Forums

"Automatic emergency braking disabled" ?

"Automatic emergency braking disabled" ?

So, my wife said that yesterday our X100D stopped abruptly just before the community gate and flashed an error "Automatic emergency braking disabled" message. She put the car back in drive, and went on her way. No autopilot features currently active... she said it just applied the brakes hard and stopped while she was driving it.

We've had the X for one week now, and I haven't seen anything like this. Random software bug? That sounds like about the point where it would automatically pull down the homelink menu for the gate, although it'd be very odd for it to be related to that. Software version 2019.12.1.2.

My plan currently is to wait and see if it happens again, then call service. Or... is this a "call immediately" kind of thing?

TeslaTap.com | May 14, 2019

Doesn't sound urgent, and I'd wait to see if happens again. No idea where you are, but any chance there was a lot of snow/ice on the front bumper (unlikely this late in Spring)? It can interfere with the radar. Dirt will not interfere with radar. Also check if the area in front of the cameras is clean. A big bird dropping or smashed bug right in front of the cameras might interfere with the operation.

darron | May 15, 2019

Nah. We're in Houston. The cameras all look fairly clean.

I could imagine that a big community gate with vertical bars and large gaps could cause some funny radar/image returns from frame to frame. (items behind it appearing/disappearing) It's probably not related though... that should be relatively common.

Thanks, we'll just wait and see.

jvs11560 | May 29, 2019

My sons 2017 Passat has auto Emergency braking. Although, it is sensitive, it has saved him a few tmes. I do not understand how Tesla can publicly state that they make the safest SUV, when a 25K VW has a better system.Please beware of these systems and the false sense of security that Tesla enables.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-x-allegedly-hits-pregnant-wo...

In this case, a woman, who had purchased the vehicle because she thought it was the Safest SUV made, was run over by that vehicle. After parking the car, Her 2 year old son, went back into the MX, and was near the drivers seat. With the seat sensors, AEB, and federal laws governing starting a vehicle in Drive, and having the brake depressed while shifting into gear, How did this 2 year old have his weight on the seat, brake depressed, and able to run over his mom????

TeslaTap.com | May 30, 2019

@jvs11560 - Tesla never said the car was safer for people outside the car. Unless the Passat was put in the identical situation, I'm not sure it would do better or not . Why would you think the Passat could possibly be safer. Let's check the list - does the Passat have:

Large front crumple zone?
Carries no explosive gas?
Have Traction and Stability control?
Is it almost impossible to rollover?
Does it have side collision avoidance?
How about Emergency lane departure avoidance?

Now does it do all this and seat 7 and fun to drive?

Then you wonder what other lies and scams VW has in its cars. New revelations just seem to keep coming from a company now known to be very unethical.

jvs11560 | May 30, 2019

@TeslaTap - Seiously??? How many Passats run over their owners? Tesla touts its cars as the safest. Admittitedly, some of their safety features are very good. I especially like the one where the cars wil enguage into park, if the driver is not buckled up, or the seat sensor doesn't detect the driver.

From the court filing that I read, the car was in park and shut off. The Owner had the keys on her person. How did a 2 year old, playing on the floor of the car, reach the accelerator, and start the MX? It is against Federal law to start ANY vehicle in gear. It is also a Federal law that every passenger vehicle must have the brake depressed before enguaging into forward, or reverse. Once again, how was a 2 year old, able to do all these things? These laws are designed to avoid these kind of accidents. The woman is suing, in part, because she bought the MX because of believing it was the Safest SUV made.

If you'de like to wager, I would bet that TSLA is going to be paying out a lot of moola on this one. I cannot see their defense. The logs that they published, are impossible for a 2 year old to have completed. BTW, this all happened in a matter of seconds. There is NO WAY, a 2 year old, could sit on the seat, depress the brake pedal, put the car in drive, and still remain seated. IT IS PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE!

Vawlkus | May 31, 2019

NSHTA would disagree with you. As would anybody with half a brain.

TeslaTap.com | May 31, 2019

@jvs11560 - You're assuming the person suing is truthful. I agree that I don't' see a 2 year old able to do all things necessary to drive the car. Sounds more like a scam to get money. I'd want to see the logs to understand exactly what happened and even that might not tell the story. Perhaps there was another adult or older child that actually drove, and then they decided to blame the 2 year old and get a payday. Until the court case is heard and all the evidence is presented and the court rules, we really don't know. Knowing what it takes (as you pointed out), makes be very suspicious of the case. Just too many interlocks.

jvs11560 | May 31, 2019

@TeslaTap TSLA released the logs. It shows that a 2 year old was doing the entire sequence. The neighbors all helped, while the womam was pinned to the wall of her garage. Something is wrong here...Like you wrote, when the facts come out at trial, it should be apparant. Let's wait and see!

Vawlkus | June 4, 2019

I doubt it will get to trial. Pretty sure the judge will tell the woman to keep a better eye on her children.

Tesla is pretty well covered since they’ve already released the logs that show the car was turned on, put into gear, displayed a warning about pressing brake & go pedal simultaneously, and then the go pedal being mashed. There’s also the fact that FOUR MONTHS before this event occurred, Tesla released the ‘pin to drive’ feature that would have prevented this incident altogether.

Triggerplz | June 4, 2019

So if a child is playing with a Bic lighter and burn the house down then it’s appropriate to sue Bic
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jvs11560 | June 4, 2019

@Trigger - Does a big lighter have a federal law relating to it's use? Does BIC advertise that they are the safest, fastest lighters out there? To date, no one has answered the simple question, "How did a 2 year old, sit on the seat, depress the brake pedal, engage the car into drive, and depress the accelerator?

This could not have happened in a 20K Kia, Ford, or Toyota. Those cars manufacterers don't brag about how safe they are.

Vawlkus | June 5, 2019

Flags for jvs.

Triggerplz | June 5, 2019

I also donated

mojojojo | June 8, 2019

Why would you automatically assume that the consumer is just another POS, instead of looking into the facts and trying to figure out if Tesla could be at fault? I sincerely hope these people are not Tesla employees.

Vawlkus | June 10, 2019

My assessment is based on the bullshit being spouted and nothing else.

I’m interested in FACTS, and jvs has none.