Forums

Tesla Denying Service

Tesla Denying Service

I recently purchased a Used 2017 Tesla Model S from a dealership. In order for them to transfer the car under my name, they need a registration, which the DMV takes a while to get that to me and on top of that, Tesla Support will take time to transfer as well. Tesla Service is saying they can't service my car until the transfer of ownership is complete. I cant wait a month since there are several issues with the car and its still covered under warranty. Anyone else experience this? Super frustrating.

AERODYNE | July 9, 2019

Sounds like the problem is the Dealership, not Tesla's...

rxlawdude | July 9, 2019

"Dealership?"

You mean a non-Tesla retailer? Or was this a CPO from Tesla?

TeslaTap.com | July 9, 2019

Unless you are near the 50K mileage limit, you've still got a couple of years on the warranty. The fact Tesla will not service a stolen car (i.e. no registration) seems like a smart plan and helps reduce the desirability to steal a Tesla.

It may also depend on your state on how transfer of ownership is handled. Seems if you go into your local DMV with the paperwork from a dealer, it could be handled almost immediately. Different states may work differently, so hard to say what you can do to speed it up.

Bighorn | July 9, 2019

Common scenario with third party sales.

rishabh0428 | July 9, 2019

I have the temporary registration. The permanent one comes in from the DMV in a couple of weeks. It was bought at a BMW dealership in California. Either way, isn't the warranty supposed to be tied to the car? If I show them the registration is under my name, why would it matter?

steveg1701 | July 9, 2019

I got my car transferred to my tesla account about a week after I got it, all I needed was my temporary registration and drivers license as I recall

rxlawdude | July 9, 2019

I would agree with @rish that once he produces clear evidence of ownership, Tesla cannot deny warranty repairs legally.

Getting the account and app set up, there's no law that says it has to occur in a certain timeframe, but that does not excuse Tesla from warranty obligations. I'd be upset, too.

dgibson2 | July 9, 2019

My experience has been that Tesla service would not even look at my car until the car was transferred to my Tesla account.

rxlawdude | July 9, 2019

@dgibson, I'm pretty sure this is not a very common situation, but no policy set by Tesla trumps the law. They simply cannot blow you off for warranty repairs if you have the official registration documents.

But we know that each Service Center has different answers to the same question, so it's a matter of finding someone there with both authority and a bit of common sense.

rishabh0428 | July 9, 2019

@steveg1701- they accepted the temp registration? I was told they can’t accept that.

steveg1701 | July 9, 2019

like rxlaw just said, you get different answers depending on who you talk to! All I can do is relate my experience, YMMV

mickeymouse | July 10, 2019

Just plain Goofy.

AZGLFR | July 10, 2019

Tempe Arizona service center accepted my temp registration and drivers license last year and even made recommendations for some settings in the car . They were a great help to a new owner ...

b8schris | July 10, 2019

@azglfr I love the people at the Tempe Service center, but hate that they got rid of the people inside.. now you can't get in touch with anyone when your car is in service, everything happens via text. it's a mess

rishabh0428 | July 10, 2019

My issues happened at the Santa Clara Service Center in California