Forums

Scratches

Scratches

Brunoranger | April 3, 2019

Hey all, I had my car windows tinted yesterday and I’m not sure how this happened but there are a lot of scratches on this middle glass window pane where the camera is on the side of the car, does anyone know how I can get these out?

Looks like the chrome trim was scratched in 2 small spots also. I’m assuming he locked the frameless windows up to install but forgot and tried shutting the door. Anyone know how to get those out also?

https://ibb.co/QkXzYBy

lilbean | April 3, 2019

Those don't buff out. The chrome needs to be replaced.

geedub1023 | April 3, 2019

I'd take it back and have the company who tinted your windows fix the window tint scratches. For the chrome, I'd also try to make them repair or reimburse you to have it repaired/replaced.

The window tint itself is not scratched in the picture above I'm referring to the middle glass window pane (where you would put the Tesla key to enter the vehicle) is there any way to get this out?

Magic 8 Ball | April 3, 2019

Scratches can be polished out of glass no problem.

@Magic 8 ball, forgive my ignorance, with a regular polishing pad by hand and regular polish?

Google Cerium Oxide. You will find all sorts of kits that use that powder and you will find youtube videos that walk you through the process. The key is to use lots of water to keep things cool. If you heat the glass up with the process you will crack it.

jamespompi | April 3, 2019

@Magic 8 Ball Thanks, I didnt know this could be done. I also have a scratch on my B pillar like OP. its straight across the AP camera and it drives me nuts.

@jamespompi I am glad you brought up camera. Polishing removes material and it is possible to create distortion if done improperly. The glass in front of the camera is an optical element, not just cosmetic, so use at your own risk. I learned this process when a drywall installer scratched my biggest window when we did the remodel (his 100 grit orbital sander left a nice boo boo). It was deep but I was patient and it took a whole day but I got the boo boo out and you can see only very slight wavy distortion at just the right angle but no one would see it unless I pointed it out and even then some don't see it.

ILoveMyModel3 | April 3, 2019

I'm sure it was done when they were leaning/rubbing agest the car the cut/fit the tint on the outside before installing it on the inside. They should have covered the side of your car to prevent their shirt buttons, jacket buttons and pants from causing damage to the vehicle.

ILoveMyModel3 | April 3, 2019

from the pic, it looks as if someone had on a jacket and the zipper part was rubbing on the car.

Beakon | December 9, 2019

Replying to an old thread but double check so that you don't have an plastic cover/protection film on the glas covering the camera. I Had that on one side, and that side scratched easliy but upon closer inspection i saw the plastic film and since the other side didn't have it on, i removed it.

jwins | December 9, 2019

The same happened to us, @Beakon. The plastic blended in so well that I never noticed it until I saw a bunch of scratches -- from my wife rubbing her wallet (with the card key inside) against the side to unlock the car. I thought, "Glass shouldn't be so susceptible" and that's when I realized that bit of plastic film hadn't been removed . . .