Forums

Airbag recall cut wires!!!

Airbag recall cut wires!!!

I had after market speakers in the side pillars air bags so they cut wires and didn't hook them back up.Don't seem right!!!

TeslaTap.com | April 5, 2019

1) What recall? I'm not aware of any side pillar airbag recall.
2) From what I've seen of some third-party installers, the wires would have likely interfered with the airbag and may not have been long enough to properly be routed. Tesla does provide a channel for wires so they will not interfere with the airbag. Without knowing more it's hard to say. Can't say I'd like a speaker flying at me at 100 mph during an airbag deployment. You might review the wiring and speaker very carefully.

rxlawdude | April 5, 2019

Speakers IN the airbags?

1) What recall? I'm not aware of any side pillar airbag recall.
2) From what I've seen of some third-party installers, the wires would have likely interfered with the airbag and may not have been long enough to properly be routed. Tesla does provide a channel for wires so they will not interfere with the airbag. Without knowing more it's hard to say. Can't say I'd like a speaker flying at me at 100 mph during an airbag deployment. You might review the wiring and speaker very carefully.

Sorry about the double post - forum acting a bit strange this morning.

pkballou | April 5, 2019

They had to remove both side pillars in order to perform airbag recall. On 2014 to 2016 S

RedJ | April 5, 2019

Ooh the rare split double post

MilesMD88 | April 5, 2019

@TeslaTap
Picked up my 2015 P85D yesterday. 3 recalls were accomplished.
- Replaced Steering Bolt that could corrode
-Replaced front & side Takada Airbags (recall affected 2014 - 16 MS)
-Rear Hatch Drain Plug

ST70 | April 5, 2019

@MilesMD88- are you sure they replaced the side airbag? Here's what I got today:

Replace Front Passenger Airbag
Replaced the front passenger airbag with an updated part.
Correction: Replace Front Passenger Airbag, 2014 - 2016 Model S, North America, EMEA, Australia, And New Zealand

Parts Replaced or Added
Part
Quantity
MS NAR - PASSENGER AIRBAG ASSY (PAB) 1
(1463361-99-A)

murphyS90D | April 6, 2019

The recall only affects the passenger dash airbag. Both A pillar covers have to be removed to remove the dash pad. The passenger airbag is bolted to the underside of the dash pad. When activated it blasts right through the dash pad. Hopefully the dash pad is perforated so it folds up and is not blown straight into the passengers face.

Silver2K | April 6, 2019

Stop bitching! The glass will soften the blow!

Silver2K | April 6, 2019

Oh wait! I misread that. :)

still funny :)

pkballou | April 6, 2019

The main thing is they didn't hook the speakers back up. it's not my fault there was a airbag recall. Calling Tesla!!!

thranx | April 6, 2019

@rxlawdude: Trump cabinet.
(Sorry...could resist).
(Probably should have).

MilesMD88 | April 6, 2019

@ST70...paperwork says to replace those 2 pax airbags. In the corrective action, it only shows front pax airbag. Person wrote up ticket wrong. But you’re right & the tech only replaced the one recall bag.

pkballou | April 13, 2019

Update the Tesla service center called and said to bring the car back in and they will hook the speakers back up free of charge.