Forums

New Model 3 Owner Who lost thousands in value from this price drop

New Model 3 Owner Who lost thousands in value from this price drop

Is anyone else pissed that picked up their car yesterday, a week ago, a month ago? You can now get the EXACT same car for thousands of dollars cheaper. Usually when a new model comes out its more expensive not cheaper. Are we going to get our money back like the people who paid $5k for for the Performance Plus???

Do right by us Elon!!!! This is terrible to do to new customers.

Reef Club | February 28, 2019

Lost $6,000 on my July 2018 delivered LR RWD Tesla Model 3. I could have gotten white interior for $1,000 if I waited. Ugh

Reflex | February 28, 2019

Just a bit. I took delivery on 1/19/19 -- $4000 cheaper if I had waited 5 weeks. Makes me pretty upset, actually.

jimglas | February 28, 2019

my MX dropped $5k before it was delivered, I didnt get a refund. I got the car I ordered for the price I agreed to pay. Thas how it works

dt22cc | February 28, 2019

You got $7500 tax credit though compared to $3750 now.

Wormtown Kris | February 28, 2019

You should never buy, as there will always be a better price on emerging tech.
I am waiting to buy my first laptop, cell phone, and flat screen TV, because every 4 months the features go up and the price drops.
SMH!

mrpetrov | February 28, 2019

You and me both. For me, it's not so much that the price was reduced - stuff happens. What's more frustrating is that more love was shown to the models either side of the LR AWD (ie the LR RWD and Performance), which could be easily solved by software unlocking a little more power for the LR AWD to bring it to around 3.8s 0-60mph. Then it would sit sensibly between the LR RWD and the Performance given the new relative prices and ranges.

Karynj40 | February 28, 2019

You are 100% MrPetrov. The numbers (acceleration) should be Waaay closer to the Performance then to the RWD long range. The total HP is much closer to the Performance than to the single motor RWD.
I’m sure Tesla is doing that to give Performance buyers “enough bang for the buck” for the price increase.
....hoping Tesla uncorks the power/performance in the regular AWD.

WantMY | February 28, 2019

Your crocodile tears are delicious!

kevin_rf | February 28, 2019

Reminds me of Mathew 20:13

We all knew the process of the Model 3 would drop over time. Look at it this way, what you paid extra is providing extra capital so Tesla can transform the entire auto industry. It's not like he's gonna be it at Burning Man or something.

gballant4570 | February 28, 2019

At last, one thread where all the crybabies can gather and whine. Sweet.

visixero | February 28, 2019

You are an early adopter. Battery tech prices are always going to decrease as production and technology improves. Go check the price of your phone and see how that's holding up.

kevin_rf | February 28, 2019

Fricking auto correct on the phone.

Maybe he should invest in technology to fix auto correct on phones instead of going to Burning Man

gmkellogg | February 28, 2019

Two nearly identical threads with similar names? Either a child or a short.

AWDTesla | February 28, 2019

Yeah, I'm looking at my numbers, and if I waited the 2 months, the performance model would have been what I went with. Not cool.

Lol @ comparing phone to car. Love you fanbois.

elephant in a bottle | February 28, 2019

My 2012 Prius plugin was 36k msrp , now its 27k . Get over it folks.

gballant4570 | February 28, 2019

This troll also posted under a similar but different user name. Now I gotta add one more to the ignore list.....

calvin940 | February 28, 2019

@AWDTesla Do you honestly believe that you (and others like the OP) have a legitimate gripe against Tesla on these price changes? Truly? I mean you have bought things before right?

Traditional car purchasing through dealerships is no different. You can walk in one day and buy the car you want then two months later there are dealer incentives that drop that very same car by 1k, 2k, 3k etc. Do you run around screaming at those companies as well?

I mean seriously. If you are going to gripe about something at least have it be a legitimate gripe. Be honourable.

It is perfectly acceptable to be miffed at having paid more instead of waiting, but it has nothing to do with Tesla. My car is 5 months old now. I could have waited until now and paid less. I actually initially was thinking the model 3 was going to come out 1st quarter of 2019 and was going to tough it out, but when it was available earlier, I chose to get the model I wanted as soon as it was available. I paid more, but I *understand* how things work for everything not just this particular car manufacturer.

SPeditor | February 28, 2019

Wish there was at least a 7 day price match adjustment. I took delivery 5 days ago.

Mike UpNorth | February 28, 2019

I think a 7 day price guarantee is reasonable....but what are you going to say when the price changes on day 8? WHAT! ITS ONLY 1 DAY DIFFERENCE!

You bought knowing there wasn't a price guarantee. So unfortunately you can't complain if it was 1 day.....well you can complain but people are free to flame you also.

anantha.sethuraman | February 28, 2019

The price structure is very unreasonable and affects us very badly and the resale value of the car, people can buy same configuration as mine $6k less today, I bought it less than 2 monhs ago, it hurts a lot as a customer.

calvin940, were not talking about "1k, 2k, 3k, etc"

But nice try.

ben | February 28, 2019

as new M3 owner, it is butt hurt to see my car worth $4000 less in 1 month.

SPeditor | February 28, 2019

I contacted Tesla. The new return policy is 7 days. My pickup this past Saturday had a return policy of 3 days. Today is day 5 for my car. Thus I missed out by 2 days of returning the car to get the new price.

lilbean | February 28, 2019

Isn’t it better to have the more expensive model? Haha!

joe.lynn.atp | February 28, 2019

FFS, How did we get to be a nation of such entitled, whiny victims?

jqplenty | February 28, 2019

I'm quite upset, having taken ownership Feb 5 of a LR AWD, and 3 weeks later the price is $4,000 less. Sure this is tech, but cars are not supposed to have this level of price instability. Residual value is a major consideration when buying a new car.

mrburke | February 28, 2019

Tell your sob story to all the people who lost their homes when the real estate market tanked and their loans were under water and the were unable to refinance. They lost everything

I think they would all agree, you folks really got screwed having cars resale value go down.

Tell your sob story to all the people who lost their homes when the real estate market tanked and their loans were under water and the were unable to refinance. They lost everything

I think they would all agree, you folks really got screwed having cars resale value go down.

lilbean | February 28, 2019

@joe How? Participation trophies.

ben | February 28, 2019

@jqplenty. I got my LR AWD on Feb 5 too. I will wait to my my 2nd Tesla when it go down to $20k.

No one who bought their car in the last 6 months is selling it anytime soon. So these 'I bought my car X days ago and it's worth $X less today' is technically correct but you're not actually selling it, so who cares. It's fake money.

Hal Fisher | February 28, 2019

Look at all the fake people here. there are more fakes than real people on this thread alone! Guess not worth coming back here. Real owners should pick a moderate forum that requires actual ownership!

Bet anything it's
mrburke
Mike UpNorth
joe.lynn.xx
calvin940
elephant in a penis
gmkellog
vixero
kevinrx
wantmy
wormtown
dt22c
jimglas

Good bye Hal. All your insightful wisdom will be gladly missed.

@Hal I hope you are not saying that I am not a real owner. If you read my post carefully, I have no sympathy for the people complaining. I love my awd M3 and I happy with my investment in TSLA stock

@SPeditor

Can't lie - that's bad luck. Sorry.
But you get to enjoy the car every day. Maybe in ~5 years when you sell the car you won't even remember the short end of the stick this week.

ben | February 28, 2019

@mrburke good luck with your Tesla investment. If they drop the price like this, that means they are desperately sell their LR AWD model. Elon already said, not expecting profitable 1st quarter with current market. I am not sure how well they will do in China.

burim.istogu | February 28, 2019

I took delivery of my White Dual Motor Model 3 last week. Now same car is about $4000 cheaper. It does not feel right. Talk about Tesla being different than traditional dealerships, but its actually how I feel right now, the way i felt when I purchased my Prius at a Toyota for nearly $4000 more than a coworker picked up hers (same trim) . I love my car, i just wished they had notified us, hey , next week , you can save $4000 (its a lot of money for some of us)

Bighorn | February 28, 2019

It’s a troll circle jerk.

saikumar.gadde | February 28, 2019

Hi,
I have my model3(mid range RWD) delivery scheduled for Saturday, but my Tesla financing hasn't been completed yet. Is it possible to upgrade to the long range RWD model ? Thanks for your suggestions

@ben - Got my TSLA shortly after I ordered my M3. About $250/share. I am in it for the long term. If it tanks in the short term, I'll buy more.
At $35k for an M3, they don't have a lot of competition, unless of course the striped-down model is a piece of ...
But I find that very unlikely.
I also think that most people will choose the standard range plus over the standard range. that extra $2k gets you a lot more car

burim.istogu | February 28, 2019

saikumar.gadde I wish I was in your position. Cancel and re-order. You must take advantage of the price drop. I wish I could, i took delivery of mine last week (now $4000 cheaper , :( )

ILoveMyModel3 | February 28, 2019

I he dropped the price of all their vehicles and no I'm not pissed. This is standard with home's, car's, electronics and major appliances just a point of life get over it and enjoy the damn car or sale it.

skycondition | February 28, 2019

Took delivery of my vehicle 2 weeks ago and haven't driven it because of the problems that I have a service scheduled for next week. Dam I wish I would have never bought this dam thing.

@sky

If you haven't driven it, or say less than 50 miles, see if Tesla will take it back. I would expect they would.

shawncordell | February 28, 2019

@skycondition Put it up for sale. And get yourself some tissue for those tears.

topher | March 1, 2019

The trick is to drive your car until it completely fails. Then you never have to worry about 'value'. Instead you get a great car, for a long time, and maximum value for your money.

Thank you kindly.

AWDTesla | March 1, 2019

Yeah, all these people who lost over 7k overnight in depreciation are trolls. You guys sure are smart to figure that out.

Fuckin clowns.

Bighorn | March 1, 2019

@shawn
The tissues got used up for “other things.”

spuzzz123 | March 1, 2019

@mrpetrov ..."more love was shown to the models either side of the LR AWD (ie the LR RWD... "

What love was shown to the LR RWD? I could now get an amazing dual motor performance model 3 for about the same price I paid for my RWD in April. I really enjoy it and I don't regret getting it early but I don't know what love you speak of...this is early adopter tax and we helped make this possible...a great EV for the masses.

Pages