Forums

Performance Model 3 with 18" wheels

Performance Model 3 with 18" wheels

Can a Performance Model 3 with 18" wheels be ordered?
Would there be any discount in price?

Question is for a model Y preorder.

Thanks in advance.

s_wilcox63 | August 6, 2019

I don't know how the Y will work. For the Model 3 the last time I was in for service about 2 weeks ago they mostly had Performance Model 3s with the 18 inch wheels on the lot. They were $3k more than the dual motor.

jc07 | August 6, 2019

s_wilcox63 Do these Performance Model 3's have all the P features other than 18" wheels instead of 20"?

CS96 | August 6, 2019

for the performance red brake calipers they require the 20's so thats one missing item.

model3AZ42 | August 6, 2019

Jc07. It’s a P car minus 20 inch rims, larger brakes, lowered suspension, and spoiler. They do have track mode and same speed.

lechner | August 7, 2019

same speed is interesting, because in Europe they are advertised with 262 km/h topspeed (163 mph)
but you proberbly will not get it unlocked, (because of the missig spoiler, and brakes?)

terry.k.morrow | August 7, 2019

FWIW @CS96, 18s will fit a performance model with bigger brakes. Tire rack and discount tire both have options that fit over the calipers. I put 18 winters and wheels on my P3D+ last winter. Worked great and looked great.

Bighorn | August 7, 2019

A Model 3 with 19” wheels and Performance acceleration can be ordered. You’re describing the original Stealth model which is no longer offered.

lbowroom | August 7, 2019

"but you proberbly will not get it unlocked, (because of the missig spoiler, and brakes?)"

That is incorrect. The top speed is the 162mph regardless of spoiler and brakes.

rxlawdude | August 7, 2019

@big, you could order 18" aero wheels for the M3 AWD with P, but that option is now gone from the website.

Techy James | August 7, 2019

On the website you can't order the P version without the Upgraded brakes and Spoiler, but I have heard you can do a call in or go to sales floor and order an off the books version that has the 18" and normal brakes. I also don't think that version comes with track mode either, but it does have higher top speed and a faster 0-60.

jimglas | August 7, 2019

P3D- does come with track mode
At least mine does

chrisboylan | August 12, 2019

There have been many reports of inventory Model 3s with the Performance spec and 18" wheels being available at some Tesla stores, at a nominal price increase over AWD. This so-called "P3D-" does have track mode. You can add the spoiler and aluminum pedals at an additional cost. But the larger 20" wheels and brakes are not something that can be added later.

ODWms | August 12, 2019

Do we know if the PD3- also has the lowered suspension?

lbowroom | August 12, 2019

It does not

Techy James | August 12, 2019

What your referring to was the previous Stealth Performance model. It was original option without appearance package, and for a short while an off the books order, but don't think you can get it on M3 anymore. If the Model Y will have a similar option is unknown, but would be nice to have. All the fun of Performance without all the worry about those large rims being damaged on local poor roads in Northern Ohio.

Techy - Tesla is selling it again in the US. Several reports of it available in stock at delivery centers now.

andrewmkam | August 12, 2019

I just took delivery on one of these 'stealth' P3D. It does not come with:
- Larger 20" performance wheels
- Upgraded Brakes
- CF Spoiler
- Aluminum pedals

It does come with:
- Performance software + battery + dual motor
- All Performance badging

Let me know if you have any questions. I was able to order one off of existing inventory with the help of my DS, I did not configure this online.

shank15217 | August 12, 2019

Here's the issue with P3D-, why? Just get a regular P3D and go to Tsportline and get their 18inch wheel set with tires. It costs like $2500 and you can save your very good but very fragile 20inch set for the track or even sell them for a small sum.

alienranch | August 12, 2019

Anybody heard what the 0-60 times are for the Long Range Performance (stealth performance)? Won't be the 3.2 the Performance has as tires make a big difference and the 18's are designed to minimize rolling resistance, not be sticky like the summer tires on the Performance.

beaver | August 12, 2019

@ alienranch the 0-60 times for P3+ and P3- are the same according to what I have seen in the dragy app (3.2 sec). The 19 or 20" wheels don't actually help acceleration at all, the 18s do just fine.

alienranch | August 12, 2019

@beaver - all my high performance vehicles (Corvettes, Vipers and GT-R) have a marked difference between high performance tires and all-season tires (except the viper which only has high performance since they're 355's). The tires that come with the aero wheel are far from sticky and designed to reduce rolling resistance. There's no way they should equal the cornering or acceleration performance of the tires on the Performance model. May not be a huge difference, but there has to be degradation at the grip limit.

95dawg | August 12, 2019

Both 18s and 20s are 235s. Same width tires.

rxlawdude | August 12, 2019

Ask a question, get an answer, ignore it, and assert the answer to one's own question.

Why is it always the ones that name drop all the expensive toys they have?

95dawg | August 12, 2019

Yes, 20s should theoretically perform better than 18s, but there are couple factors I think we should consider, with everything being equal except for wheel diameter:

- EV motor's "instant torque" also means instant optimum torque when mated with well programmed traction/launch control. Motor can be modulated so much faster than mechanical ICE. I think that nullifies the benefits of high performance street tires vs. all season street tires, for straight line performance. Especially when stock 18s and 20s have same width.

- I'm going to assume M3 235/35-20 wheel/tire combo has higher unsprung weight than M3 235/45-18. If so, it could negatively impact performance.

- Slap on high performance street tires on the 18s, I imagine it could actually perform better than 20s in certain situations. The sidewall height diff is not that much, 45 vs 35. Sure, it makes difference on a track, but for street driving and light-to-light sprints, I think 18s would be just fine. Besides, if you are going to track your M3, you want ultralight wheels with fatter shoes.

95dawg | August 12, 2019

That is, "....everything being equal except for wheel diameter and tire compound"

ST70 | August 12, 2019

how many discussions do we have to have on this???.....If only there was a way to search the forums....crap I went there...

The car’s acceleration isn’t traction limited, so no difference in acceleration with sticker tires. Lateral acceleration is a different story, but I haven’t seen any numbers published. Wheel diameter has nothing to do with it.

alienranch | August 13, 2019

A few points:
- As some have correctly stated, wheel diameter has nothing to do with the question about performance tires. Diameter is irrelevant except in regards to unsprung mass which has a substantial impact on pretty much everything. In fact (also noted above), all things being equal, 18's weigh less than 20's and with the same compound tire will outperform the 20's on the strip. The question has nothing to do with wheel size, and everything to do with the stock 18 tires vs stock 20 tires.
- @rxlawdude, you're an idiot. Not name dropping "expensive toys" to just drop names, but rather to directly relate my experience with my own cars using all season tires vs performance tires. I guess I could blank out the names of the cars to appease you next time.

If the car isn't pushing the grip limits of tire (which is typically what happens with all the nannies keeping the wheels from spinning), then the 0-60 times probably won't change. This isn't due to the tires, but rather that software is holding it back irrespective of wheel slip. My guess is that this isn't the case as some have noted VBOX drops of roughly .1-.2 seconds on Performance models when moving from stock tires to a harder compound for all season driving. That implies the car is accelerating to the grip limits as should be expected. I'm still on my original Performance model tires so I can't speak to this first hand. The compound on the stock 18 tires is designed for efficiency and not performance. If the car is indeed accelerating to its traction limits, hard compounds don't perform as well as softer compounds, any more than winter tires will perform over summer tires.

This has nothing to do with Teslas and everything to do with tires (not wheel diameter). It's possible the lower grip tires are offset by the reduced unsprung weight. Just curious if anybody had heard of tests being done (and accelerometers in phone apps aren't precise enough).

beaver | September 19, 2019

Fingers crossed I can get a new stealth perfwncs model 3 by end of the month.

Bated Breath | September 19, 2019

Im scheduled to pick up mine Saturday, September 28th. It is red and has the 19" alloy wheels and they reduced the price by $3,500 so I get both upgrades for free.

I am trading in a 2018 RWD LR if I don't sell it to a private party within the next week.

beaver | September 19, 2019

@Bated Breath sounds great, good luck. I have a feeling I won’t get it but I am trying. The AWD is a great car anyways, they all are

Sk55 | September 21, 2019

@Bated breath, what is the cost difference with trade in, how much trade in value is the 2018 LR RWD. I am thinking about doing the same thing

beaver | September 21, 2019

I was matched to a stealth performance P3- with 19” wheels. I wanted the 18s but haven’t been able to find them and they won’t switch or comp the wheels

Bighorn | September 21, 2019

I think the 18s were only a thing in 2018 before the PUP got rolled in. I've only heard of 19s on this latest offer.

Bated Breath | September 22, 2019

Sk55: The difference is $13,588; however I received $2,000 for "diminished value" after an accident in June so I consider this to be an $11,588 upgrade. All prices are all-inclusive.

Resist | September 23, 2019

I test drove a Stealth Performance Model 3 with the 19" wheels, the acceleration was amazing. But I want the 18" wheel Stealth, they did find one out of state which would mean there would be no way to get it before next month, so I'd lose out on the 2 years of free Supercharging. Then when the dug further, they discover it was already sold. Since I was planning on trading in my 2018 AWD LR 18" Aerowheel Model 3, I asked if we could just swap out the tires but they said no. Guess I'm stuck with my Model 3 for a while longer.

sheldon.mike1010 | September 24, 2019

Just followed a Tesla hauling truck filled with Model 3's. It was heading to a storage yard near the Buena Park, CA Tesla store. Several other full car haulers were there, also full of Model 3's.
FYI, not one single 18" Aero wheel in the bunch.

Resist | September 24, 2019

Seems like Tesla is forcing us to buy Model 3's with wheel/tire combinations that are more prone to road damage. I prefer beefy tires and the protection from potholes they provide.

dmunjal | September 24, 2019

I picked up a P3D- last month and got the 18s. If anyone who got the 19s and wants to swap and is in Norcal and wants to swap plus take some cash, let me know.

ODWms | September 25, 2019

As is the case with most things, the "prettier" option is the most prone to damage. My area isn't pothole prone, so there's that item of comfort. I personally love the looks of the car with 19s/20s, and am prepared for the risk/wouldn't have the car any other way.

gballant4570 | September 25, 2019

Different wheel options are also less efficient. Of course I get that you don't sell your LR RWD and buy a P to gain efficiency.... but it enters into my interest in a P- rather than full P. But enjoy that rascal when you get it!

willculb1 | September 28, 2019

Well I’m annoyed... Ordered a “stealth” model on August 15th, received a call a week ago matching me to one with 19 inch wheels ($1500 cheaper per it being a slightly used test drive model), declined the offer because I wanted me them 18’s. Thought it over and called back next day, no answer, left vm, didn’t receive a call back, figured “oh well, at least I’ll get the factory fresh with the 18’s”.

2 days ago I receive another call; they say Tesla is no longer making the “stealth” variant of the M3 and I would either have to downgrade to the non performance or upgrade to the full performance with 20’s. He crunched numbers and the price difference for full performance was $6000 more than what I would have paid for the “stealth” version. No real compensation was offered, other than the 2 years free supercharging if I got one before the end of the month (did the math, not really worth paying extra 6k). I asked if they could try to find me one with the 19’s, no luck (not sure how hard he looked, as I was only on hold for approximately 15 seconds). I ended up canceling my order entirely. Really wish I had just taken the slightly used one with 19’s! Altogether would have saved me $7500, could’ve sold the 19’s and bought 18’s used as well, pushing the savings to $8k+.

How do they take a deposit for an order and then just take it off the menu? Shouldn’t they be fulfilling all orders that were placed before they took it off the menu? If I go to a restaurant 15 minutes before they close, and they decide to seat me, it’s generally expected that they will serve me even after the doors close. “Heyyy welcome to Applebee’s, can I get you started with some drinks? Oh wait our front doors just closed... GET THE F$&@ OUT!!!”

After test driving a performance version, I can’t see myself ever being truly happy with a car that does 0-60 in only 4.4 seconds. Every time I’d hit the accelerator, I would think what could have been... Guess I’ll wait and see if they ever decide to bring the stealth version back.

beaver | September 28, 2019

@willculb1

I read on TMC forum that at least as if Wednesday there were several stealth performance cars available still.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/m3p.159720/page-70#post-4054973

Zakynthos | September 30, 2019

I wish one of these Stealth P3+'s were available back when I bought my AWD. I would have easily paid the $3k to get one.

mth | October 2, 2019

FWIW, I just asked my Tesla service tech about wheels for my 2019 model 3 performance which has the larger brakes, and he specifically told me that the 18" and 19" wheels in the Tesla store will NOT fit my car. I've seen 18" and 19" wheels on tirerack.com and tsportline.com which are guaranteed to fit it though. Planning to get a set of 18" from one of them with some winter tires to use this winter.