumbsup..

Good luck, I hope your issue get resolved..

Zsar | August 1, 2019

i thought this forum is for model3 tesla owner only

Scarab | August 10, 2019

I have the same issue with my M3, was told it could be fixed by mobile service. And to expect a call in a couple days to schedule the appointment. After a couple weeks I called back and was told no appointment was requested and was told they requested the appointment for me and I received an email confirmation. That was a few days ago and still no call received.

From what I understand mine is either bad seal around the drivers window or an adjustment in the window. It didn't sound like a hard fix but need to get the appointment. The website doesn't offer me mobile service just bringing it to the service center more than half a dozen towns away. I will see what happens this time, if need be I will just bring it in.

otterdad | October 19, 2019

I took mine to Service shortly after receiving delivery with complaints of wind noise at about 30 mph. The replicated in a test drive and replace the driver side mirror housing. Problem solved. No cost.