Forums

Rear trunk closes without warning

Rear trunk closes without warning

One two occasions while one of us was digging around in the trunk, When the other exited the car from a front door, the rear trunk started closing on us without warning. Anybody else experience this? Any ideas what might be causing it. Clunked both our heads a bit.

bob | March 27, 2019

Auto lock set to ON when the FOB isn't present? I'm also pretty sure there's a timer that'll shut the doors after a few minutes.

jimglas | March 27, 2019

thanks, I will check, but this occurred immediately with closing on of the front doors.

mbirnie51 | March 27, 2019

I've had the trunk close on me on a few occasions....but I think it's because with fob in pants pocket and reaching into below deck storage area I inadvertantly hit the fob and the trunk closes. Sometimes I get frustrated with these accidental closures.

LTR | March 27, 2019

Definitely set it to close on three clicks...not one. I changed that one week into my ownership.
Still LOVE LOVE LOVE the car.

jimglas | March 28, 2019

thanks for the insights, the accidental keyfob pressure in the pocket make sense while standing from sitting.

Vawlkus | March 28, 2019

Mine has ALWAYS beeped before it closes.

jimglas | March 28, 2019

i don't hear a beep, but I have pretty bad tinnitus

mbirnie51 | March 29, 2019

I was unaware that you could change the number of clicks to initiate closures. My two fobs need three clicks to get any action for closure; just two clicks will open FWD or trunk/frunk. I forgot to mention that the trunk does give me the warning beep.

roslyn.dahl | April 29, 2019

This happened to me once last week and again today. Bending into trunk to pick up something. No warning chime. No pressure on fob (fob out of car). The door comes down hard enough that it does hurt your back. I can't recall any similarity in the 2 situations to isolate the issue.

mbp11 | April 30, 2019

This is very strange behavior. My rear trunk beeps when I give it a command to close or hit the close button on the trunk itself, and if there is something in the way, my head, a protruding object, it alarms and stops.

OI have had the falcon wing doors clunk down on me, and a passenger a couple of times without stopping. It was after being erroneously given a command to close.

You might want to test it a few times with "soft" objects blocking it to see if detects it or stops. If it does not, time for a service call!

sonnynoto | April 30, 2019

I've had both these I'll call malfunctions happen to me along with returning to my car and finding the driver side door or either falcon wing door open more than twice . Any one else ?

Vawlkus | April 30, 2019

Never had either.

mbp11 | April 30, 2019

I have had this happen once since I have owned the car (about 9 months) but since I have sent the lock to triple click on the fob and securely locked, no problems since then.

However I still have senior moments where I leave a door open to remove things from the car, and I wander inside the house and forget I left the door open! What a dummy!

David Trushin | May 2, 2019

I've had this happen to me as well. I believe that the door will time out and close if it cannot sense the fob even if antilock is off. Also, I've noticed that if you open the hatch and manually move the door up, when you close the hatch with the button it doesn't beep until the door passes the auto open position. At least on my car.

mbp11 | May 2, 2019

Yeah, but my FWD stayed open all night! Fortunately I live in a quiet neighborhood and nothing was inside!

susan.browning | September 26, 2019

This has been happening to me multiple times over the last few months. I have had my Model X since late 2016. It has never done this prior to a few months ago. Key fob is in my purse - next to the car - when the beep happens and starts closing. I have been hit a few times. Now, I am much faster. I have not changed anything on my settings. I have an appointment in a week for other items as well as this.