Forums

"The future seems bright for Audi"

I just don't get how people continue to write such upbeat articles about legacy automakers kicking Tesla's butt sometime in the future with their magical pixie dust cars while there are so many negative articles about Tesla's actual accomplishments.

I know it's territory we've all covered but it's still frustrating to read.

https://jalopnik.com/audi-will-have-a-tesla-model-3-rival-in-2023-report...

Just_Ted | March 26, 2019

I know, right? Its like what they say about fusion, "Its the power source of the FUTURE! ... and always will be..."

Magic 8 Ball | March 26, 2019

It is all awesome. I love the legacy players making this kind of noise about BEV, it validates the whole thing and will motivate people to see what is available now vs a might be.

charles.a.braun | March 26, 2019

Competition is nothing but good for the EV market. I just wish all these "Tesla Killers" would actually come to market.

As long as Tesla does not just sit by "resting on their laurels" they will remain the market leader for a long time to come.

Just don't stop innovating or they will be chewed up and spit out!!!

AWDTesla | March 26, 2019

Audi has the nicest interiors in the world. If their EV looks like that black coupe, sign me up.

RJMIII | March 26, 2019

@AWDTesla - I have always thought Audi's were the most underappreciated luxury cars. It's even ironic that they were the self-driving, electric car brand in iRobot.

However, if 300,000 people reserved one of these tomorrow, it would be a long time before they could come close to delivering them. Tesla (arguably) did this feat and gets little credit.

That's my only point.

dmastro | March 26, 2019

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Submitted by RJMIII on March 26, 2019
I just don't get how people continue to write such upbeat articles about legacy automakers kicking Tesla's butt sometime in the future with their magical pixie dust cars while there are so many negative articles about Tesla's actual accomplishments.

I know it's territory we've all covered but it's still frustrating to read.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see any reference to "Tesla-killer", or kicking Tesla's butt. Just a short article mentioning that Audi is planning to bring several EVs to market with a passing reference to Tesla having competition as other brands roll out their EVs.

I think it's exciting to read that there will be more options and innovation coming to the market.

RJMIII | March 26, 2019

@dmastro - OK, agreed this article didn't use the normal Tesla hyperbole, but it did ignore the l unlikelihood that the car would be delivered in large numbers in any reasonable time frame to make it a Model 3 competitor. Tesla may not be making Model 3's in 2023 (or more likely 2024).

carlk | March 26, 2019

Those auto "jouralists" have to play nice with legacy auto companies. Not only they spend a lot on advertising they also fly auto writers to those unveiling events. You want to be in good term with them so you will be invited for the next event.

Rt002k | March 26, 2019

@RJMIII why wouldn't they be making the Model 3 in 4 years? It's been 7 years and they still make the Model S.

Kary993 | March 26, 2019

There have been some great articles about all of this and all of the big boys are just starting out. VW Group (VW, Audi, and Porsche) are all working together on the same platforms in many cases. The VW head also readily admits that Tesla has a distinct advantage right now, that is Tesla does not have to deal with the ICE legacy. VW group has billions of dollars to spend on cars, they have a manufacturing and supply chain like no other, they have the traditional dealership/service center model. Those are their advantages. VW group are building cars that are cars with some bells and whistles. Tesla is build cars that are not just bells and whistles but far more. But Tesla will have to compete with the monsters that within a few years will produce $20k to $100k EV's. Tesla just needs to decide which market price range they are going to compete in because they cannot compete in all of them like VW group can. The small makers all of the world are insignificant in my mind as they have to overcome what Tesla has overcome and are just too far behind on so many levels......though some of those are starting to partner with other big American companies. It will be very interesting for sure. But for now we get to enjoy what everyone else is talking about doing over the next 2 to 5 years!

carlk | March 26, 2019

No matter which side you're on there is no argument that Tesla is way ahead of the rest in the EV arena. On the other hand sites like Jalopnik have always been tough on Tesla even it has delivered way many cars that are also way better than from everyone else. Just take any article about Tesla from Jalopnik and substitude Tesla with Audi, VW, BMW or Porsche the writer's next year's free European vacation will be gone.

RJMIII | March 26, 2019

@Rt002k - No particular reason other than I think the design/development/deployment cycle will get faster for Tesla as they get more experience. Model 3 is an awesome car but Elon gets restless quickly. I could see Tesla making other more awesome cars in 4-5 years as the technology continues to develop and especially if full FSD becomes a reality in that time frame.

burdogg | March 26, 2019

I just think - good golly - 2023?? really?? That is forever away in terms of how fast things in the electric car world is changing - battery tech and all...

Rt002k | March 26, 2019

I could see them doing a refresh, but to retire a successful model with name recognition/equity would be ill-advised. It would be like BMW suddenly changing the name of the 3-series because they got bored. It's a flagship name that adds value to the brand.

RJMIII | March 26, 2019

@burdogg - Agreed!

@Rt002k - Fair enough, I concede the point.

ADinM3 | March 26, 2019

I still find irony when I read an EV car review and they tout various competitive advantages of one brand over another completely silent on any reference to the Tesla gold standard of most of the features they are discussing.

Kary993 | March 26, 2019

@carlk - "No matter which side you're on there is no argument that Tesla is way ahead of the rest in the EV arena"

What do you mean by this specifically?

andrew.d.curry | March 26, 2019

VAG, BMW, Daimler, etc - all can make great cars and ICE engines at scale (general reliability is a can of worms...), but they can't yet make great batteries at scale. This is the key competitive advantage that Tesla has.

There's been so much fawning over Porsche's all-electric Taycan but it isn't even in production yet. Tesla's basically always fighting an uphill battle in the press.

PhillyGal | March 26, 2019

I had a pretty snippy Audi employee dissuade me about the e-tron at the Philly Auto Show. He basically said "well they're not for everyone" when I inquired about a long distance charging network.

finman100 | March 26, 2019

so, they KNOW about the Supercharger advantage but can't admit it.

These non-tesla EV buyers are in for a world of disappointment when they can't keep up with a Tesla on a road trip. and people will WANT to do everything in their EV that they did in a gas car. like, you know, travel farther than 238 miles.

wow. and the Tesla network gets faster and more locations. just wow.

Chevy is finding out they can build the car but too few will buy when a network of WORKING fast chargers along traveled routes doesn't exist. oh, look, Tesla has this, why can't I go on long distance road trips with my "long-distance" EV?

shakes head. oh well. just maybe the forced VW ev chargers will be something more than a boondoggle. 3rd party indeed. THAT always works...(sarcasm)

coleAK | March 26, 2019

I think Tesla would get a more favorable spin from the media if they would suck it up and advertise. Really? How long can they go without ads? They are selling a tangible product in a highly competitive market, not something Elon has much experience with looking at his history.

Also doing away with showrooms I think could hurt them when there are other options that are somewhat close competition. Most of the time cars are an impulse buy, with as long lasting and reliable vehicles have gotten somone rarely really needs a new car.

Gordon87 | March 26, 2019

I'd wonder how many EVs get sold with the advertising (non-existent) of said EVs?

It can't be worth it when your product is sub-par.

Hell, even when the Bolt was COY (or some such award), there were very, very, very few ads for it. Seems it's always truck month. (shrugs)

And with Audi or any other "luxury" car maker, their EV ads seem to point you to a dealer that has none to show or drive and you get a gas-mobile instead. Marketing does work on some people.

I only hope the more test drives (not ads) that Tesla can muster by keeping stores or galleries or whatever u want to call them open, the more sales. You drive these things and you are sold. period. Skip the ad. talk to the local Tesla owner. word gets out. you can't stop people from gushing about their Teslas. Well, i can't anyway.

Magic 8 Ball | March 26, 2019

I am good with TESLA not paying media to lay off on extortion. Musk has done an excellent job of keeping the name in the news, in a different way. I expect more of same.

Kary993 | March 26, 2019

Is there a program where if owners let some new buyer test drive and they buy one there is a prize?

coleAK | March 26, 2019

@magic. I agree with you but I guess I lean toward in certain products at this point in time advertising is a nessessary sin.

@kary993. Great idea! For Tesla to Set up owners with prospective buyers. No way I would do it for a plaque, toy car, rims, supercharging, ... But I would take a floating commission from Tesla, starting at 15% of profit per vehicle for <10 cars a months sounds about right.

Kary993 | March 26, 2019

It could be a flexible workforce to sell telsa's...kinda like the Uber concept but to sell cars!

mneath | March 26, 2019

I am a current A3 e-tron owner who has an SR+ on order. Audi does a great job with fit and finish and styling, and I have had zero complaints (I'm trading in because my commute is now too long for the e-tron's meager range).
When the forthcoming SUV e-tron and other longer range Audi's become available, Tesla will be in for a real fight. That said, Tesla has many advantages mentioned by others above (supercharging network, battery production efficiencies, OTA updates, home delivery, etc.). The more EV competition, the better.

I do get tired of the big car companies hyping their EVs only to sell them solely on the West Coast. They love meeting the compliance goals and generating goodwill from EV models, but they don't want to commit to nationwide rollouts. A big issue is the dealer network. The dealers are quite resistant to EVs, don't want to be educated, don't want to lose service revenue, etc. This is as true of Audi as any others.

Kary993 | March 26, 2019

If Audi dealers will not educate themselves, and at present will not even have the new SUV eTron in a dealership (you just have to order it), and there is no network to charge, why would anyone buy a sight unseen car with no support?

AWDTesla | March 26, 2019

I'm not sure, same reason why Tesla owners bought Teslas?

EM34ME | March 26, 2019

audi-will-have-a-tesla-model-3-rival-in-2023"

The problem for Audi is two-fold:

1. The model 3 in 2023 will be nothing like the model 3 in 2019. Audi is shooting behind the target by 4 years or more.

2. Audi doesn't have a proprietary Supercharger system. Audi won't be competitive until they can compete on that level. So far Electrify America is expensive, overcrowded, prone to malfunction, and available to everyone with an EV.

Kary993 | March 26, 2019

I don't think so. I have been driving EV's for 4 years and there are solid reasons why people buy EV's and Audi is going to have a tough time here in the USA presently with their attitude. Audi doesn't have a charging network, over the air updates, Auto-pilot, helpful sales staff, any cars to drive, and the list goes on and on.....

I see you are buying a Telsa rather than an Audi EV, why? (other than no range with Audi EV's and price is too high)

Pepperidge | March 26, 2019

They should seriously think about survival first. They are 5 years behind and Tesla runs faster than others.

jordanrichard | March 26, 2019

Even when Audi and the others come out with their Tesla "killers"/competition, they will still be behind Tesla. They are in catch mode and will rush to market whatever they can and it will show.

Look at the forthcoming Mercedes EQ400. It looks like any standard plain wrapper SUV and has no front trunk. Reason being, the body was designed to also accommodate an ICE engine. So when one compares a Tesla X to the MB EQ400, they will see that one gets more space in the X, plus free OTA updates and the supercharging network.

carlk | March 26, 2019

@Kary993 | March 26, 2019
***@carlk - "No matter which side you're on there is no argument that Tesla is way ahead of the rest in the EV arena"

What do you mean by this specifically?***

No one is even close to of making or selling the same number of EV's at the similar price and performance levels in the foreseeable future. Let me know there is any factual thing that does not agree with that statement.

Rt002k | March 26, 2019

Future is bright because they're looking at Tesla taillights!

2015P90DI | March 26, 2019

Didn't see one derogatory word about Tesla in that article. Tesla fans being too sensitive at reality. All it said was, Tesla blazed the way and there's competition coming. Absolutely 100% true. According to Elon himself, he continuously said he hopes that other manufacturers follow his lead. He's getting exactly what he wants. Tesla will have to adjust how they do things to compete, but Tesla has already established itself. Provided that Tesla makes necessary adjustments along the way, they're here to stay. But, they are no longer in a market of "one". That's good (great) for the consumer.

gballant4570 | March 26, 2019

@carlk - "No matter which side you're on there is no argument that Tesla is way ahead of the rest in the EV arena"

What do you mean by this specifically?

Just pick anything. Anything at all.

jordanrichard | March 26, 2019

2015P90DI, until these other cars come to market, they don’t exist. I even tell people that the Model Y and Roadster don’t exist yet because they are not available for purchase.

The Mission requires all hands on deck. However, that doesn't at all address the way the legacy car companies are treated compared to Tesla. Does every Audi that catches fire or crashes show up in news articles? Is the statement "Pioneer of a new generation of vehicles" by Benz even questioned? I want them all to be very successful with their EVs. We all NEED them to be very successful with their EVs. I am not at all certain all this coddling is helpful to them or to the larger us, as they are all sure to go through the same or more severe EV hells that Tesla has gone through and is going through. A number of them will not survive those hells.

I want consumers to have many choices. I want those many choices to meet a charging standard so that existing charging networks are not proprietary. I want millions of EVs to be sold every year in the US an all around the world. Tesla cannot do that, or even one tenth of that alone.

I want all the fine talk we are hearing this year to be acted on, and not forgotten. Today, Tesla IS THE STANDARD. For the desired state to exist, others must challenge Tesla for that status. They are not moving fast enough.

billtphotoman | March 26, 2019

It seems like VW/Audi is going to dislocate their shoulder from patting themselves on the back for planning on skating in 2022+ where the puck is right now.

Model 3s outselling German cars in Germany right now might save them from rotator cuff destruction.....

burdogg | March 26, 2019

@2015P90DI - why in the world is it taking them so long though??? 2019...oh wait 202...wait now we are at 2023?!? 10 years after Tesla came out with the Model S??

They keep looking at and throwing out future vehicles and it is getting old. 3 years ago I got tired of the... this car will go x and charge in 5 minutes - but won't be available until 2021! Yeah, announce those crazy specs to get attention but in reality, that car will not exist until science catches up - which may not be until 2023...but we can say what we want about our future car and that it is coming in 3 years...because by that time, most will have forgotten and won't realize we shifted the goal post another 2 years AND changed some items we once touted.

Competition is good - not trying to knock that, just tired of our car will do X in 5 years from now - come on - the cars should be all on the road by now....not 4 years from now still!

Sslnight | March 26, 2019

I had a chance to go to the Audi E-tron SUV event here a few weeks ago thanks to a friend who works there and was not impressed. The vehicle seems “large” on the outside but felt cramped on the inside with buttons everywhere and all sorts of crazy cubby holes with more buttons.

Under the “frunk” is a tiny storage space that is proly half or less the size of the model 3 and trunk is equally small. To top it all off the range on the cluster displayed 200 mi.

Im glad the other automakers are starting to get serious but im reminded of a quote from Anthony Stark... “Yeah I’d say most countries 5-10 years away….Hammer Industries 20.” Lol!

My brother bought a Dodge the other day. I went with him to the dealer (I find myself doing odd things now that I;m retired) and listened to the sales pitch, how high tech the car was, etc... after we drove there in my Tesla....anyhow, although the screen is about as big as a phone screen, everything in the vehicle could be done either on the screen, or with knobs and buttons. Of course there were kn obs and buttons all over the thing. All in an attempt to attract both the tech savvy and the tech phobic. In my view, it was a failure. My brother bought it though. He is a knob and button guy.
Maybe Audi is cluttering up their vehicles for the same reasons....

Passion2Fly | March 26, 2019

Germany is the number one Tesla Model 3 customer is Europe with over 8,000 orders so far...

greg | March 26, 2019

2023 is obviously the new 2020.

carlk | March 27, 2019

@burdogg
*****@2015P90DI - why in the world is it taking them so long though???*****

At this point they know they can't affort not to join the EV game. On the other hand they know they can't afford to do it either. There have been so much invested in ICE development, capital equipment etc. that need time to recover. The best compromise for them is to d...o i....t v...e...r....y s....l....o....w....l.....y.

Pages