Forums

Those black triangle window trim pieces really do affect wind noise in cabin. Got mine fixed.

Those black triangle window trim pieces really do affect wind noise in cabin. Got mine fixed.

Those black plastic triangle trim pieces, next to the driver and passenger side mirrors, sometimes start coming detached at the top for some of us. This slightly poking out piece can catch wind as you drive and slightly increase wind/cabin noise, especially heard by me in the drivers seat. SC was able to fix by gluing the trim against an added polyurethane strip (this was a new piece they added). Now both trim pieces are tight to the car and the wind noise from that area has been noticeably reduced. Such a simple fix made a quality difference.

ODWms | June 17, 2019

Awesome, M3phan. Glad that word out for you. That has been an issue for some M3 drivers.Thanks for sharing with us!

wiscy67 | June 17, 2019

We'll see what the SC came up with to address my passenger side trim piece when I get my car back this week - hopefully.

alisse | June 18, 2019

I'm having a mobile technician fix mine on Monday.

M3phan | June 18, 2019

Thumbs up!

Ron.Olsberg | June 18, 2019

Both of my mirrors had the black triangle sticking out one almost a 1/4 inch. The Tesla ranger replaced both mirrors he thought it was a newer design to fix the problem. Turns out the design had not changed so replacing the entire mirror was probably not necessary. When he was installing the replacement mirrors, I noticed that when he tightened the top bolt the top edge of the triangle started to protrude out. I asked him to place a few plastic washers behind the plastic piece to keep the plastic from flexing when he tightened the top bolt. So far it appears to have worked. BTW, the mirrors where replaced about six months back.

Bated Breath | June 18, 2019

The black triangle is called "side mirror applique". Mine were sticking out so much they could not be fixed with adhesive. The SC replaced both of my entire side mirror asseblies. I noticed a significant reduction in wind noise.

My RWD LR is over 1 year old.

roger.klurfeld | June 18, 2019

The two triangles separated from my car (25xxx) too. The service center replaced both and said they were newly designed to keep them tight.

NEKEV | June 18, 2019

Were all of these warrantied fixes or did they cost you?

M3phan | June 18, 2019

@Ron.Olsberg, interesting! Any noise reduction you notice?

@Bated Breath, my LR RWD is a year old, I think this was maybe an issue in earlier hikes but has been remedied on newer builds.

@roger.klurfeld, my vin is close to your 26,xxx

M3phan | June 18, 2019

@NEKEV, warranttee, free

Lorenzryanc | June 18, 2019

I asked to have mine fixed and they said swapping with new mirrors probably wouldn't fix the issue and might make it worse since mine aren't to bad. Has anyone tried a dab of superglue? I've been very tempted but was hoping for some feedback. Vin 7400.

They're not too bad, but anything easy to reduce wind noise is appreciated :D

M3phan | June 18, 2019

When I mentioned to the service center about gluing it down myself, they said that’s also an option, just make sure you choose adhesive that doesn’t corrode rubber or plastiC. Before having the service center address it as part of a larger visit, I had purchased some 3M auto tape for the job. In the end, when they re-adhered my appliqués, they didn’t just stick them to the existing sub layer, but added an extra piece of polyurethane trim underneath it. They pointed that out to me, sais it made the appliqué sit tighter to the vehicle window.

Ron.Olsberg | June 18, 2019

@M3phan

I never paid that much attention to the wind noise because I crank the sound system way more than I probably should. I made a trip with my wife after the replacement, with the sound system at a much lower volume level/off, and did not hear excessive wind noise due to the mirrors.

Regards, Ron

kallian | June 18, 2019

I glued mine flush to the panel. And yes they created massive wind noise.
Avoiding the SC delays. Still have wind noise but at 60+ instead of 30.

Kary993 | June 18, 2019

Personally, we found after the road trip this past weekend that tire noise was a bigger factor depending upon the freeway surface and how new/old the surface was. Newly smooth freeway eliminated the noise almost entirely as compared to the concrete grooved freeway surfaces.

httran26 | June 18, 2019

I used black tape and taped it right on the edge. You can't even tell it is there. Been working fine for almost a year now.

M3phan | June 18, 2019

@Ron.Olsberg, awesome sound system! Great way indeed to mitigate minor cabin noise. ; )

M3phan | June 18, 2019

@Kary993, totally agree. We have a newer toll road here I love driving on, it’s so smooth and quiet and groove free. Wish all roads were that good.

kevin_rf | June 19, 2019

You should try 190 in MA right now. They have stripped the surface off of it in some sections for resurfacing. It's so loud you can't even hear the radio cranked to 11 on it.

kcheng | June 19, 2019

If you think the triangles are causing wind noise, tape the leading edge with some painter's tape, and test it.

M3phan | June 19, 2019

@kcheng, of the windshield?

kevin_rf | June 19, 2019

Was on a newly repaved highway today. I was amazed how little the wind noise was compared to the tire noise I am use to.

roger.klurfeld | June 20, 2019

Most of the noise I have at speed seems to be coming directly from the tires, and the pavement makes a big difference.Bridgestone is coming out with a new noise reducing tire. But I'm going to live with it until I need new ones.

alisse | June 24, 2019

My mobile tech just left -- the protruding applique triangles being one of my fix requests. He showed me how they clip in with a spare mirror part he had and explained that some models came off the line not fully clipped in, which explained a lot. Mine were, but were also protruding out about .25 to ..5 inches. He said he'd seen a lot worse and that mine were not too bad, actually. He admitted it was not a great design.

He was a trooper though and offered to tack it down with some double-sided 3M tape. Can't say how long it will hold, but it's perfectly flush now. Happy for the moment at least.

vmulla | June 24, 2019

@alisse, or anyone else with a fixed triangle peice,
Would you mind posting a pic? Thanks

lilbean | June 24, 2019

Is the noise a whistling sound?

deezeela | June 24, 2019

thanks for the post, I just ordered mobile service to fix mine this Friday

alisse | June 24, 2019

Here's before (top) and after (bottom)., I didn't do a great job with the before (bad lighting) but you can see the bottom row is no longer beyond the pillar. Should be a lot quieter now.

https://i.imgur.com/1F5yQZl.jpg

M3phan | June 24, 2019

Yep, mine looked like yours before, perhaps poking out a bit more. And mine are now flush and tight to the car.

The sound was not a whistle; just noticed wind noise in general at the sides, and now it is gone. I just now Jane wind noise over the top, but that’s ok. I haven’t heard those wind reduction kits being all that effective. Turn the music to “11”.

M3phan | June 24, 2019

Jane=have

vmulla | June 24, 2019

Thank you. Looks like they're not flat/flush yet, but positioned within the recess enough to avoid the wind noise. Thanks.

wiboater4 | June 24, 2019

Just checked mine and the passenger side bows out at the top on the last inch and a half . I'll try slipping some tape in there or adhesive. Drivers side is out a little at the top but not as bad. Thanks for the heads up I play the stereo pretty loud but passengers probably heard noise on that side.

TexasBob | June 24, 2019

thanks for the tip. ours is the same. hopefully the double sided tape holds

Hugues1965 | June 24, 2019

Mmm..first time i spot a defect, albeit very small, on this car. My driver side is nice and flush, but passenger side protrudes a little and rubber gasket is buckling. Not sure double sided tape will fix it but I'll try.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bikZkzwStc7pmKkj8

jim0266 | June 26, 2019

My passenger triangle and rubber gasket looks identical to @Hugues1965. VIN 3242xx 4/19 build.

Had pretty noticeable wind noise on passenger side. Ranger adjusted the gaskets on the outside B Pillar which helped. He was not able to address the triangle. Wind noise is down after that but not still as quiet as it seems on the driver side.

Even taping over the black triangle does not reduce the noise further. Will have SC or ranger take a look.