Forums

Bluetooth poor music quality?

Bluetooth poor music quality?

When I'm linked via Bluetooth, the music quality is poor. When I change to Tesla's "Streaming", the music quality is excellent. This is via an iPhone and iTunes on the phone. Since I don't have the quality issue with other car audio systems, is this a known problem in Tesla's and Model 3's?

ODWms | May 17, 2019

It's not known on mine. Sounds great.

hlaiii | May 17, 2019

I also just noticed this too. I haven't played much iTunes music via Bluetooth in the car in recent weeks, but just tonight (and a couple of nights ago), some of my favorite Tool songs were found to sound pretty crappy in the car. Possibly a recent update? I compare with some Slacker channels, but clearly I know now that I am not the only one.

FISHEV | May 17, 2019

One of the audio shop owners told me that Bluetooth would not be as good as direct wired but I didn’t find that to be true on previous car which was the one he was quoting on at the time. I have to turn the car and the iPhone volume up but it still lacks sound quality.

EVRider | May 18, 2019

Bluetooth quality is not as good as direct connection (which isn’t an option on Teslas), but you wouldn’t necessary notice the difference in a car. The Bluetooth quality shouldn’t be poor, so it sounds like something’s wrong. How is the audio quality for phone calls?

CharleyBC | May 18, 2019

So, my $99 Panasonic after-market stereo in my former Honda supported connections to my phone by my choice of USB or Bluetooth. Surely my $55K car ought to be able to do the same at some point. It also had a button so I could activate Siri to do things like read and compose texts while driving. C’mon, Tesla, make us happier!

M3phan | May 18, 2019

Mine sounds amazing. iPhone volume set to one notch below max, music preset to nothing, car volume set to 50%, car EQ left flat, balance either centered or set to rear slightly, immersive set to high.

MyRedM3 | May 18, 2019

I experienced the same but my assumption is the streaming is so excellent BT feels subpar. I used to buy and download but completely stopped doing that. And, I have to fiddle with the phone to change music. With Slacker its right there

Neomaxizoomdweebie | May 18, 2019

I've got a 128GB thumb drive with 2 partitions, one for TeslaCam and one for Music. I converted all of my favorite tunes to FLAC files. Plays great!

Bated Breath | May 18, 2019

I thought the bluetooth quality was poor then I realized I needed to increase the volume on my phone. Now the quality is awesome.

ODWms | May 18, 2019

I agree. I do realize that some people have expectations and tastes that are way above mine, so I respect that. One user here spent $3000 upgrading the existing stereo system in his Model 3, it was so bad to him. Goes way over my head.

hfisher3380 | May 18, 2019

First a word of warning - I’m a full-blown audiophile. First let me say that for a car stereo, the Tesla’s system sounds GREAT. That said, in this car, as well as my previous BMW 3-Series, Bluetooth audio basically sucks compared to a good wired connection. It’s merely for convenience. IMO of course.

FISHEV | May 18, 2019

Found this excellent explanation of the Model 3 audio and how to get the most out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEGbs5xZEU&feature=youtu.be