Forums

Plan to undermine Toyota's deceitful "Self Charging" claim

Plan to undermine Toyota's deceitful "Self Charging" claim

Robert Llewellyn, over at Fully Charged, has a brilliant idea to turn the tables on Toyota's (and now Ford) ridiculous "Self Charging" claim. His idea is to append "self charging" to the name Tesla every time you mention the product. e.g. "I just bought a Tesla Self Charging Model 3." Or "Would you like to take a test ride in my Self Charging Tesla Model S?". Sure, it's misleading, but if Tesla's dirty competitors (dirty in more ways than one) are going to deceive their customers with the term, car companies that are truly trying to wean automobiles from petroleum should fight fire with fire. If you're an honorable person who prefers not to lie, rest assured, you're not. Regenerative Braking does in fact "Self Charge" the car. Calling hybrid vehicles self charging is solely intended to leave naive, credulous people with an impression that some magical process using magnets and quantum physics, allows the car to charge itself. It's BULL... and we should undermine their attempt.

https://youtu.be/DPGqv3LZVLg

Magic 8 Ball | April 20, 2019

Once they figure out self charging does not mean what they thought it meant they will curse Toyota. Probably not a good idea to associate the TESLA with more stuff that would piss people off.

Daryl | April 20, 2019

I don't think lying is the best way to counter someone else's lies.

Sure, maybe it's not technically a lie, but it sure is misleading.

Rutrow 3 | April 20, 2019

https://youtu.be/DPGqv3LZVLg?t=360

The deceivers are winning the information war. Political strategists will tell you that if you give up on low information voters, you WILL LOSE. Toyota and the oil companies will welcome our reluctance to engage the fight because of high minded principles. The moral difference will be that we encourage learning the truth.

hokiegir1 | April 20, 2019

Ooooorrrrr...instead of trying to combat lies with more lies, you could explain to people WHY Toyota's ad is misleading. Educate. It's really not that hard a concept.

TranzNDance | April 20, 2019

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw

vishious911 | April 20, 2019

I don't think people are dumb enough to fall for the "self charging" claim. Sounds too good to be true.

But then again, America never fails in disappointing me.

82bert | April 20, 2019

People are most certainly dumb enough.

thedrisin | April 20, 2019

It has self charging features