Forums

Sentry mode alert now what?

Sentry mode alert now what?

The car was in sentry mode which I noticed had alerted by the screen message when I got back. I dont see a special folder, or even a file that notes this on my flash drive. Is there a way to know which video it is referring too?

Passion2Fly | May 19, 2019

Did you get a Sentry Alarm triggered message? Did you look for a SavedFiles folder on your USB stick? In my case, the “Sentry Alarm” state fried my USB stick for some reason...

M3phan | May 19, 2019

Are you referring to the Event notification on the car screen with the green exclamation?

Hal Fisher | May 19, 2019

I did not get a text, only a screen notification. When a car pulled up on the side the video ended. I suspect that’s when it occurred. This occurred on a 64 gb SanDisk purchased off Amazon. I guess Sentry should be used by people to test their memory cards.

EVRider | May 19, 2019

I just started using Sentry Mode in my Model S, and I had one alert when I returned to my car a little while ago. When I looked at the video, apparently the alert was triggered when my wife and I walked up to the car. Even if a key is in range, Sentry Mode can't assume someone near the car is the owner. Guess they need to work on face recognition next. :-)

Note that an alert does not trigger a notification from the app -- only an alarm does that.

@Hal: When Sentry Mode records an event, it creates a folder with a timestamp name and stores the last 10 minutes or so of video in there. The video files also have timestamp names. Chances are whatever triggered the event will be on the video the with the timestamp just before the timestamp of the folder. For my event, that was the last video in the folder, because Sentry Mode turned when I unlocked the car.

M3phan | May 19, 2019

Ah yes. So to your title question, I wouldn’t do anything. Sounds like you had what I’ve had, a screen only event notification (not sent to phone), which is simply a heads up that the system started recording because someone walked by or a vehicle drove by, or mybe someone fiddle with a handle, etc.
I tested this at home by locking car with sentry active, left phone in house so as not to tip off car it was me, then walked by it. Then walked by again. When I got in car there was nothing on my phone but the screen noted 2 sentry events. Unless I get a notice on my phone, I don’t give much thought to the screen-only notification, except maybe a quick walk around the car.

M3phan | May 19, 2019

@EVRider, having my phone on me and walking up to the car, I get inconsistent results… Sometimes like you I get an event notification and other times for some reason I don’t.
But yes, if there isn’t an alarm triggered that sends a notification to the phone, these event notifications on the car screen only are letting us know that it was activated… Kind of helpful, I suppose

Thanks Evrider. Maybe it was just me walking up, but it showed the car in a 8 second video clip prior to the clip of me walking up. That clip must have been taken a long time before I came up because it didn’t show anyone getting out. I don’t see any scratches, but those are gonna happen. It was a good test so I’ll swap it out and make sure it works for next time.

EVRider | May 19, 2019

I have auto unlock disabled on my Model S, so I assume Sentry Mode remained active until I actually unlocked the car, even though the key fob was nearby.

Somehow I missed your comments M3phan. Oh, okay, so those are just informative, not full events. Still the video was really choppy for some reason on the left side, the right and front it was fine. I have a new flash drive in now to see if that has any issues.

Pepperidge | May 19, 2019

You triggered the event when you reached to your car, or someone just walk through near your car.
Unlocking before getting near will not trigger.

At least I realized To get a drive that has an app that allows viewing directly on my iphone, otherwise it would suck to get in a accident and not be able to show the other person or cop what happened.
USB Flash Drive 128GB [3-in-1] Compatible iPhone, USB 3.0 Adapter External Storage Memory Stick Adapter Expansion Compatible iPad/iPod/Mac/Android/PC/iOS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNX26ZS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4GH4CbXK2J0ZH