Forums

Why isn't sentry mode default?

Why isn't sentry mode default?

I found that one must turn sentry mode on every time he/she leaves the vehicle. Would not it be better to have sentry mode as default with the ability to turn it off on the few occasions it is not needed?

jimglas | February 25, 2019

battery drain

JAMESLHARWOOD | February 25, 2019

^^^^^ Agreed, Battery drain.

ILoveMyModel3 | February 25, 2019

^^^^ Agreed, when the car is parked at home in the garage, it's not needed, and this feature cannot be enabled with Dog Mode

jithesh | February 25, 2019

Maybe they can put that feature on app too rather than enabling by default

bradbomb | February 25, 2019

It is on the app, however I think it should be an option to leave enabled. Cars parked in garages can still use Sentry. Not everyone's garage is on their house alarm.

mazers | February 25, 2019

I would not want it on by default. Sitting the garage wasting battery each time someone or some thing walk by the car would certainly drain the battery.

mazers | February 25, 2019

wish I could edit that post.....

gcklo | February 25, 2019

I am ok with default off. When I park at home or in my office, I don't need to have it turned on.

Tuning In | February 25, 2019

Seriously?!?!?!? You need Sentry mode in your own garage? People will break into your car as it sits in your garage instead of your house? If you have those concerns, you're better off putting webcams in the garage and will get better angles. But I'd opt to find a better place to live.

terminator9 | February 25, 2019

Like the recent new feature where using geofencing the side view mirrors fold, I think updates will be released in time where you can setup areas where it should be disabled by default - i.e. home or work and enabled by default other places. Keep providing that feedback to Tesla and they listen to it.

suddled | February 25, 2019

Battery drain and the need for an external formatted drive to be present. I am sure/hope they will add the ability to toggle it on and off via the app!

lunde | February 25, 2019

The latest version of the mobile app, which was released very recently, allows Sentry Mode to be toggled on/off.

mrburke | February 25, 2019

My very rough testing shows that sentry mode adds about 5 miles/24 hours of battery drain.
Your mileage may vary.

Tess is in | February 25, 2019

I turned mine on in my garage last night at 5:00. At 8:00 this morning I had lost 17 miles. I usually lose 1 or 2 miles overnight.

mrburke | February 25, 2019

I assume the power drain is very variable. If there are no "warnings" and the cameras don't start recording and the screen does not turn on, the drain is low. But if someone walks by and the system goes on alert, I would think the power drain go up.

suddled | February 25, 2019

@lunde, Nice I didn't even notice the new toggle for Sentry mode in the app under Controls, thx for the info!

creativeguy | February 25, 2019

I don't mine the manual operation, but I'd love it if enabling Sentry Mode in security settings made a button appear on the screen when I shift to park, kind of like how the Frunk and Trunk buttons appear. That is where I want to decide whether to turn it on or off. It is a pain to find it buried in the menus every time I park. So, master switch in security settings and one time enabling on the main panel when shifted to park.

allenbt | February 25, 2019

5mi. in 24hrs??? That's roughly 1.25 kWh based on my average driving. That's roughly a third of what my whole house is drawing on average per day (electric stove, refrigerator, computers, routers and lights). What is taking so much current?

Resist | February 25, 2019

Not only battery drain but it could also fill your microSD card quickly. And from what I understand those are saved recordings.

dgstan | February 25, 2019

FWIW - I had it on for 4 hours last night and didn't lose a single mile.

hamiltonned | February 26, 2019

@allenbt: In the US, homes use on average around 30kWh per day. How do you manage to be so energy efficient?

ripatriot | February 26, 2019

at best, my house runs at about 0.4 kW per hour when no one is home. that's still 10 kWh per day. no chance he's averaging 4 kWh per day with an electric stove.

terminator9 | February 26, 2019

I imagine it could happen if you have 10 LED lights, stove, heating and hot water runs on gas (or is not needed), you don't watch TV, don't use dishwasher and weather is so good that you don't need a refrigerator.

terminator9 | February 26, 2019

If I didn't have dishwasher, oven, microwave, air conditioning, humidifier, washer, dryer and TV, I bet my electricity bill a month would be less than $15 as all the lights I have are LED. Oh yeah, and changing the lights to LED haven't had a big impact on the bill - what a false hype that was!

Rt002k | February 26, 2019

@terminator - did you go from CFL's?

rxlawdude | February 26, 2019

@terminator, my experience going from incandescent/halogen to LED has been a marked reduction in consumption.

I've always HATED CFLs.

Mike UpNorth | February 26, 2019

If I don't have a USB installed and I enable Sentry Mode from the mobile app...Does anything happen?

TickTock | February 26, 2019

I've been turning on Sentry at work for the past couple of days and have not seen any noticeable change in the loss while parked for the whole day. II was losing ~1.8kWh+/-0.2 before and I am getting the same numbers now with Sentry turned on. I did confirm it was running (handed my phone to a carpooler, walked back, and leaned on the car - got the HAL image on the screen).

derotam | February 26, 2019

@mike, Interesting thought...shouldn't be too hard to test. Turn on Sentry mode and walk up to the car.

@derotam

Assuming the car does whatever it does.... we're 100% sure there's no recording of the cameras without a USB, correct?

CharleyBC | February 26, 2019

Different people and different circumstances mean a single design will never fit all. If they asked me to design the software, I'd have a config setting where the user can choose whether Sentry Mode is on only when requested (like now), always on, always except at home, or prompted upon exit. By the last I mean each time you end driving (putting in Park or opening driver's door) the screen asks "Enable Sentry Mode?"; quicker than poking into the menus and less likely to forget.

CharleyBC | February 26, 2019

@Mike UpNorth: "If I don't have a USB installed and I enable Sentry Mode from the mobile app...Does anything happen?"

I would hope it responds, "Unable to activate. No USB present" or whatever. But I don't have it yet, so I can't test...

So I can confirm it works. I enabled on my phone. Turned off BT, walked up to the car, Sentry mode on the screen. Pushed the car a bit to see if the screen would change or music playing but that didn't happen.

Something of interest though. I read in the notes on the screen - it's says it will record and send the info to Tesla. No mention of needing a USB installed. But you need data sharing active.
Just FYI.

terminator9 | February 27, 2019

We obviously used to have car alarms/sentry mode without recording or screens before Tesla came along so it could still work :)

derotam | February 28, 2019

@Mike, I also have put my car into Sentry mode without a USB drive and the Sentry mode activates...what I forgot to test is what, if anything, happens if I get in the car, put my USB back in and then hit download. I doubt it, but I am wondering if it would push any Sentry video to the USB at that time. I'll have to test it next chance I get if no one else has tried before then.

Mike UpNorth | February 28, 2019

@derotam

Please do!

gmkellogg | February 28, 2019

It's a new feature, from what I've seen most new features require a toggle on.

@Mike, Just did a quick test, it didn't write anything to the USB after getting back in as expected. Would have been funny if it actually had though. Future test will be the same, only I'll set the alarm off. I doubt the outcome will change but who knows.

Shucks. Too bad.....How do you plan on setting off the alarm? I pushed the car a bit. Nothing....I guess I could really put some oomph into it and rock it back and forth.....

If you bank on the window enough it goes off. Yeah I tried to push the car too...doesn't move much, haha. Then I started banging on the window and it went off. After I set it off I am now curious as to what it used to determine that it needed to go off...sound level?

Grr.. bang, not bank

Good question as reading on the forums the rocking shouldn't set it off as there's no like gyro thingy in the car (I'm clearly an engineer scientist).
Must be the noise I guess....But the people reporting the glass broken and no alarm....Maybe noise detection was added with Sentry mode???

VValleyEV | April 16, 2019

Yes it would be nice to have an option to leave it on by default, else I will forget to turn it on each time. Easy to remember to turn it off when in garage. Best would be a list of geo locations to automatically leave it off, start with garage, much same as auto-folding the mirrors.

johnw | April 17, 2019

I can't believe nobody mentioned this already- the 'stats' app can turn it on automatically and disable it for your home (or other) locations. Terrific!

Electric_Sheeple | April 18, 2019

We should be able to select "always on in park" and make exceptions for specific locations (like auto-fold mirrors)

terminator9 | April 18, 2019

Because then people will say "why is sentry mode default?" They had to start somewhere to see how it goes. It will be more user friendly in future releases.

jimglas | April 18, 2019

My sentry uses about 1 Mile of range per hour, thats probably why it is not default on

johnw | April 18, 2019

@Electric_Sheeple. Stats app has this now- but you need to have an apple phone.

juliette | April 18, 2019

I can see why not everyone would want this, but I'd like to have an option for sentry mode to be on by default unless the battery is too low.

XercesBlue | April 28, 2019

I, for one, definitely want a toggle for Always On (geofence addition would be cool too). I have been using Sentry religiously since they rolled it out but I literally forgot to turn it on yesterday and found a 8 inch long scrape on the back right corner of the bumper today. Parts of it are scraped all the way through the paint!
I checked the RecentClips folder, but that only goes back an hour and this must have happened before that.
Also, can we have the rear camera save too? Probably would have caught the offender with the side cameras, but definitely would have got them with the rear.
Just learning about Stats which is great - except I am an Android user so it is useless to me.

Pages