Forums

Optionally leave WiFI on when driving

Optionally leave WiFI on when driving

All,

I notice that in a Model S the Wifi is turned off (or at least, disconnected) when the car is in Drive.

Why is this?

Some have mentioned that this could be because the car is assumed to be (about to) be moving and assumed that the WiFi is a static location.

This assumes all sorts of things about how the WiFi network is provided (all sorts of details the car cannot know). The assumptions made are also quickly going "out of date" in terms of how TCP is provided. The growing number of mobile HotSpot options for WiFi being just one such change.

Also: this assumption means that I cannot use features of the car if the Tesla-provided (via 3rd party) networking goes down (as it did in the UK very recently).

For me personally: I get way better data networking on my hostpot for the areas in which my car is most of the time then the lcoal GSM on the car does.

Also: if/when the hardware in the car for GSM fails or needs to be replaced ***or becomes obsolete*** will I be required to replace/upgrade the hardware in my car in order to return it to proper function (eg: mapping, some security features, GSM-based suspension settings and much more).

Could we have an option to just leave the WiFI *on* when driving?

tjfrewin | February 6, 2019

Car OS 2018.50.6 - but true for most current FW.

jordanrichard | February 6, 2019

Ok, perhaps this is just a UK thing, but here in the states, my Wi-Fi stays on until the signal is lost. I am thinking specifically when I leave my house. Once I get to a certain point, the Wi-Fi drops and 3G (2014 S85) kicks in.

EVRider | February 6, 2019

@jordanrichard: That might be because you have an older car. My previous 2016 S85 and our newer cars disconnect from WiFi as soon as you shift out of park. I agree with the OP that it would be useful to keep WiFi on to use with a mobile hotspot.

tjfrewin | February 6, 2019

It is a Sept 2018 (UK, RHD) car. So not a hardware "age" thing in a vehicle only slightly more than 1 year old.

stevenmaifert | February 6, 2019

@EVRider - Can you turn the WiFi back on manually in case you want to use your phone's cell connection as a hot spot instead of Tesla's data connection?

EVRider | February 6, 2019

@stevenmaifert: Only if the car is in park. As soon as I shift into gear, even at home, it switches to LTE and touching the LTE icon doesn't do anything so I can't select a WiFi network. I tried this in my garage just now. So, no hotspots while you're moving.

@tjfrewin: Regarding the age of the car, I was suggesting that Tesla might have made hardware changes that prevent WiFi from working when the car is in gear; I know that jordanrichard has a pre-AP1 car. He's also running the same firmware we are (more or less), so I assume it's not a software change.

jerrykham | February 6, 2019

Agreed; I can sit in the garage and it is on Wi-Fi. I shift into reverse it immediately drops it and hunts for LTE. It may or may not find it as I am on the fringe of ATT coverage. I back out of the garage and put it in park and it connects back up to Wi-Fi.

DanFoster1 | February 6, 2019

Yeah I found this out the hard way when the 3G signal on which my 2015 85D relies for mapping went dead for a day. My phone still had LTE signal so I enabled my phone as a hotspot. Took me a while to realize what was happening. I support an option to allow WiFi while driving for this specific reason, and the reasons mentioned by others.

DanFoster1 | February 6, 2019

Yeah I found this out the hard way when the 3G signal on which my 2015 85D relies for mapping went dead for a day. My phone still had LTE signal so I enabled my phone as a hotspot. Took me a while to realize what was happening. I support an option to allow WiFi while driving for this specific reason, and the reasons mentioned by others.