Forums

Sentry mode

Sentry mode

Anyone having issues with sentry mode showing active but not turning on on the screen when walking around the car since update 2019.4.4?

Techy James | July 31, 2019

Nope, and still get the activities count if anyone walked by car as well.

TeslaTap.com | July 31, 2019

@2019.4.4 is about 5 months ago. Did you mean 24.4 which is quite recent? My Sentry mode still works fine. Any chance you are testing at home and turned on the option to auto-disable it at home?

pfrusher | July 31, 2019

I'm having a number of issues with Sentry Mode. Sentry mode is enabled with home address disabled. Car is parked at airport with Sentry Mode enabled, no thumb drive installed and car cover over the vehicle. None of the available mobile apps are turning off Sentry Mode remotely. When disabling Sentry Mode remotely, Sentry Mode is automatically enabled within 3 minutes after disabling. I have added the current location of the vehicle as a home address but that hasn't worked. Tesla chat says they will have engineering team address the situation but still no assistance after 36 hours and battery draining quickly. Will be dead unless the car disables the Sentry Mode when battery reached 20%.

TeslaTap.com | July 31, 2019

@pfrusher - Sounds like a bug. I didn't even know you could disable Sentry mode from the app. Nice (if works).

Sounds like any fix Tesla has will require a new version. Hopefully it will turn off at 20%.

Another thought - if you turn it off via the app, perhaps it turns back on when you reconnect to the car via the app. You might try noting the range, then turning Sentry off for 8 hours, check back and see if the range went down by 8 or so miles (meaning it didn't stay off). Perhaps the bug is each time you connect via the app, it turns back on. So not connecting remotely may keep it off.

pfrusher | July 31, 2019

I wondered this too but we also tried setting location as a favorite or safe place so it wouldn't activate and still does. We ended up asking someone to take our extra fob from home and drive to the airport lot and deactivate Sentry Mode directly from the car itself. It remained off after that. There is a bug somewhere that we can only hope that Tesla works out. We observed the same behavior from all of the third party Tesla apps with Sentry Mode controls as well. Sentry Mode would turn off and then on again within three minutes. Tesla told us that the Tesla app is supposed to have "Smart Sentry Mode" which allows you to set new "safe locations" remotely so you could set the cars current location as a safe location. However. there is no such feature on the latest version of the Tesla app. It is possible to set safe locations remotely on the third party app Stats for Tesla for Apple devices only. It's a great app. More data and settings than the Tesla app. However, it had the same issue when trying to disable Sentry Mode. We will have to do some more troubleshooting when we get home. The obvious lesson learned so far is don't leave Sentry Mode on with a car cover on car. Of course that makes sense but we thought we would be able to disable Sentry Mode remotely.

SCCRENDO | July 31, 2019

It has been funky with me. Lots of phantom reports. Since 24.4 when I trigger car cooling remotely the alarm goes off. Also the dashcam recorder is funky. Error message "write speed too slow".

nukequazar | July 31, 2019

I thought it wasn't turning the screen notice on when I walk around because I have the fob in my pocket so it knows it's me.

EVRider | August 1, 2019

@nukequazar: I’ve managed to generate Sentry Mode events in my Model S even with the fob, so I don’t think the fob prevents them.

sabbia | August 1, 2019

As of 8/1/19 I have 2019.24.4 and Sentry Mode is missing from the owner's manual.

ramessler | August 1, 2019

Thanks TeslaTap I did mean 24.4. It does not activate when I’m home because I have the home disabled. I do get the activities count show up on my screen when I get back in the car(when not at home) but the screen never comes on when Sentry Mode is activated.

EVRider | August 2, 2019

@sabbia: Are you talking about the manual on the touchscreen? The PDF version of the manual for both Model S and 3 (identified as 2019.16.11) mention Sentry Mode.

sabbia | August 2, 2019

@EVRider. Yes, I meant the manual on the touchscreen. There is a hyperlink to Sentry Mode, but it goes to a blank page.

2019.24.4 Release Notes said there was an improvement to the on-screen owner's manual. Maybe that new release has a bug.

nishanturo | August 7, 2019

check this out- these two guys smashed my windows and took my computer bag, cops are on it
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o8jql54bgrxises/AAC9iocE7LhwFWWCA5KKTTU1a?dl=0

EVRider | August 7, 2019

@sabbia: Is Sentry Mode showing up for you in the manual on the touchscreen? I checked in my car after your previous reply and it was there (I think in a section called Security).

David.A.Ewert | August 11, 2019

I'm also having a couple of issues with Sentry Mode.
First, the car doesn't recognize when it's 'home', even though the home address is programmed into the car. I went to the garage after not driving the car for a few days to find the battery at 20% (was 80%).
Secondly, after initial success with testing video recording - when the car reports a 'Sentry Mode Event' and I put the flash drive into my computer to see the video - it has recorded gigabytes of unreadable files. MP4 Files are listed in 'recent events' folder, but there is no video when you click on the file. This is intermittent. Sometimes it records video perfectly.
When someone threw their car door into the side of my Tesla - making a big dent - I put the flash drive into my computer to see if the perpetrator's license plate was caught on video... but there was no video recording.
Basically Sentry Mode is unreliable (at least on my car) until all of the bugs are worked out.

EVRider | August 12, 2019

@David: You need to pause recording and wait 10-20 seconds before removing the USB, otherwise the files can get corrupted. Does Sentry Mode always turn on when you’re home, and if so, did you actually turn on the feature that disables Sentry Mode at home? It isn’t automatic.

Techy James | August 12, 2019

@pfrusher, what firmware version are you using. I have V2019.28.2 and not having any issues enabling/disabling Sentry Mode. Only issue I could think of that would prevent remote access not being able to connect to car. Although if your seeing battery status updates when you open app that would rule that out. As for the ability to set safe locations from the APP, I know that is not available on my version of the app on my phone.

@David.A.Ewert Question, are you using USB Flash Drive, or USB SSD or USB HDD. I tested USB HDD that was USB 2 & 3 Compliant, and I noticed sometimes with the HDD version, that sometimes the did wouldn't actually shutdown even after stopping the DashCam but pressing icon till the Grey Circle appeared replacing the red active Circle.

Techy James | August 12, 2019

@pfrusher, what firmware version are you using. I have V2019.28.2 and not having any issues enabling/disabling Sentry Mode. Only issue I could think of that would prevent remote access not being able to connect to car. Although if your seeing battery status updates when you open app that would rule that out. As for the ability to set safe locations from the APP, I know that is not available on my version of the app on my phone.

@David.A.Ewert Question, are you using USB Flash Drive, or USB SSD or USB HDD. I tested USB HDD that was USB 2 & 3 Compliant, and I noticed sometimes with the HDD version, that sometimes the did wouldn't actually shutdown even after stopping the DashCam but pressing icon till the Grey Circle appeared replacing the red active Circle. This resulted in corrupt files in the recent, but saved folder was fine.

sabbia | August 12, 2019

@EVRider. Thanks for the info and apologies for my (almost) false alarm. My owner's manual DOES have Sentry Mode and I can find it by using "Search".

On the other hand, there is a link to Sentry Mode in the Index of Terms. That link does not work. I did find some of the information I was looking for in the online .pdf.

I haven't found anything about the two subfolders under TESLACAM (RecentClips and SavedClips). Based on the comments here, it seems that some of us will have to wait for DASHCAM to settle down before we can use it most effectively.

EVRider | August 12, 2019

@sabbia: You're right, there's nothing in the manual about the SavedClips and RecentClips folders, but people here have figured it out. RecentClips contains dashcam video that you haven't explicitly saved, and SavedClips contains saved dashcam video and video for Sentry Mode events.

sabbia | August 14, 2019

@EV. I figured it had to be something like that. Thanks!

dlarose1957 | August 15, 2019

I have exactly the same issue as ramessler.

de_el84 | September 3, 2019

Mine does not show up on the screen as well, and just before this started happening i would get a too slow write speed message that seemed to have fixed it self but still no recording sign on screen while sentry mode activated.

TeslaTap.com | September 3, 2019

@de_el84 - Have you checked if the drive is full? If using a tiny drive like 32 GB, it will fill in a few days and then stop recording. Most find they need at least 128 GB or so, and even then, need to clear it every couple of weeks. Here's my list of recommended drives: https://teslatap.com/articles/usb-flash-drives-for-tesla-dashcam/

I now recommend 128 GB high-endurance micro SD cards with an adapter. They have the temperature range to work in the cabin at 150F+. Remember the cabin can get quite hot in the sun while parked.