Forums

Automatic Garage Opener

Automatic Garage Opener

I am a little bit confused, I thought that all Tesla came with the garage opener already. Opens when you arrive at specific distance, and closes when you leave..

Now is as option for $300

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/automatic-garag...

wiscy67 | April 14, 2019

There should be no confusion. The location aware homelink comes standard only with premium interior. Yes now homelink is an optional add-on for SR/SR+ owners.

ALDONY | April 14, 2019

@wiscy67

thanks, i am getting confused with all these changes

EVRider | April 15, 2019

I’m surprised that they actually have to install the HomeLink module if you buy the option. I figured it was already installed but disabled in the firmware. I guess the module is expensive enough that a production change was justified.

theoryfa | April 15, 2019

I think the wording of the homelink feature on the premium interior makes it sound like every model has homelink, but the only difference is the location awareness. It was naive of me to assume the SR+ also came with homelink. However, it's nice to see an optional add on for $300. I'm currently just using a remote instead and it's not a big deal for me. It'd be convenient for have homelink but I can survive without it.

JarvisM3 | April 15, 2019

I ordered the homelink almost two weeks ago. I haven’t heard from the service center yet.

Mikael13 | April 15, 2019

Theoryfa - I’m not sure what your financial situation looks, but I think the $300 tag on Homelink is a great option you should consider. The M3 will recognize when you’re leaving and arriving home, and will either auto close or auto open the garage (plus the fold/unfold side mirror feature).

Grab it before any price increases! :-)

SteveWin1 | April 15, 2019

Be careful with this!

How dumb do you have to be not to notice the garage door closing, right? Well it happened to me a couple weekends ago. I have to back into my garage due to where my charger is located. The rear window doesn't provide a low enough view to ensure I'm not going to hit anything in my garage, so when I back in, I use the camera. The downside to using the backup camera is that the view is pretty low and you lose sight of the garage door pretty quickly as you back up. Basically, I washed my car and then had summon back my car into the garage, but it didn't back in on a straight line and would have hit the wall, so I jumped in and quickly pulled forward to straighten out and then backed up using the camera and heard the crunch. I'm sure most of you who park in a garage are desensitized to all the dinging sounds by now from the ultrasonics telling you that you're close to things. This makes it easy to miss the ding that lets you know what the garage door has been activated and if you're using your camera to back in, you may not be able to see the garage door coming down. Luckily no major damage, just some scratches on the rear glass panel. Sucks, but could have been worse.

The other thing that's not great is if you're in the garage with the garage door open and someone gets home with a Model 3, it will shut the door and sometimes there's a reason you had the garage door open (like there's a bicycle or some tools or a woodworking project right where the door comes down). A few times I've had to jump under the door to prevent the door from crushing something due to this.

-Tycho- | April 15, 2019

Good things to note -- thanks @SteveWin1!

Kary993 | April 15, 2019

@SteveWin1 - sorry to hear about your mishap. I had posted about this before and since our gate and garage are in close proximity and they are not straight shots into the garage, and sometimes I wash the car or just want to keep it out of the garage, I just disabled automatic arrive and leave for both the gate and garage. I had two very close mishaps that I was able to avert but only by about 6 inches in each case. My heart was definitely pounding both times. Now I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Phantom_Menace | April 15, 2019

I have an SR+ and I knew there was no Homelink so I just bought a product called Tailwind which automatically opens, closes my garage door based on proximity and has a bunch of other features. About $300 CAD. The big advantage of Tailwind is the ability to add more sensors so my other car (Toyota) can also utilize automatic open and close features.

fazman | April 15, 2019

Save the money, buy a garage door wifi model retrofit which is tied to your phone and let your phone handle the opening/closing of it. Homelink on this car is kinda stupid because it has no physical buttons yet it limits me to 3 programmings only. I need at least 5 programmings for two homes with two garages and one gated entrance. I see no reason why tesla shouldn't allow unlimited homelink programmings

I purchased the homelink $300 add on from Tesla. I called the local service center to ask how I go about having it installed. They activated and told me the next sleep cycle it will appear. Now to figure out when it goes to sleep lol.

mstoer | April 15, 2019

@JarvisM3 Does that mean they did not have to physically install anything?

rxlawdude | April 15, 2019

The other thing that's a bit odd and ambiguous is whether this Homelink retrofit will allow geo-tagged functions. This seems more basic than that on the Premium 3 and other Tesla vehicles.

That’s what the said. I’ll report

lbowroom | April 15, 2019

Homelink is a primarily a licensing agreement. Automakers pay Homelink a fee for every car running the homelink system. Most automakers across the board charge $300 for it. I'm guessing the same is true for satellite maps and streaming music. Makes sense that the lowest priced car would cut out these fees.

lbowroom | April 15, 2019

BTW, not necessary to activate the auto open and close feature. To me, this feature is really meant for security gates that need to open every time you arrive. At home, there's no guarantee for me that my wife hasn't left the garage open when I get home or that I want to pull it in the garage anyway.

Mine activated while I was at dinner.

Mine activated while I was at dinner.

EVRider | April 15, 2019

@fazman: The limitation of three HomeLink programs is a limitation in the HomeLink transmitter used by automakers, it’s not a Tesla limitation. That’s why other cars don’t support more than three programs.

Well I got home and it won’t program. You hit start and it says please wait getting ready to program. This may take up to a minute. It goes back to the same screen. I’m guessing they actually need to install something?

The only order page says service will contact you for installation. My service center didn’t know anything about it and had to cal me back. After I verified my purchase they texted me and said it’s activated. I have the garage icon but it won’t let me program. Says the message I posed above. I’ll have to cal them back tomorrow and ask.

Here’s a video of my SR + with the homelink. It doesn’t work as you can see haha. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0gXP1kT5I9PK4lYzMs62VAxCw#Home

mstoer | April 15, 2019

For me personally, I do not want my garage door to open automatically. I don't always put the car in the garage and it's really not that hard to open it manually. I am glad that they did not include that feature (and it's related cost). My old opener does not have homelink (or WIFI), I built my own WIFI based control and made an app for my phone. Works better than the remote that comes with the unit as I can open the door from about 100 ft away.

I don’t want the opener in the car. I have the app with Apple HomeKit but I don’t wanna mess with my phone. I park in my garage and enter the house via the garage so it’s perfect for me. To each their own right? :-)

EVRider | April 16, 2019

@JarvisM3: Please post your photo somewhere that allows anonymous access. Note that even in cars with HomeLink, it can be difficult for the car to recognize the garage remote — it took several attempts to make it work on both our Model S and Model 3.

JarvisM3 | April 16, 2019

I went to the service center in my way to the office this morning. They confirmed after connecting the car to their computers that they need to actually install the module in the front bumper. Service scheduled for May. The first appointment available.

drewallen42 | April 16, 2019

I scheduled myself an appointment with the Tesla App and asked for the Ranger to come to my house. They will be here between 9-10am. Not sure what’s going to happen tomorrow but I’lll let you know.

ben | April 16, 2019

It would be nice if I can sell my for $10. I setup once, and i randomly open my garage door at middle of night. I have to reset my garage opener. :(

JarvisM3 | April 16, 2019

In Minnesota appointments are out until May now. For mobile or direct at the service center.

JarvisM3 | April 17, 2019

@drewallen42, how did your appointment go?

drewallen42 | April 17, 2019

I purchased the car new on March 19th 2019. It’s a SR+ with a 2019 VIN.

I purchased the homelink option on the website about a week ago and then schdueled myself an appointment through my app asking if I could have what ever installed at my house. They scheduled it this morning for home installation.

There is a software update as well as an actual piece of hardware. The tech explained that the actual module has the wire under the driver side wheelwell but it doesn’t have the piece of hardware.

He removed all plastic in my Frunk and also the front bumper and then installed the hardware under the inside top part of my drivers side wheelwell. It took him about 30 minutes doing that and then about 45 to get the software update to work. There was some issue with his laptop connecting to my car.

He said if you have the hardware they can just update without coming out but my car didn’t have it.

I know it’s crazy to spend $300 for an automatic garage door opener but I’ve used it 3 times today and think it’s fantastic.

You can adjust the range of when the door open/close automatically. I put it at 40 feet and it seems to work well.

JarvisM3 | April 17, 2019

Can’t wait! I have the software installed. Just have to wait until service can get me in.

wiscy67 | April 17, 2019

When you arrive home and your garage is already open (ie a family member has opened it) does the Tesla auto opener try to close it?

ALDONY | April 18, 2019

@wiscy67

Unfortunately yes, I had mine deactivated once I encountered the same problem a few times.

I have deactivated the option to. Open when I arrive and close when I leave.

Couple of time the sensors didn't work well and the garage door ended up closing on top of my glass roof. Not a fun time believe me..

I don't know how it happened, as soon as I drive into my driveway the door opened (amazing)

but I guess when I have to turn the car around in order to backup into the garage, the sensor started the closing process, and the safety sensor were in between the front and rear wheels.

ALDONY | April 18, 2019

@wiscy67

Unfortunately yes, I had mine deactivated once I encountered the same problem a few times.

I have deactivated the option to. Open when I arrive and close when I leave.

Couple of time the sensors didn't work well and the garage door ended up closing on top of my glass roof. Not a fun time believe me..

I don't know how it happened, as soon as I drive into my driveway the door opened (amazing)

but I guess when I have to turn the car around in order to backup into the garage, the sensor started the closing process, and the safety sensor were in between the front and rear wheels.