Forums

What year model S have transferrable free supercharging?

What year model S have transferrable free supercharging?

Can't seem to find answer and sales guys were.... meh... not so sure. If I were to buy a used model S from a private party, anyone know what years have transferrable free supercharger access? I believe all the CPO from Tesla do. But it's unclear about private sales... was told "maybe around 2015-2016" was cutoff.

Thanks

Bill_75D | December 28, 2018

My December 2016 has transferrable supercharging for life.
I think the cutoff is somewhere in mid 2017.

Bighorn | December 29, 2018

Around 1/15/17 ordering cutoff with varying delivery. Moving target at the time.

cb500r | December 29, 2018

I can tell that in mid of 2017, it already was tied to the first owner.
I think Bighorn is right.

SO | December 29, 2018

Ordered by 1/15/2017 and received by March 2017 was the cutoff for transferable free supercharging.

I have one of the last MS’s that qualify for the transferable free supercharging as well as AP2 HW. Ordered mine in November 2016 but I pushed out the build until January 2017. AP2 came out on October, 2016.

There is only about a 6 month build window where you can get a used MS with AP2 AND free transferable supercharging. If you can get one of those, I think that is the best scenario.

stevenmaifert | December 29, 2018

If you are asking about transferable free unlimited Supercharging for the life of the car, here is the answer: https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-our-supercharging-program

"For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel. Beyond that, there will be a small fee to Supercharge which will be charged incrementally and cost less than the price of filling up a comparable gas car. All cars will continue to come standard with the onboard hardware required for Supercharging." Note: The referral program has modified the foregoing numerous times since this blog post, but in most cases the limited free Supercharging goes with the owner and not the car.

$$$$ "These changes will not impact current owners or any new Teslas ordered before January 1, 2017, as long as delivery is taken before April 1, 2017." Note: As you can see, the cutoff was not specific to a model year, but is based on ordering and delivery dates. Basically all model year 2016 and earlier, and some 2017s that were ordered prior to 1/1/17 but built after that date. If you are considering a third party purchase of a used Model S, ask the seller to check their My Tesla account for this statement: "You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle ... If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner."

p.c.mcavoy | December 29, 2018

@stevenmaifert - The text you provided was the initial plan, but there was such an on-slaught of last minute orders before end of the year that the website couldn’t handle it and the cut-off date was actually extended to mid-Jan 2017 as Bighorn correctly summarized in his earlier post.

As to the build window with AP2 hardware and unlimited supercharging, it’s hard to define that precisely on the back end as you’ll have a mix of Q1’2017 builds, some ordered prior to mid-Jan and others ordered after that cutoff which ended up likely getting produced in similar windows. The safest bet buying from a private party is look for a 2016 MS with AP2. While that will cut out a few vehicles, unless you can get a snapshot form the prior owners online account it can be difficult to confirm it it really has unlimited supercharging, especially if you’re buying it from a used car dealer and not a private individual.

stevenmaifert | December 29, 2018

@p.c.mcavoy - Thanks. This 1/12/17 blog post implies that without actually saying extended and apparently open ended delivery too: https://www.tesla.com/blog/building-supercharger-network-future The free Supercharging has been such a moving target it's hard to keep up with all the changes, let alone try to answer a question for a specific time in history.

S75RedRidingHood | December 31, 2018

If the seller is still having access to the car account, ask them to show you the account web page and you should see this:
"If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging."

EVRider | January 1, 2019

Note that Tesla discontinued the annual 400kWh supercharger credit for cars ordered after Nov 1 (or maybe Nov 2) 2018.

msloan88 | April 14, 2019

Anyone selling an AP2 with free supercharging?

giri.damerla | July 20, 2019

Anyone selling Model S with transferable free supercharging? I'm looking for 2016 or 2017 models with close to 300 mile range (90, long range models).

EVRider | July 20, 2019

@giri: Most 2017 cars won't have transferable free supercharging, because you had to order by mid-January 2017 to get that. Note that HW2/EAP was introduced in October 2016, so make sure you know what you're getting if you buy a 2016. I think it would be a mistake to buy a HW1/AP1 car at this point.

rxlawdude | July 20, 2019

@EV, HUH? AP1 is quite functional and stable. And it reads signs, too. :-)

Yes, if an AP2 and AP1 are the same price and have FUSC, the 2 wins.

giri.damerla | July 20, 2019

@EVRider Thanks! I just found out that the used Model S cars (2016 and 2017 models that I was interested in) on Tesla website no longer offer the free unlimited supercharging (and heard that it was taken off only yesterday). About a week ago, I saw a used 2017 Model S 90D with FSD and free supercharging for $67k - still kicking myself for not purchasing it then, oh well!

So, I'm now going with a brand new long-range all-wheel-drive Model 3 with full-self-driving option. I'm now all set for the future full self driving capability :) for under $60k with a model 3.

EVRider | July 21, 2019

@rxlawdude: Yes, AP1 works well but it’s never getting any better. EAP is much better than AP1, and can be upgraded to FSD if you want that, so why invest in dead-end technology if you’re buying a car now and EAP is in your price range?

@giri: I’m wondering if you were misinformed about supercharging. I don’t think Tesla can remove free unlimited transferable supercharging from cars that already have it. All 2016 Teslas have this feature.

stevenmaifert | July 21, 2019

My 2012 85 kWh Model S doesn't have AP1, AP2, FSD or XYZ, but I still look forward to actually driving it every day and I have FUSC for life :)

trevor58 | July 22, 2019

@stevenmaifert
I’m feeling ya, brother. Happy 7 years of driving and free supercharging!

SO | July 23, 2019

My S90D 2017 does have free supercharging that will transfer, FSD, sunroof, ventilated premium seats, winter package and premium sound package. Only thing it doesn’t have is rear child seats. Silver. Just under 37k miles.

I think there are about 6 months worth of vehicles that have both AP 2 and free supercharging that transfers.

EVRider | July 23, 2019

Tesla recently started removing free unlimited supercharging from used vehicles that previously had it, but only when you buy the used vehicle from Tesla. @giri was correct above, but the change hadn’t been publicized yet. Read about it here: https://electrek.co/2019/07/22/tesla-removes-free-unlimited-superchargin...

MySin_AZ | July 23, 2019

None-Tesla just removed when buying used cars from them...anyone yet hear what happens in a private sale?

Pungoteague_Dave | July 23, 2019

"anyone yet hear what happens in a private sale?"

Tesla cannot legally remove it from a VIN that is privately owned and which has it for life. However, when they take title on a trade-in, they can change whatever conditions they choose, recondition the car or not, sell with or without warranty, "free" charging, etc. But a private owner with transferable rights retains those rights by law.

Hammonddave | July 23, 2019

i don't know if that's correct. It was made veery clear to us that FSD that we pay for does NOT transfer to a new owner. Why would free supercharging be different?

Bighorn | July 23, 2019

It was explicitly stated as transferable for the life of the vehicle prior to January 2017

inconel | July 23, 2019

FSD does not transfer to new owner, really? Seems strange that a feature that we paid for does not transfer in a private sale. Of course if it's traded back to Tesla they can add/remove any feature they want.

EVRider | July 23, 2019

Who says FSD doesn't transfer to a new owner? Autopilot transfers, why wouldn't FSD?

Seachange01 | July 23, 2019

I purchased a used red 2015 P85D for $50,000 about 4 months back. It had 24,000 miles on it and I got free unlimited supercharging for life. The car's initial price new was $127,900, so I feel like I got a great price. It does have AP1 not 2, but I am honestly fine with that. I LOVE the free charging and use it all the time. I haven't spent a cent charging at home, as I also get free charging at my work. So between Supercharging sessions and work, I am good.
I can't recommend highly enough to anyone thinking about it.. a used LOW MILE Model S is an AWESOME buy.. especially if you can get it with free lifetime supercharging. I am happy beyond words with my decision.

akikiki | July 23, 2019

Good report Seachange01. Yes, I think you got an awesome deal.

EVRider | July 23, 2019

I wonder how much this change will impact Tesla’s sale of used cars. Cars coming off lease for the next 9 months or so will have free unlimited supercharging under the old rules — will enough people be motivated to buy from other sellers that it will make a difference to Tesla?

If Tesla decides to walk back this change, I hope they re-enable FUSC for people who would have gotten it otherwise.

laker8la | August 19, 2019

Hey seachange, I just bought a blue 2015 Tesla Model S P85D for around the same price with 33k miles. The dealership that I bought it at assured me that it had free supercharging. However, when I go to supercharge, the charging screen shows a price for the "current session" that slowly rises the longer I supercharge. The Tesla has not been transferred to my name yet, so I am not sure if that means that someone else is being charged for it until it gets transferred to my name, or if it's free and it's getting charged to nobody.

rxlawdude | August 19, 2019

Has anyone done a Carfax or title history on any of the non-CPO, pre Jan '17 MSs that were privately purchased AND FUSC was removed?

I wonder if Tesla took those in trade (meaning they owned them) and then auctioned them for whatever reason. Just a thought.

nukequazar | August 20, 2019

@laker8la, whoever has a credit card in the account for that car is getting charged.

Symco4 | August 28, 2019

I have a 2015 85D. Under manage account it used to say free unlimited supercharging transfers with car. Now it just says free unlimited supercharging. I think Tesla has removed the transfer feature.

EVRider | August 28, 2019

@Symco4: I wouldn’t jump to that conclusion. Tesla recently redesigned the Model S vehicle page in My Tesla to match the Model 3 design, and the new design doesn’t show as much detail (and had incorrect data in some cases). I don’t think Tesla can remove a feature while you still own the car.

rxlawdude | August 28, 2019

@EV, he's talking about when it's sold.

EVRider | August 29, 2019

I know, but I consider transferable FUSC to be a feature associated with Symco4’s car, and I don’t think Tesla can remove that. That would reduce the value of the car if Symco4 wanted to sell it privately.

Pungoteague_Dave | August 30, 2019

It remains transferable. Even new deliveries now have a form of Supercharging that is transferable for the life of the car. I have this is writing on my new X. This cannot be removed from the car unless Teslas takes title first, and then resells it with new terms.

alexbrans | September 3, 2019

I purchased from a third party dealer in July MS 2013 P85 and in their account it said free supercharging for life will transfer. However, when it came into my account it has not transferred and I am getting billed (pay per use) supercharging on my account. I contacted referralprogram@tesla almost 4 weeks ago but have not heard a reply. I am hoping it will get resolved and I will get the free super charging as that was a big incentive for me to purchase the vehicle. Has anyone else had the same issue and have it get resolved? Also, any idea what the average response time from referralprogram@ tesla is?

johncrab | September 3, 2019

With Tesla playing fast and loose with written contractual obligations (until lawsuits catch up), you must assume that NO car has transferable supercharging. Cars sold with it have been stripped of it when sold by third parties and we can assume person-to-person sales will be next. They have already removed this from cars traded back to the company. I expect before too long that they will try to erase this clause from our web accounts, claim it was never there and cut us off.

Huachipato | September 3, 2019

Purchased my '15 P85D on 7/11 through 3rd party. Policy change on 7/23. Finally had the car added to my account on 7/25 with only 400KW credit. I brought the issue up with Tesla and they said any wholesaled car can have FUSC removed (essentially the dealer I got it from bought it from auction). I fought back a little but figured it might not be worth the fight. Haven't even been to a Supercharger yet....

Now with the website redesign I just see that it says pay as I go - I don't even see if I have a 400KW credit anymore.

rxlawdude | September 3, 2019

" I brought the issue up with Tesla and they said any wholesaled car can have FUSC removed (essentially the dealer I got it from bought it from auction)."

Unless Tesla took that car in trade in and then turfed it to auction (such that they had title), Tesla's on very shaky ground with respect to FUSC "for the life of the vehicle" used in sales to original owners.

Huachipato | September 3, 2019

The kicker of it all is that I bought the car before the policy changed. But was added to my account 2 days after the new policy went into effect. The last email from Tesla made it sound like it didn't have to pass through them at all to have FUSC removed - it just had to be wholesale (gone through auction).

The response exactly was:
After it being escalated many time the end result is since it was sold initially to a wholesaler it loses the free supercharging for life and is no longer present for you when you purchased it. At this point you would get the 400KWh stipend each year on the birthrate of the vehicle as reflected on your account.

Taiyyib | September 11, 2019

@Huachipato I too was under the impression about my model X with transferred free supercharging but when the vehicle was only account. It showed 400 kW/h annual vehicle birthday credit. And now with the new website redesign, those 400 kW/h credits are gone too. Vehicle build date is 06/17. What/Who did you reach out to get this resolved. Thanks

rxlawdude | September 11, 2019

"After it being escalated many time the end result is since it was sold initially to a wholesaler it loses the free supercharging."

Still not dispositive until we know whether the vehicle was a trade-in to Tesla, who then sold to a wholesaler.

I'm of the learned opinion that if the vehicle was titled to Tesla, that removing features opens Tesla up to liability. And bad (very bad) press.

rxlawdude | September 11, 2019

Let me try that last paragraph again:
I'm of the learned opinion that if the vehicle was NEVER titled to Tesla, that removing features from what was listed on the original Monroney sticker opens Tesla up to liability.

sorka95032 | September 19, 2019

My 2015 P85D's Monroney sticker just says "Supercharging INCLUDED". Says nothing about free. My owners page recently changed from saying "You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner."

to:

"Free Unlimited Supercharging".

The part about it being transferable is now gone. I've asked Tesla TWICE what is going on and have never received a response.

I'm the original owner. I paid cash. It is not a lease. It has never been titled in anyone else's name.

cslaurie | September 27, 2019

This is the reply from Tesla when I complained about pay for use. If they don't sell it you don't get it...

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Tesla Referral Program. I apologize for any inconvenience this delayed response has caused. Looking at your account, I see your vehicle is configured for Pay Per Use Supercharging. This appears to be correct as I see this vehicle possessed Free Unlimited Supercharging for the duration of current ownership prior to when ownership came to you. In other words, the Free Unlimited Supercharging was not set to remain in place through a change in ownership. I do apologize for this confusion.

The good news is you can still acquire free Supercharger miles by referring others interested in purchasing a Tesla vehicle. Your referral link is accessible in the Loot Box of your Tesla App and in the "Home" section of your Tesla Account. Let us know if you have any further questions or if there’s anything else we can assist you with. Thank you for helping to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Warm regards,
Catherine A. | Tesla Referral Program Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
ReferralProgram@tesla.com
Visit our Website for more Referral Reward Program Information!

p.c.mcavoy | September 27, 2019

@cslaurie -

You've posted the exact same item on two different posts, but in neither case do you provide any details about what year vehicle this is. If it was a 2017 after about April, then what they have told you is perfectly correct and as expected. If it older vehicle, 2016 or prior, then again would depend on whether it had been resold recently through Tesla or you bought it direct from the prior owner. Either way, impossible to tell if there is anything out of line with the response from Tesla or exactly what others would have expected.