Forums

6 cents per mile

6 cents per mile

Recently took 2800-mile round trip from St Louis to Atlanta to Jupiter FL (and back). Spent $162 at Superchargers, working out to about 6c/mi. (A little less than gas for my Prius would have run.) I drove conservatively, keeping speed below 75mph, and turned on heater only periodically when interior got chilly. Also used autopilot for long stretches. I stopped to charge at most opportunities, so range anxiety was not an issue. Though fortunately I got back before the Polar Vortex hit the midwest. I would not like to try for long distances in super cold. I wonder how this compares to other trip experiences?

Lonestar10_1999 | February 14, 2019

The M3 would compare more favorably to the Prius if gas prices spiked up.

gballant4570 | February 14, 2019

Charging at home comes in at approx. 2.5 cents per mile, based on my lifetime wh/m avg. and my current electrical rates.

Patrick | February 14, 2019

Very close to our experience so far. Home is 2-3 cents (or free with solar), supercharging is roughly double that, ICE is roughly double that.

beaver | February 14, 2019

$0.035 for my TOU in LA, half that actually personally since I charge at work too.

$0.015 for the win? (Ignoring solar)

rxlawdude | February 14, 2019

I calculate about $.03 per mile with home, super-off-peak SCE rates.

Supercharging looks to be around $.09/mile, indeed precariously close to a Prius per-mile cost with $3/gal gas.

ODWms | February 15, 2019

I’m at about .03 also.

gmr6415 | February 15, 2019

@Patrick, I don't know if you have net-metering or not, but I charge at home with solar too. I don't consider that free because what I'm putting into the car would normally be going back onto the grid, and I would be credited $ for $ to our electric bill. When I'm putting it in the car, I'm not getting the credit for the electricity used to charge the car, so it does cost me the credited kWh that's being consumed by charging the car.

Our rate is just under 0.10 per kWh, so even though I charge with solar I calculate the cost of at-home-charging by using that rate. It's costing me an average of about $25 per month in lost credits to our electric bill. In rounded numbers it comes out to roughly $0.02 per mile.

I guess I could look at that if I didn't have the 10+ kW of PV and a solar water heater that I wouldn't be getting credited at all, so its free to charge the Tesla, but we've had the solar since 2009, and in my opinion I'm losing credited kWh when I charge the car.

billtphotoman | February 15, 2019

We have inexpensive gasoline and inexpensive electricity here (especially from October - May) so my tire replacement costs per mile actually cost most than my "fuel" costs when I charge at home. If I do a road trip that requires Super Charging a Prius (or even an Accord Hybrid) would be cheaper per mile. But, I didn't buy my model 3 to have money and it would still be less to run per mile (fuel, tires and maintenance) than a BMW 3 series. But, I don't think anything beats a Prius in TCO for a car one needs to take road trips in. Our Leaf which cost us <$20K net, is fueled off cheap home electricity and has comparably priced tires should be able to beat it for local travel.

finman100 | February 15, 2019

3200 mile round trip from Albany Oregon to Phoenix Arizona. $115 in Supercharger money. about $194 estimated if we would have taken our Plug in Prius.

Trip to AZ was I-5 to I-40. Trip back home was meandering thru Utah's most awesome parks. I can highly recommend this type of trip to ALL Teslas. What an extraordinary place in the world. and sans gasoline!

Two "charge-ups" were destination chargers at hotels so they were "free" (came with the room fee). And two days of meager charging at my brother's 120 volt garage outlet. wow that is slow!

Anyway, it is completely awesome to road trip in the Model 3. Now i know what all the Tesla owners were raving about. it's what other EVs NEED to become.

kevin_rf | February 15, 2019

Here is the question, not all driving in all modes costs the same (aside from factoring depreciation), if for the bulk of you driving you are charging at home with much lower rates, it's a bit unfair to say that supercharger costs are highway robbery.

So say you are spending 10 cents kwh on your TOU meaning 2.5 cents to 3.3 per mile driven (maybe higher with performance owners, then you also have to factor in the extra rubber loss on the tires) then have to take a trip once in a while that requires you to spend 5, 6, maybe 7 cents a miles. Is the Prius still winning while gas prices are low? No. This is not the complete story.

Personally, I'm still upset that President Dwight D. Eisenhower never delivered all that free electricity they promised under the Atoms for Peace program back in the 50's. Electricity so cheap, you would no longer need a meter. I've been robbed, I tell you!

Now get off my lawn!

don.lind | February 15, 2019

My calculations for my Prius are about 6 cents per mile for gas. And for my Model 3, when I charge at home, it's about 2 cents per mile for electricity. And yeah, superchargers are about 3x as expensive as charging at home. So supercharging costs is roughly on par with gas costs for a Prius. But other than a road trip, I always charge at home, so it's way cheaper.

Similar to @finman100, we took a 1,000 mile road trip a couple of weeks ago in the Model 3 (Down the Oregon coast). I had to use one supercharger (Oceanside, OR) for $11.00. And, because it was my first time using superchargers, a few days later, I choose to supercharge at Bandon, OR for another $11.00. I had range to get to the hotel that evening, but I got a cup of coffee and spent 15 minutes supercharging that I didn't actually need... Otherwise all charging was "free" at hotel destination chargers. So that's about 2.2 cents per mile cost.

And yes, southern Utah has amazing and beautiful national parks. Did them in my Prius quite a few times, will do it in the Model 3 soon.

I consider my normal Model 3 cost to be 2 cents per mile for electricity because of home charging. And for a long road trip, I need to pay the "penalty" for the convenience of using a supercharger. Not burning gas... still a reasonable price.

hokiegir1 | February 15, 2019

From the end of April when we got the car to Dec 31, we drove 19,682 miles and charged primarily at home with some superchargers, a few free L2 places (both public and with family -- not really "free" but they didn't charge me to plug in). With the difference in our year-over year electric bills and the costs for superchargers, we spent a total of $315.44 for a per mile cost of $0.016/mile.

jimglas | February 15, 2019

Well done hokiegir1!

hokiegir1 | February 15, 2019

@Jimglas - thanks! Helps that GA's TOU rate is very cheap (1.5 cents/kwh before taxes/fees/ect). I just looked at my January data and we supercharged once for $6.27 -- and our electric bill went *down* over 2018's January bill by $6.25 -- so any mileage in January was free. LOL!

Jaganjai | February 15, 2019

CO's TOU rate is 0.067/kwh.

75kwh * 0.067 = $5 to fully charge from 0-100%
1 full charge = 265 miles (factoring in 15% phantom drain on avg during whole year)

$5/265 miles = 1.9 cents/mile

billtphotoman | February 16, 2019

@hokiegir1 - it looks like you are also in the "tires cost more per mile than energy" club. Assuming the tires last 40,000 miles (probably very optimistic in the south) and cost $1,200 to replace (with installation and tax) they run $0.03 per mile.

hokiegir1 | February 16, 2019

@billphotoman - Funny (not haha...) story there. Our car was hit when it was in for it's 3rd rotation at about 19,500 miles. For Goodwill, Tesla replaced the tires as part of the repairs, which they showed us were at the wear-bar already. So, while we theoretically would have needed to buy them, they didn't cost us anything to replace this time around.

ODWms | February 16, 2019

Yeah, these tires are expensive. I paid less than $500 for a set of tires on the Volvo recently. But all in all, I'll take it. One of the trade offs for having such a fun, awesome car, that I'll gladly pay.

rob.kibler | February 16, 2019

My average cost for gas over 100,000 miles on the Prius was 4.6 cents/mile.

My average cost for electricity for the Model 3 over 10,000 miles is 4.3 cents/mile (in Maryland). 25 percent of the electricity cost was for superchargers.

Not much difference, right? But I drove the Prius like a grandmother in order to get 60 miles/gallon average fuel economy. And I drive the Model 3 like a teenager to get a big smile every time I’m behind the wheel.