Forums

Tesla just lowered Supercharging Fees across the board below market prices in most markets! Amazing. At home, .42 cents per kWh

Tesla just lowered Supercharging Fees across the board below market prices in most markets! Amazing. At home, .42 cents per kWh

Ok, I rarely pay $0.42 to charge at peak rates at home, as I prefer to charge at night where the rates are much lower. Still the Supercharger costs are considerably lower than daytime rates here (Northern California) when most people use Superchargers. They are also quite a bit lower than fast charging CHAdeMO or CCS stations. Even better that rates went down 10% or so (after going up early this month).

EVRider | January 23, 2019

Nicely done. :-)

Mike83 | January 23, 2019

Adding a PowerWall might also help. Charge during daylight and used electrons during the nightly expensive hours.
Having Solar in our homes has been a great investment. Never know how high kWh will rise.

DTsea | January 24, 2019

Thats nice.

Here in WA there is no time of use. It averages $.853/kWh so $.31/kWh is more fhan triple the cost of residential power.

This is why the rates should vary by state.

DTsea | January 24, 2019

Sorry $.0853....

DTsea | January 24, 2019

Sorry $.0853....

Darthamerica | January 24, 2019

Has anyone seen any data on what percentage of SCs are solar powered vs grid?

SO | January 24, 2019

@Darth - probably minuscule at this time.

SO | January 24, 2019

Not a supercharger location with solar but still kinda cool.

https://electrek.co/2019/01/24/tesla-model-s-police-patrol-vehicle-fremont/

SCCRENDO | January 24, 2019

Darth. Supercharging was never free. It was built inot the price of the 85S and cost $2k with the 60S

No it was not free Darth. It was a $2000 down payment. Why do you keep making stuff up??

SO | January 24, 2019

I guess if it was free, people who wanted their 5k back from the PM3 refund could have kept the “free” supercharging.

NKYTA | January 24, 2019

Darth you are wrong.

SO | January 24, 2019

So Darth, please answer the questions:

1. Why did people in the past have to pay 2k extra for it?

2. Why did people who got the 5k refund for their MP3, lose the “free” supercharging?

SO | January 24, 2019

3. If you go to a restaurant and they say “free dessert with a meal”, is it actually free?

RedShift | January 24, 2019

You are arguing with a crazy person, SO.

SO | January 24, 2019

He does quite the “perspective”.

@Darth - it’s called averages. If Tesla thought the average person would use 100 gigawatts, they would have increased the 2k fee yeas ago (or raise the price of the cars). Or most likely never offered it in the first place.

Do you ever buy a big gulp with free refills? Do you think the price would be higher if most people would get 50 refills?

jimglas | January 24, 2019

Darh: My "free unlimited supercharging" cost me $5k. Explain hw that is "free"

By now all should no that logical discussion is not possible with Darth. He believes EVs are dirtier than ICE vehicles. He also claims that humans are not causing climate change and even if it did there is nothing you can do about it. I think he doesn’t believe in evolution. We have not yet heard whether he thinks the earth is flat

Know not no

SO | January 24, 2019

Space is fake.

NKYTA | January 24, 2019

Forum folks, ignore DarthAmerica.

Darth, you either are the Russian troll on these forums, or you are just a complete idiot.

We are tired of your FUD.

$2k for lifetime Suoercharging was baked into my purchase of Model S VIN 18xx in Dec 2012.

You lie.

There were zero SCs when I reserved, and 5 or so when I took delivery. I was expressly told about the additional $2k at purchase time.

Go back to your echo chamber with someone who thinks he understands weather, but has no clue about climate.

Again the 85s has the $2k price for supercharging built in, the 60s paid $2k if they wanted it and the 40s were not allowed to have it. When people started abusing it by local charging he moved from prepay to pay as you go. There were transitions on the way. The $2k lifetime cost worked well when they were used for long distance travel. But this will not cover the costs if a high proportion of owners use it for all their charging needs. But it was never free. It’s like HMO medicine. You prepay for all your care vs fee for service where you pay as you go. HMO medicine doesn’t work if everyone uses the services.

SO | January 25, 2019

@Darth - “Now stop arguing for the sake of it.”

Can you follow your own advice?

Silver2K | January 25, 2019

Supercharging was never free, it's baked into the Model S price as SCC and others have mentioned.

Silver2K | January 25, 2019

NKYTA | January 24, 2019
Forum folks, ignore DarthAmerica.
Darth, you either are the Russian troll on these forums, or you are just a complete idiot.
----------------------------------------

I thought it was my job to be the asshole and call people idiots!

You're allowed this mistake just once, NKYTA.

RedShift | January 25, 2019

@silver, NYKTA, others :

Just flag the POS.

He claimed he is an owner and has been on the forums since 2012. Yet no one saw him until a few months back, and he doesn’t seem to know anyone.

He doesn’t seem to know fundamental things like how much Tesla charged for supercharging ability.

My guess is he has either acquired a used Tesla, or gotten soneone’s Tesla handed to him.

He is such a nincompoop, no wonder he is a Trump fan!

SO | January 25, 2019

SO | January 25, 2019
@Darth - “Now stop arguing for the sake of it.”

“Can you follow your own advice?“

And that would be a no.

jimglas | January 25, 2019

flagged

SCCRENDO | January 25, 2019

Russian Troll flagged again. He is just making noise. He keeps repeating the same incorrect opinion despite everyone disagreeing. But I guess he knows more than 97 % of climate change scientists as well.

SO | January 25, 2019

@Darthamerica - You say “free for many people for years”. Do those people include or exclude the following?:

1. Those who paid 2k extra to get it with the Model s.

2. Those who paid 5k (by not getting a refund) in order to keep the supercharging for their M3.

@SO. Good luck being logical

@darth

I thought you were going to ignore me. I’m touched!

How come you don’t know anyone here and no one seems to know you, my ‘long time forum member’?

That is a fascinating question, no???

Point 1 and 2. It was built into the price of all cars except the early 60s and 40s. They took it out of the price when they charged for pay per use. You are trying to be semantic. But all Teslas pay for supercharging whether prepaid or pay per use.

@sccrendo

Common sense. The enemy of Darth!

SO | January 25, 2019

So to sum up your post:

1. Exclude.

2. You say include. I’m sure those who paid the 5k to keep free supercharging would disagree. The end customer had to make a choice. Tesla didn’t eat the cost on less margin here. The rest of your statement is irrelevant.

I purchased a 2017 S90D that includes “free” supercharging for the life of the car. Had I waited a few weeks, I could have purchased a 100D for the same price but only have “free” supercharging while I own the car. I had to make a choice. I could have canceled and reordered. Based on my supercharger usage so far, I would have been better off going with the 100D. Tesla made more on my deal.

So based on your purchases, are you saying that if Tesla would have offered the same car but one with and one without “free” supercharging for life, they would have been the same price?

You ‘proved’ it. When???

Sorry dude but I must’ve forgotten the moment when everyone on this forum said ‘we’re sorry Darth, but you are right and we are all wrong!’

Please refresh.

Also, you got me good there dude. I said I’d ignore you and I didn’t. We are equal now. :-)

SO | January 25, 2019

In regards to the Model S vs Hummer debate, there is some major fine print with Darth in order for him to get the numbers to work. The thread is super long but I had to whittle down what the conditions were for his scenario.

1. The Hummer dies after 250k miles.

2. The Model S will go a million.

3. The Model S is used as a taxi service.

And probably some more caveats that escapes me. So technically Darth is correct. But in such a way that in actual practice, would likely not happen. If a person only purchased a MS for their own use or only hummers for their own use, the MS owner does come out ahead.

You have to qualify everything with Darth.

And BTW, Darth is able to post on private threads. So he is/was an owner.

Darth - I don’t know what you do for a living but you should be a lawyer, contract writer or professional loophole consultant (made that up). I mean this as a compliment. That takes a “special” way of looking at things.

Good he be a Trump lawyer. He is as confused as Guilliani

jimglas | January 25, 2019

Maybe he could design food additives

@SO

I don’t think he is even correct technically.

A person whose POS hummer dies at 250K will seek to replace it with another POS hummer. And another. And another. Not only are emissions much more, they also accrue the additional CO2 burden 3 more times due to manufacturing.

SO | January 25, 2019

@Darth - you’re welcome.

The supercharging during that time was handled poorly by Tesla and Elon. It kept jumping around.

But it landed on for a 90D could have supercharging for the life of the car no matter who owned it. The 100D could have it only while the current owner owned the car. Once sold to someone else, the next buyer lost that service. So in essence, the resale value is less and therefore so is the initial worth of the car to the first owner.

He will make a great Giuliani. Darth, do you know the special video where Giuliani dressed up as a woman and has Trump pawing him everywhere?

You too could be that Giuliani.

SO | January 25, 2019

@RedShift | January 25, 2019
@SO

I don’t think he is even correct technically.

A person whose POS hummer dies at 250K will seek to replace it with another POS hummer. And another. And another. Not only are emissions much more, they also accrue the additional CO2 burden 3 more times due to manufacturing.

Actually Darth is correct with the point he was contending.

The first MS will cause more pollution than the first hummer. Never mind what the person will do after the point of the first hummer failure.

If the argument was: “who puts out more pollution in their lifetime with their own personal usage? One who buys only hummers or one who buys only MS’s?”

Then you would be correct. He argues on a technicality. He’s right for the point he’s arguing. Just kinda sneaky. ;) I used to get frustrated by him but once you find his angle, it’s actually kinda fun discussing with him.

Just remember, when getting frustrated, goos fraba. :-)

SO | January 25, 2019

“He will make a great Giuliani. “

Giuliani is just plain nuts. With Darth, there actually is a “method”.

SO | January 25, 2019

It would be good for Trump to have someone like Darth on his team though.

Darth could argue a point that on the face sounds false, but is true. It takes people some effort to drill down to the crux of the matter and he could be proven right. Albeit what actually matters is open to interpretation.

@SO. I don't follow your logic either. It would be comparing apples to oranges anyway but what are you assuming as the difference or similarity in CO2 production and pollution between a personally owned Hummer for 250,000 miles vs a commercial Tesla for 1 million miles.

@SO

I’m not frustrated at all.

Tesla-David | January 25, 2019

$2k baked into price of my 2012 MS85 and my 2015 MS85D. We helped build the SC infrastructure at the front end of the SC Grid buildout. It was clearly understood by early adopters that that was the case. Idiots arguing otherwise are trolls and should be flagged.

SO | January 25, 2019

@SCCRENDO - it is apples to oranges. Totally agree with you.

The argument was: “A Model S produces more pollution than a Hummer.”

It’s the “LIFE” of ONE hummer vs the “LIFE” of ONE MS.

In the real world, this kind of comparison has little utility. But that’s not Darth’s point.

SO | January 25, 2019

@SO

“I’m not frustrated at all.“

Fantastic!

Pages