Forums

Car dealership lobbies blocking direct sales

Car dealership lobbies blocking direct sales

I just noticed some recent articles on Eletrek. Texas is now trying to block Tesla from servicing vehicles in the state in addition to blocking direct sales. There are apparently 8 states presenting opposition to the direct sales of Tesla's due to their dealer lobbies. Tesla owners and fans need to contact their local government reps.

jordanrichard | March 17, 2019

This is very old news, well the part about the dealers trying to block direct sales. Also Tesla has come up with a way to get around the dealers anyways.

Basically if you live in a state like mine CT, Tesla won’t be technically (legally) be delivering the cars which some states like mine consider part of a sale. Your car will be delivered to the nearest location that Tesla is allowed to sell in. At that point, the car is considered delivered because you will have accepted delivery on paper. Then “on your behalf” will arrange for a third party carrier to delivery your car to your house. The car carrier will be fully insured and responsible for any damages. This way you do not legally take delivery from Tesla. Also this is then considered interstate commerce which the dealers/state can not stop.

El Mirio | March 17, 2019

@Jordan not quiet, this is new legislation which wants Tesla to stop servicing the car in addition to the sales barrier.

jimglas | March 17, 2019

how is it possible to stop service of the cars? Are they willing to prosecute any mechanic that works on a Tesla?
Seems impossible.

Yodrak. | March 17, 2019

"Car dealership lobbies blocking direct sales"

The thread title is misleading. It is old news and does not accurately describe the new situation that the OP raises about Tesla service in Texas.

"Are they willing to prosecute any mechanic that works on a Tesla?"

No, not "any mechanic", Tesla mechanics.

They want to ban TESLA to offer service.

jimglas | March 17, 2019

Tesla could just farm the repairs out to mechanics that have been trained to repair teslas, its not SpaceX science.

TX wants to block any OEM to service vehicles, also OEMs wouldn't be allowed to own a franchises.

https://electrek.co/2019/03/16/tesla-service-ban-texas/

South Carolina already has this, Tesla is only able to service thru Mobile Service, likely with out of state registration based on interstate commerce laws.

carlk | March 17, 2019

What is going to happen to people who own a Tesla? What if someone had an accident becuase he could not get the car serviced by Tesla? A class action lawsuit for $500 billion damage will fix anything they could pass.

@carlk this brain fart likely originates from the dealership association, i.e. Reps. donors. Likely they got spooked with all that "online only" talk and are now throwing anything against the wall to see what sticks.

jpcollins9 | March 17, 2019

Living in Alabama where there is not a Tesla Service Center seemed problematic when I ordered online my first Tesla in Oct. 2014. When it was delivered on a flat bed in April 2015, wondered if I had created a problem for myself since the nearest service center was Atlanta, well over a 100 miles away. Fast forward to the present, I've made one trip to the service center with my 2015 car for a full annual service (well first full 3 year service) but that cost me the price of a 2018 X100D (my wife liked the X better than the S so now we have 2 Teslas-happy wife, happy life!) Other services that have come up have all been handled by the mobile service in my garage. Frankly, I could care less what Texas and other traditional dealer protection states try to do. to me it sounds likes trying to turn back time. As my aging back tells me often, good luck with that!!

DubDub | March 18, 2019

Have already posted this in other threads, but want to get the word out to all. This is 100% false reporting. Senator Kelly Hancock has posted this clarification of the bill. https://senate.texas.gov/members/d09/press/en/p20190318a.pdf
This will NOT affect the ability of any manufacturer to service vehicles it makes.

blue adept | March 18, 2019

Just sue them for conspiracy and racketeering and monopolizing the area/region/state under the RICO Act combined with a request for Injunctive Relief and be done with it already, sheesh!

After you've won Injunctive Relief (should be granted immediately given the documented proof of interference/oppressing), file a complaint with the FTC with the court's findings/ruling attached as both evidence and authority...

Bada-bing, bada-boom! All you bishes are belong to ME! :-)

DubDub | March 18, 2019

@blue
This is all for nothing. Please see my post. Not to mention nothing you have said makes any sense at all. Sorry.

@Dub

It makes sense to Tesla regarding any one, any company, any industry, any state, or even any lobbyist groups thinking of blocking the sales or service or installation of SC's in their states.

The gloves are off and they can see how well they adapt to prison life.

finman100 | March 18, 2019

yeah, sure. my "belt-and-suspenders" sense this reply to be BS. and in Texas, everything is bigger. so, you know...

we (US in general) really have some f#@cked up laws on the books. and then to double down. wow.

DubDub | March 18, 2019

@finman
Well, I’ve posted you a link to the senator’s clarification. Not sure what’s going on with your “belt and suspenders” but looks pretty cut and dry to me. If you don’t believe the hard evidence in front of you, I’m not sure what else would clear it up for you. I can explain it to you, but I can’t undersrand it for you. Have a nice day.

carlk | March 18, 2019

@blue adept Thank you for pointing out the RICO. Upon a little further reading it's pretty clear this law applies to this case perfectly. Best of all is not only federal or state attorney could file criminal lawsuit individuals who are harmed by the "enterprise" could also file civil lawsuits under the law.

rxlawdude | March 18, 2019

I just read the entire bill. What the good (?) Senator states in his letter of clarification does not seem match the plain language, which in my reading in fact precludes Tesla from servicing its vehicles.

RES, are you around? Take a gander at the language and give your interpretation.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86R/billtext/pdf/SB01415I.pdf#navpanes=0

rxlawdude | March 18, 2019

And @Dub, the good (?) Senator could "clarify" the sky is green, but if it's not in the text of his bill, it's not binding law.

Earl and Nagin ... | March 18, 2019

@rxlawdude,
Thanks for the read. Sounds like the old Texas 2-step. Write one thing, then tell the people it says something different. That way, you can collect your graft and still get re-elected.