Forums

Replacing Model X90D

Replacing Model X90D

I purchased a MX90D in September of 2017. Other than the shudder problem, which isn't bad, I have zero complaints about the car. My one "if I had it to do over again" wish is that I had gone ahead and bought the 100D. With the recent price reductions, I'm considering replacing it with a new 100D version soon. The price drop helps, btw.

Questions:
1. What do you guys think the likelihood of a refresh for the MX will come later this year? I don't put much stock in the denials from Tesla because no car manufacturer will admit that a better version is in the offing several months hence because it destroys near term sales. What do you guys think?
2. If you had it to do over again, would you still buy a MX? I can't think of another car that meets my needs as much as this one has. Feel the same way?
3. If I do take the plunge, I'm considering upgrading from the 5 seat configuration of my current MX to the 7 seat version. Any pros and cons there? Do you give up storage space? What I envision doing is taking 6 people to football games meaning packing all the tailgating gear that is mandatory for these type of outings. If you have all 3 rows of seats in use that obviously cuts down on the storage available. For those of you who have the 7 seater, do you find you can still pack 6 folding chairs, a cooler, and food in yours?

Thanks for you thoughts in advance.

Vawlkus | February 25, 2019

1) unlikely. Maybe in a year or three, but right now there are more important things to do.

2) hell yes I would get my X. The only difference is I woulda got the P100D instead of just the 100D.

3) I got nothing for this one.

nipper2 | February 25, 2019

I plan on getting an X I already own a S90D and plan on keeping it that offered me $48,000 for it I love my S and will add the X 100D early spring

Passion2Fly | February 25, 2019

1- Tesla needs to get the $35k M3 into production ASAP. It’s very unlikely that money will be spent on refreshing the MX given the relatively small number of cars being sold. Not anytime soon...
2- Absolutely. The MX is an excellent family car. There are no other 7-seats electric SUV out there. The MX is also an excellent winter car. Much better insulation and the battery heater is a much in cold climates. The M3 wasn’t properly designed with winter in mind...
3- I have the 7 seats configuration and, yes, there is still plenty of space with 7 people inside.

brandon | February 25, 2019

I would not buy it again. It depends on how far you need to drive but definitely do not get the bigger wheels. Tesla, if they survive, will be amazing in a few years but right now the cars are not ready nor are the charging stations imo.

jimglas | February 25, 2019

nonsense FUD

tomthalody | February 25, 2019

I would not buy another MX again or recommend anyone to buy any Tesla. First, let Tesla be truthful about its drive range. Its only good to drive around in your neighborhood

dmm1240 | February 25, 2019

Tom,

I was asking for honest opinions. What you posted is pure BS. I own one and know better and so do you. Take mine on long trips all the time and the 100D is rated @ 38 miles higher range than the 90D.

jimglas | February 25, 2019

Tom is a FUD troll

epikula | February 26, 2019

As for will or won't Tesla refresh - I think they will do something later this year. Have nothing to go on other than feels about time for a refresh.

As for doing a Model X purchase again, just bought a CPO about two weeks ago and have no regrets.

As for options or seating config. We originally were looking or thinking more is better right? After researching and past experience with other vehicles we decided we wanted the six seater, and found one. In our experience with two kids we never squeezed three people in a single row in any vehicle. Second, with the space in between the the 2nd row buckets adults can sit in the the third row and use that extra space legroom. Also getting in and out of the thid row is a breeze, especially for kids. We have had six people in our two week old model X and the kids just flow in and find a seat. Finally we take trips and as I write this we are in Telluride,Colorado - not having a roof rack option was not good especially when we have four sets of ski's. So having that middle space for our ski bags with skis and poles and still allowing for us to pack four large bags, snow shoes a Yeti Cooler and a couple other bags and things - well this just wouldn't be possible with 7 seater. We won't use the rear hitch ski carrier as I don't care to bombard my skis with road salt and dirt for 500+ miles from Chandler, AZ to Telluride. On a side note I hope the Y doesn't have Falcon Wing doors as that would mean no roof rack option again.

epikula | February 26, 2019

We are also a Model 3 owner since July 3rd and love that vehicle....it caused us to dump our 2015 BMW X3 and replace with the Model X. No regrets, some range anxiety going from Farmington, NM Supercharger to Telluride,CO on this trip just after a major snow storm and temps -10 below zero and elevation gain up to 10,222 feet at lizard head pass and others but made it to Telluride with 33 miles to spare, supercharged to about 226 miles in Farmington, NM(should have let charge all the way). Destination chargers and free charging at Grocery Store in Telluride and Mountain Village Parking Lot(free) once we got here. Eagerly awaiting planned Supercharger here in Telluride for our future trips.

nipper2 | February 27, 2019

@epikula
What X is your CPO and what was the condition I am a little anal about my cars and my S looks brand new it's S90D. I wanted to get an CPO X but am afraid of what the condition might be

@epikula
What X is your CPO and what was the condition I am a little anal about my cars and my S looks brand new it's S90D. I wanted to get an CPO X but am afraid of what the condition might be

@epikula

@epikula

hasazodicu | February 27, 2019

The Survey is an online mode in which the company directly asks some simple questions regarding their experience and the survey gives an opportunity to speak your mind without interruption.

http://mybkexperience.info/
http://mcdvoice.xyz/

Ddowns2050 | February 27, 2019

Don't know about the refresh.

I have the X90D my Dad had the X100D. Now with the battery degrading some there is over a 50 mile difference in range between the two. That is bigger than you think on long trips especially when you factor in faster charging with the 100D. It definitely doesn't taper as fast as the 90. I'm waiting hoping a battery bigger than the 100 comes out in the next year or two. But it is tempting to trade to the 100.

On the seats I like the 6 seat I thought the 7 seat was claustrophobic in the back.

PXChanel | February 27, 2019

I traded in my 2016 MX 90D for 2018 MX 100D and have no regrets, (except it had to be towed to the service center today bc it did not turn on). We needed a longer range for road trips and find the 100D w 20 inch wheels makes a huge difference, the 90D had 22” and it never gave the range on the books, but about 15% less. I recommend getting the smaller wheels. We took advantage of 50% buyback guarantee, federal rebate before the downgrade and free supercharging for life, if you can still get in on any of those incentives and you like the car, go for it. Had 7 seater for both and don’t regret, the new 7 seater is even better bc you have more cargo space since 2nd row now folds down flat. We travel with all kinds of kids’ sports gear, chairs, canopy, cooler, and fit it all with 3rd row down flat. I love Tesla vehicles. The one thing I dislike about Tesla now has nothing to do w the car, but it is the wait for parts and scarcity of service centers, the nearest to me is 3h away. I doubt they’ll put an upgrade to MX anytime soon. They have their hands full w M3 rollout, MY finalizing design, expanding superchargers and SERVICE CENTERS! (I hope Tesla reads this! We need one in FRESNO, PLEASE!). Plus they still haven’t maximized Autopilot 2 capabilities on the current MX. Whatever you decide, enjoy. Good luck.

epikula | February 27, 2019

Nipper2, sorry for the delay. Was on the road in Model X back from Telluride to Chandler, AZ - unpacking etc.,

So here's the story on our Model X90D. I was looking since around November of last year(2018) and almost pulled the trigger on a couple different CPO's, one was a California X with over the 50K miles/lesser warranty but a Signature Model first 500 VIN. The only things that kept me from pulling trigger was a couple service visits with my 3(turned out to be unique software bug and corruption) and the idea of a first 500 VIN and what issues may have been with early VIN(any car company early production worries). I was eyeballing a couple when one Saturday night a bunch of Tesla's tracking via various websites dropped in price by significant prices. I ended up buying mine for $59,900! loaded six seater, premium package, cold weather, premium sound system, etc. I also bought a second one for 54K! I had communicated with sales rep, done all financing, submitted paperwork only to be told there was a mistake and I could buy the car for $18,000 more. Anyway eventually Tesla said they would sell me the car for 59K. Before buying I had analyzed all the photos and the X looked amazing(no wrinkled leather seat corners, no dings, no road rashed wheels - really good. Thing that stood out to me was that the rear emblem and door handles were chromed deleted. I thought someone who does this takes care or is an above average Tesla Owner. When I went to pickup in Vegas a couple weeks ago I was amazed I couldn't see any dings or scratches and thought this thing looks brand new. Turns out the entire vehicle was wrapped in Xpel and also had the 3M ceramic tint on the inside windows and front windshield. Anyway the vehicle is immaculate and I'm anal as well, I go in the garage before bed and wipe any little blemishes I see with some special wax, sealant stuff from Chemical Guys. Anyway my CPO experience has been above my expectations....though I have seen others report different experiences. My takeaway was I got a X that Tesla wanted to sell for closer to 80K for 59K and I lucked out in that it has a 6500-9000 wrap job with window tint to boot - not sure if it was also ceramic coated after XPEL but it looks brand spanking new. Sorry for rambling.

epikula | February 27, 2019

Also of note I'm not a fan of the chrome delete stuff - and since previous owner didnt chrome delete window and mirror trim....I think having the handles chrome deleted is something I'll probably remove. The rear emblem looks good though so will probably keep. Only thing I can complain about is mine charges to around 247 miles vs stated 257 miles - not sure if this will change as I tend to be really good to my batteries(3 & now X). Also not sure if this has changed on newer X's but was surprised how little lighting is in Model X for front. Nothing in floor console or storage under screen etc and have added some LED lighting so I can see what's in those places during late night travels. Vehicle did amazing on round trip to snowy, cold Northern Arizona and then to Telluride. Round trip Wh/mile was 358 or around 251miles per charge 90000/358. Drove mostly above speed limit. 80MPH on Interstate, used cabin heater and even set to high setting a few times to keep feet toasty. Was able to make it from Telluride to Gallup, NM on a single charge with 23+ miles to spare. Charged in Gallup for 20minutes, 20 minutes in Holbrook, AZ and another 15 minute stop at new Supercharger station in Payson, AZ - ended up home with 100miles to spare.

nipper2 | February 28, 2019

@epikula
Thank You for all the information. If I was sure I could find one that I knew was in that kind of condition I would do it in a hart beat. My S is wrapped in xpel and Opticoated as well.. Good Luck with your X. I would love to hear back after you have it for awhile.

Passion2Fly | February 28, 2019

@epikula
I’m sorry but the X90D doesn’t have this kind of real world range, 251 miles. The 90kWh battery has about 81kWh usable (yes, this was a big complaint about the 90kW and the reason why the 100kW is so much better since it has 95 kWh usable!).
Second, the 90kWh battery loses about 4-5% within the first year before it stabilizes to around ~77 kWh available..

So, at 358 wh/m, the best you can hope for is ~215 miles...
The typical range on my P90DL with 22” wheels is about ~180 miles max at 420 wh/m... verified numerous times!

epikula | February 28, 2019

@Passion2Fly

I agree with you on your statement about real world range, the X needs to have 400 miles or more, I'd love to see 450-470 which would likely mean something 150+. Figure if Rivian is going to do 180kWh and Tesla's have so much better aerodynamics and efficiencies that this may not be something out of the realm for future versions. We have been doing well by our Model X 90D for two weeks now and including trip back from Vegas and our trip to and from Telluride, Colorado from Chandler, AZ we have done ok - actually made it back from Telluride to Chandler, AZ in just over 9 hrs. Google maps says or estimates 8hrs ad 24 minutes for trip. I think not bad considering we were traveling with our two kids age 4 & 6 yrs old. We did one unnecessary stop for minutes in Delores, Colorado to get a wireless pair of headphones out of back of car at a gas station. Then about 20 minutes at Gallup Supercharger, 20 minutes at Holbrook Supercharger and and 15 minutes at Payson, AZ supercharger which could of been shorter as we ended back home with around 100 miles left of charging. I think a bigger battery would be super nice in that yes wouldnt be down to last 20-30 miles when approaching Gallup from Telluride. Also would help as that last 10-20% charging is sloooooow. I will note the guided route the Tesla Computer had was interesting in that it wanted us to charge one big time in Holbrook for 60 minutes when instead we just did 20 in Holbrook and barely 15 in Payson is worth mentioning. You are also spot on as our CPO 2016 Model X charges to about 247....yet we still did fine with our trip. My main point was that I like the 6 seater over the 7 seater for it's walkway footspace over the 7 seater.

@Passion2Fly

I agree with you on your statement about real world range, the X needs to have 400 miles or more, I'd love to see 450-470 which would likely mean something 150+. Figure if Rivian is going to do 180kWh and Tesla's have so much better aerodynamics and efficiencies that this may not be something out of the realm for future versions. We have been doing well by our Model X 90D for two weeks now and including trip back from Vegas and our trip to and from Telluride, Colorado from Chandler, AZ we have done ok - actually made it back from Telluride to Chandler, AZ in just over 9 hrs. Google maps says or estimates 8hrs ad 24 minutes for trip. I think not bad considering we were traveling with our two kids age 4 & 6 yrs old. We did one unnecessary stop for minutes in Delores, Colorado to get a wireless pair of headphones out of back of car at a gas station. Then about 20 minutes at Gallup Supercharger, 20 minutes at Holbrook Supercharger and and 15 minutes at Payson, AZ supercharger which could of been shorter as we ended back home with around 100 miles left of charging. I think a bigger battery would be super nice in that yes wouldnt be down to last 20-30 miles when approaching Gallup from Telluride. Also would help as that last 10-20% charging is sloooooow. I will note the guided route the Tesla Computer had was interesting in that it wanted us to charge one big time in Holbrook for 60 minutes when instead we just did 20 in Holbrook and barely 15 in Payson is worth mentioning. You are also spot on as our CPO 2016 Model X charges to about 247....yet we still did fine with our trip. My main point was that I like the 6 seater over the 7 seater for it's walkway footspace over the 7 seater.

As for @tomthalody. Not sure he/she knows what they're talking about. Probably not an owner. Pickup Model 3 July 3rd, July 4th on the road to Sedona and then The North Rim of grand Canyon, up thru Utah over to Zion National Park back around thru Glen Canyon. It's been to Telluride with us and all over the west. Bought a Model X because was so pleased with "The 3". Just got back from trip back to Telluride with the X and will be heading to California and up thru California in a couple weeks. Will be taking the X for a trip up north back up into South Dakota shortly as well as everywhere else. Think must be confusing Tesla for every other car manufactures EV? Every time I see a Bolt or Leaf I say there goes a car that never leaves town! No Charging Network and short range.

We put on 13,000 miles on our 3 in 8 months and will probably drive both 3 and X about 20K miles a year - miles are about split 50/50 between home area and road trips. Sorry for going off topic.

nipper2 | February 28, 2019

@epikula I agree 100% will only buy ev and only Tesla Love my S and that is why I am getting another one

Wishing you the best @nipper2.

Hope your using EV.CPO.com and Teslacpo.io as well as Telsa.com. I like EV.cpo simple feature listing boxes on right hand side of screen. And TeslaCPO.io gives you price history even if removed and relisted.

I saw a pretty good X 90D just now. Six seater and ultra white if that's your thing. Be nice if it dropped a couple more thousand dollars. https://www.tesla.com/used/5YJXCBE25GF006495?share=y&redirect=no

Just re-looked and you said X 100D so oops on my part, but nonetheless if one can find a 90 in excellent condition for around 60 and have it loaded...its pretty nice. Was interesting we just got plates and registration forwarded from Tesla and the List Price on the registration states List Price $114,950.00......paid only $59,900.00 with XPEL and tint.

bob | March 2, 2019

@ dmm1240 I have a 10/17 100D 7 seater.

1) refresh - not for a few more years. I'd agree Tesla does have a credibility problem with respect to transparency but the mission of the company is clear (Transition to a more sustainable future). That mission is totally inconsistent with traditional car manufacturing. Forget about the annual refresh done like fashion design. The MX is not suffering from lack of futuristic design - it still looks, feels and drives like our own personal rocket ship.

2) yes - If they offered an MX without the FWDs for $10k less I'd buy that. But they don't. I feel the FWDs are functional, but a novelty. I'm a designer by profession, and appreciate the solution to the problem (mini van sliding doors are a worse design solution than FWDs are). But I don't have kids getting in and out of the back seat on a daily basis. If I did I might be in love with them.

3) I doubt you'll fit it all. Unless the 6 folding chairs are really efficient in folded space consumption. If some of the seats could fit in the below deck storage area I could see 6 seats and a reasonable sized cooler fitting. If these fit in it might work. Just not sure if these are too long to fit below?

https://www.amazon.com/Kijaro-Portable-Camping-Sports-Chair/dp/B00SV0KLF...

The only storage you are giving up with the 7 vs 5 seater is the below deck bin where the folded back row resides. The 6 seater is a better option for 6 adults. There's more leg room for the adults in the third row as they can stretch their legs between the non-bench middle row. But you give up the flat deck of the 7 seater. Which is an amazing amount of storage.

zilj345 | June 22, 2019

This blog very nice and informative. Thanks for sharing this blog.I am waiting for your next articles.Keep it up quickly.

https://pradhanmantri-yogana.in/

Weston X90D | July 2, 2019

I'd keep the car you got. You already said you liked it. Anyways, here are me reasons:

1. Money you will lose from depreciaton, interest, registration will prob outweigh any savings you get trading to 100D. Buy some more Tesla stock instead?

2. I know you didn't mention it, but really mileage between 100 and 90, although obviously there is, is also negligible in the day-to-day use.

3. I have a 6 seater, so I can't really say about 5 or 7. It does cost way more and btw my kids really want an arm rests, but none of the configs have that. If you really need to carry 6 people with luggage, get a suburban. Why would you want to pack 6 people and their stuff in you 100+K car? I'd rather drive solo then have to squeeze in.

4. There's always something else coming thru. So after a 1 or 2 years, I'm sure Tesla will have changed loads of stuff that can't be upgraded. That's the nature of the beast

5. You will lose your free super charging, unless you buy used.

6. No one else will care if you upgrade. I realize that you are all that matters, but really it's more of a personal choice. If your the type that can't sleep knowing one of your rims is scratched, then maybe that makes sense. Peace of mind is important. Otherwise who cares.

rdfbsmith | July 5, 2019

I would buy another Tesla, Zero issues. Some people want a perfect vehicle That is fiction no such thing.
No vehicle is PERFECT

metourpetubetha... | July 6, 2019

Model 3 RWD SR+ home charging, Toronto Canada
From Oakville, Ontario Canada. Ordered model 3 rwd SR+. Getting installed 14-50 Nema outlet in the garage. My circuit breaker box is in the basement wall that is on the opposite side of the garage. So need to run 6awg copper wire from basement to garage upstairs about 30 ft run. I have two options, either drill out of basement and run the wire from outside the house and then drill back into garage or cut through basement ceiling, drywall and run along joist ( my basement is finished) to reach garage. And it's not just a straight up run, garage is opposite side of the house from circuit breaker. The wire my electrician suggested is almost 1 inch diameter. Appreciate any tips or advise, thank you

Triggerplz | July 6, 2019

Metourpet Spam flagged

jimglas | July 8, 2019

flagged twice

Sandman89 | July 9, 2019

I am thinking about the same but my reason to upgrade is due to now availability of FSD which mine 2016 Autopilot 1 version do not have.Also if I buy again than downsize to 5 seater as my kids are grown up and have their own Tesla.I drove my son's Model 3 and love the feature of FSD on highways and it will be soon coming up for city drive as well.Unfortunately my Model X can not have FSD as it has autopilot 1 version.

dmm1240 | July 9, 2019

Thanks for the responses, guys and gals.

@ Weston

1. I'm not experiencing significant range degradation, get around 225-230 miles when I charge 100% for a trip.
2. As for the seat configuration, packing a lot of people into one car is the point for certain activities. Evidently, you're not a college football fan. Socializing is a major point of the whole thing. Six to eight times a year, we meet up with several other couples to go to games. Tailgating is an elaborate deal in the SEC and it requires a lot of stuff to do it. Parking is also expensive. The lot we use close to the stadium costs $30 per game to park. What's $30? It's $180-$240 more if you take two cars instead of one. For our group, it would be ideal, due to personalities and logistics, if we could take six. The trip to the games is ~2 hours in heavy traffic and there is always heavy traffic when 90,000+ try to cram into a town with an everyday population of 50k. To pull it off, you need 6 chairs to sit out in, a couple of coolers filled with drinks and food, more food, chairs to sit in, tables to put out the feast, room for raincoats, umbrellas, binoculars, hats, all that stuff. I can make it there and back on one charge in the 90D, and there is supercharger station in the town we travel to if it becomes necessary. So, I have to weigh comfort with the six seat configuration against the flexibility of the 7 seat configuration to be able to cram more gear into the car.

As for range, another trip we make often is a tweener for the 90D. It's just far enough that we have to stop at superchargers three times on the trip. One supercharger is poorly located in a rough part of Macon Georgia. Then you have a 325 mile stretch to reach destination. The second stop is 10 miles out of the way back up I-95 @ the Savannah airport. The third is at a welcome center in Kingsland, GA because you want some juice to run around on in Fernandino Beach when you arrive. Tesla plans to add a new supercharger 2/3 of the way between Macon and Savannah which would help greatly, but it will be right at the comfortable range limit for the 90D. If I had the 325 mile rated range of the Raven it would cut three stops down to two. A 390 mile range 100D, as rumored would cut it down to 1 stop. I would love to cut out two stops.

The second trip we take all the time to visit family is 242 miles door to door, just past the real range of the 90D, that means a stop to recharge. The relatives we visit have a 220v outlet in their garage they installed just to accommodate me. So, the Raven fits the bill here, a new longer range version would be even better.

On top of that, when I purchased the 90D full autonomous driving was out there in the future somewhere so I bought enhanced autopilot for $5,000. My 90D came with the 2.5 motherboard, but I don't get full advantage of even that because I don't have full autopilot. Now that true FSD driving is in sight, I have an issue because Tesla wants $6,000 to upgrade. That would come to $11,000 for a feature others are paying $6,000 for in a new one. Plus, and while this is a "nice but not necessary" addition, Tesla is throwing in free Ludicrous mode if you trade in your X to them instead of selling elsewhere.

Another consideration is getting rid of the shudder problem. It's not bad on mine but it's there. From talking with my service center guys, they're waiting for a permanent fix but it's starting to be waiting for Godot. I'm pretty sure having the new suspension would put that issue in the rearview mirror.

So, I'm weighing all this against the value lost to get it. Just wanted to get others' opinions on the 6-7 seat configurations and so forth as I try to determine what to do.

Oh, and Musk said yesterday no major "refresh" is not in the cards. He insists there will be continuous minor improvements. If you're not ready to roll out a major redo until later in a given year, the last thing you want is for word to get out tanking sales in the meantime as everyone waits for the newer thing. In that case, you hedge and fudge until you're ready for the big unveil. Or, Musk could be shooting straight. Who knows?

techspe310 | July 29, 2019

All About of near by location here you can search Popular Restaurant Menu, Popular Brands Near Me, Top Customer Service, Top Brands Near You also you can search all type location
https://location-near-me.info

jamaicaletwin | August 15, 2019

This post gave me good information.
Thanks & Regards,
https://healthandwellnesss.xyz/www-paymydoctor-com-online-payment/

jimglas | August 16, 2019

flagged and flagged

joeytribbiani2018s | September 3, 2019

here you can search Popular Restaurant Menu, Popular Brands Near Me, Top Customer Service, Top Brands Near
https://hotmail.best/

h, and Musk said yesterday no major "refresh" is not in the cards. He insists there will be continuous minor improvements. If you're not ready to roll out a major redo until later in a given year, the last thing you want is for word to get out tanking sales in the meantime as everyone waits for the newer thing. In that case, you hedge and fudge until you're ready for the big unveil. Or, Musk could be shooting straight. https://walmartone.tech/

nts. If you're not ready to roll out a major redo until later in a given year, the last thing you want is for word to get out tanking sal https://survey-feedback.net/

inboxtoiphonex | September 6, 2019

If you're not ready to roll out a major redo until later in a given year, the last thing you want is for word to get out tanking sales in the meantime as everyone waits for the newer thing. In that case, you hedge and fudge until you're ready for the big unveil. Or, Musk could be shooting straight. Who knows https://talktowendysurvey.com/