Forums

Biggest vehicle upgrade ever?

Biggest vehicle upgrade ever?

I'm just finally, finally, fianally getting my new Model S Thursday or Friday! The vehicle I'm replacing is a 2004 Toyota Camry that has over 451,000 miles on it and has been in at least 7 accidents (6 totally the other person's fault). I'm curious who here has upgraded from something crappier and if anyone had more miles on their vehicle?

bishoppeak | April 21, 2019

I'm betting you win!

SO | April 21, 2019

Wow! Major upgrade. Congrats!

Hopefully no more accidents.

Your mileage on that Camry is impressive.

RedJ | April 21, 2019

I upgraded from a Nissan Versa in 2016, but it was a fairly new one. I think you win the category.

kevincwong | April 21, 2019

I don't consider the Camry to be a crappy car, but your generation of Camry was my least favorite. However it did deliver for Toyota by increasing their margin (it was cheaper to manufacturer) and Toyota overtook GM for the world's most sold car manufacturer.

Anyways, we gave away our 07 Lexus Rx400h to my sister-in-law after picking up our Model S but we kept our 2001 VW Golf TDI, 2006 GM Duramax, and 2013 Fiat 500e.

tes-s | April 21, 2019

You may be the winner! 30k miles a year will be much more pleasant in your new MS. Enjoy the ride!

TranzNDance | April 21, 2019

How about having no car?

barrykmd | April 21, 2019

If you have 7 accidents in a Tesla over 15 years, it will spend 5 of those years in a body shop waiting for parts.

kerryglittle | April 21, 2019

Thats going to be quite the transition. In vehicles I mean. LOL.

AERODYNE | April 21, 2019

1995 Acura Integra GS-R. Does not really count as I still have it in reserve for hauling junk, and when it rains, and in case of accidents like Barry mentions

Bone stock, 454k miles, all original including accessories. Not bad except for being an ICE and all

dtodd16 | April 21, 2019

Hard to call a car that has been in seven accidents plus and 451,000 miles crappy. Sounds like you could do a commercial for Toyota.

pgkevet | April 21, 2019

7 accidents since 2004? Have you guys never heard of Trigger's broom?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=LAh8HryVaeY

crazy canaler | April 21, 2019

Yeah, barrykmd, accident repairs are my biggest fear with buying a Tesla. However, I hope that they will get better and better as they open they're own repair shops. So maybe it will be 6 months in the shop for the first accident 2 months for the 2nd, 2 weeks for the 3rd, 1 week for the fourth, then days for the rest.

But seriously, one of my biggest reasons for buying a Tesla is the serious accident where it gets totalled and you realize you's be dead or disabled in any other car.

Aerodyne, I'm not quite ready to take the silver yet. It could be mid May before I can get ceramic coating done on my Tesla - frontrunning name Bolt Runner - and I won't drive it until it's done. Can anyone say Torment of Tantalus?!

I don't consider my Camry crappy either. Perhaps beyond fully depreciated is a much better term. No less than 3 assailants to my Camry had to be towed from the scene while it had minor bumper damage. Hah! That should teach them! Cost of gas is more than double the cost of the vehicle, routine and repair maintenance combined.

Yeah, barrykmd, accident repairs are my biggest fear with buying a Tesla. However, I hope that they will get better and better as they open they're own repair shops. So maybe it will be 6 months in the shop for the first accident 2 months for the 2nd, 2 weeks for the 3rd, 1 week for the fourth, then days for the rest.

But seriously, one of my biggest reasons for buying a Tesla is the serious accident where it gets totalled and you realize you's be dead or disabled in any other car.

Aerodyne, I'm not quite ready to take the silver yet. It could be mid May before I can get ceramic coating done on my Tesla - frontrunning name Bolt Runner - and I won't drive it until it's done. Can anyone say Torment of Tantalus?!

I don't consider my Camry crappy either. Perhaps beyond fully depreciated is a much better term. No less than 3 assailants to my Camry had to be towed from the scene while it had minor bumper damage. Hah! That should teach them! Cost of gas is more than double the cost of the vehicle, routine and repair maintenance combined.

Woops! Damn I hate people who double post! :)

tes-s | April 21, 2019

"accident repairs are my biggest fear with buying a Tesla"

3 repairs in 5 years. Total of 16 days without the car. Hasn't been an issue for me.

Munka | April 21, 2019

I came from a Giant TCR Advanced Pushbike to a Model S P100DL, surely that's got to win :) Prior to the bike I hadn't owned a car since 2011.

pgkevet | April 22, 2019

@munka. Sorry you lose big time.. a complete downgrade of your green credentials :-)

bhanuk99 | April 22, 2019

@crazy canaler-with those amazing miles did you ever call the car talk guys during the time when they were running the show on public radio? I loved it when the callers make the engine noises.

TeslaTap.com | April 22, 2019

Consider you're far more likely to be alive after 7 accidents in the Tesla. I expect in other cars, you don't get to 7 accidents because you've died already. Then again if you're getting into accidents every 2 years, you need to ask yourself if you really should be driving any vehicle.

kerryglittle | April 22, 2019

Oh snap TeslaTap. LOL.

crazy canaler | April 23, 2019

Munka, I declare you the winner - at least in the non-miles category!

Bhanuk99, I'm not familiar with car talk shows. And my Camry still has not been back to the dealership since I bought it.

Tesla Tap - ha ha. However, please reread the part where 6 were not my fault. I've only had 1 accident that's been my fault in 33 years of driving. 2 were while totally stopped at lights. One was while parked. One was in a parking lot the rear passenger side quarter panel going 8 mph. Maybe I should have been going 10mph! Heck I had my Cutlass Ciera totaled while parked in a parking lot. Maybe I shouldn't park in a parking lot either?!

At least no one will hit me in my garage!

kerryglittle | April 23, 2019

My biggest fear is someone running into me too. In 47 years of driving I have never had an accident that was my fault. Now people are on their damn phones all the time which makes it even worse. Plus everyone is in a hurry these days. It only takes a second of distraction for things to turn deadly. Yes parking lots are not safe either. I had a guy back into my bike and knock it over. I was just walking to it when it happened and he was getting ready to leave before I stepped in front of him. He said he didn't see the bike. Really? How can you miss a 1,000 pound bike? I said so if there was a small child there instead you would have just killed it. Damn people are stupid and careless.

Munka | April 23, 2019

Woohoo, what's my prize? I didn't actually buy the car for green credentials, an Sr+ might be a green choice but anything more excessive than you need is not a green choice! P100dl is most certainly excessive!

barrykmd | April 23, 2019

How can you miss a 1,000 pound bike?

Must be tough to pedal. Mine only weighs about 15 lbs.

Motorcycle Barry motorcycle. LOL. Yeah the idiot was backing into a spot without looking and of course no backup camera back then.

barrykmd | April 23, 2019

I know it's a motorcycle. I forgot the smiley! :-)

LOL. I know Barry. Thats what makes this forum fun that we can kid around a lot. Some get to serious but it takes all kinds to make the world go round. :-)

TeslaTap.com | April 23, 2019

@crazy - Yep, I should resist the impulse to be a smartass..

I agree, concern is not my driving but others who are texting, eating a meal or clipping toenails while driving (yep, I've see all three more often than I'd like). One reason I like my Tesla, as I feel a bit safer, should some bonehead crash into me. Hoping that never happens, but like to be prepared.

crazy canaler | April 23, 2019

Munka, I emailed Elon to see if he has any of the gifts left that he gave out to Day 1 Model 3 reservationists. For me the Model S is enough. Model S plus a grand for the Camry would be even better!

Tesla Tap, I wouldn't respect you nearly as much if you weren't a smartass.