Forums

Anyone have a steering wheel cover recommendation?

Anyone have a steering wheel cover recommendation?

I find the 14" M3 wheel very slick and want to install a leather cover, but am concerned with how it may affect the grip sensors associated with lane keeping. Is this a warranted concern?

Magic 8 Ball | November 11, 2018

The steering does not have "grip" sensors" The "sense" it senses is a slight "torque" applied to the wheel like you are trying to make the car drift over to another lane steering with your fingertips. The car needs to feel that light resistance (kinda like it is countering your attempt to make it steer where it wants to go.

wayne | November 11, 2018

A more important concern is that it could interfere with the air bag.

rsingh05 | November 11, 2018

I'd like to know about the airbags as well. Would be great to have an alcantara cover for the steering.

ColonyGolfer | November 11, 2018

Tks, 8-ball.

Magic 8 Ball | November 11, 2018

Pay attention to those that also advise to not put anything on that could interfere with other functions, good advice there.

jordanrichard | November 11, 2018

No wheel cover is going interfer with the airbag.

Personally I woudln’t put a cover on because a cover can slip since it literally just drapes over the wheel.

rsingh05 | November 11, 2018

A cover that is stitched on properly would not slip because if the spokes. Also it should not cover the airbag - I've seen some people applying flim on the airbag and that looks dangerous.

Now I don't have any personal experience with steering wheel covers so it would help if someone who has done so in other cars can advise.

ODWms | November 11, 2018

As far as the ‘nag’ requirements, they seem
To be satisfied by clicking one of the steering wheel buttons one tick up or down.

tm4000m | November 12, 2018

There are pics of folks attaching crystals, and "bedazzle" stones to the center of their steering wheel (non-tesla), effectively taking a safety device, and turning it into a claymore.. If you do decide on a cover for the steering wheel, make sure it's not held on with just elastic, those things slip and are very dangerous.

detayls | November 12, 2018

My recommendation is the leave the steering wheel uncovered.

eshadian | July 15, 2019

I found that I always nicked my steering wheel leather at some point so I was determined not to do it this time. I bought a stitch on steering wheel cover that is suede and leather. It feels great, doesn't affect AP, and the suede allows me to grip the steering wheel really good. Best thing is I can remove it anytime I want and change the design. There is also a Carbon Fiber version so for the price of $110 it is well worth it.

AKAZALBASCH | July 16, 2019

I sprayed 303 Products Automotive UV Protectant Spray, 16 fl. oz. multiple times on the spongy steering wheel of my m3.Lets see if someone can comeup with ky jelly suggestion.