Forums

[PSA] If you tail light is out, auto lane change will not work.

[PSA] If you tail light is out, auto lane change will not work.

For the past couple days after 46.2 update, I was not able to use auto http://movieseriesworld.com/ lane change while in auto pilot. I thought it was some software bug, and even did couple bug reports. I was so confused to why it's not working all of a sudden.

Fast forward couple days. I was picking up my kid from daycare, another parent mentioned to me that my tail light is out. I went to check the car, the passenger side tail light was out. I thought that's probably what's keeping the auto lane change to work. I went on the highway to test out auto lane change, sure enough, I can auto lane change to the left fine, but it would cancel right away if i try to change to the right. The passenger side front blinker is noticeably faster when the rear is out as well.

I thought this would be useful information to share with the community.

Scheduled my first mobile service, let's see how that goes.

SO | December 13, 2018

Good to know and good safety measures by Tesla.

Since the car knows it’s out, it would be nice to have it display that on the dash.

reed_lewis | December 13, 2018

I thought that all the Tesla HW2 cars had LED lights which do not 'burn out' But I guess that if the controller is broken, the light will not work.

But that interesting. I am having a different issue in that my surround view is limited because of one of the side cameras failing. Of course it is intermittent and happens randomly. I have a appointment in a week to see if they can fix it a second time.

carlk | December 13, 2018

Interesting. If the car could know that the light is out maybe it should let you to know that too.

Yodrak. | December 13, 2018

"Since the car knows it’s out, it would be nice to have it display that on the dash."

Agree.

"LED lights which do not 'burn out' "

LEDs may not "burn out", but they can fail and a small percentage of them do.