Forums

Netflix and Hulu over LTE?

Netflix and Hulu over LTE?

I ordered my car on day 3 and took delivery over a year ago. I remember the cars had unlimited internet, but they changed that after about a year. I saw a video of some people streaming Netflix over LTE, should this be enabled for the early adopters?

majassow | October 1, 2019

Don't know about Netflix and Hulu, but I just did YouTube over LTE in the theater tab. I have the unlimited LTE plan (in case that makes a difference)

LikeLightning | October 1, 2019

I believe that so far they've pushed it through only for those who have FSD (regardless of when you purchased the car).

calvin940 | October 1, 2019

Netflix works on LTE for me currently.

Hulu disappeared from the interface for me but maybe thats because I am in Canada ? It was there initially even after the reboot but then went away.

Passion2Fly | October 1, 2019

Netflix and Hulu work over LTE for now!

johnmann | October 1, 2019

In the release notes for Tesla Theater it says, "Note: We have temporarily enabled the ability to stream videos over cell."

terminator9 | October 1, 2019

I don't have FSD, but all three things work over LTE. People are unlikely to use this sitting on their driveway after the initial wow factor passes. The most common use case is during Supercharging and outside the house where there likely won't be WiFi so I won't be surprised if it says like this in future.

M3BlueGeorgia | October 1, 2019

It would seem foolish of Tesla to allow video streaming over LTE on the cars.
Expensive use of bandwidth that they aren't charging you to use.

Tesla2018 | October 1, 2019

Do you have to already subscribe to Netflixto get it to work, or does it show up like the streaming radio stations and you click on it and see a list of shows you want to watch?

-TheJohn- | October 1, 2019

I've not gone so far as to set it up but the icon leads you to the Netflix setup page so I assume you'd need to be a subscriber and no it has no shows for you to watch as a non-sub.

nvineeth040new | October 1, 2019

how long is the LTE free on Model 3s....anyone know?

paul_doree | October 2, 2019

nvineeth040new | October 1, 2019
how long is the LTE free on Model 3s....anyone know?

I think it's the first year but perhaps someone else can confirm? I live in the UK and also need to know what happens after the year expires e.g. what level of charges are there.

wiboater4 | October 2, 2019

You do have to have a subscription to Netflix to sign in. There is a free trial period though. I have used it twice when I had to wait for people to show up that I was meeting someplace. I watched a comedian. It works great over LTE. The LTE even worked in an area where my cell phone gets only one bar.

SomeGuy60565 | October 2, 2019

They're going to charge $100/year for LTE/premium connectivity after the first year, aren't they?

leo33 | October 2, 2019

@SomeGuy That is what many want and have asked for, and Tesla has said that they will eventually charge something in that ballpark for it. It's not clear if it will be exactly $100, or if it will begin exactly after one year.

Switchmon | October 2, 2019

If you read the release notes it states that Tesla theater using LTE is enabled temporarily. We may have to go back to WiFi or a hot spot if that's the case.

douger1la | October 4, 2019

Looks like this was resolved with another update i received after v10. I did put in a case with Tesla, not sure if that affected anything

bhpatel_79 | December 8, 2019

I purchased model 3 standard range RWD on 28th June this year so do I will get lifetime free internet thru tesla to stream youtube and stuff or not ?

sachinkhanna2134 | December 9, 2019

I don't have FSD, but all three things work over LTE. People are unlikely to use this sitting on their driveway after the initial wow factor passes. The most common use case is during Supercharging and outside the house where there likely won't be WiFi so I won't be surprised if it says like this in future.

Sachin - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLowOYyb3nlgEUBYJFseKsQ

bradbomb | December 9, 2019

@bhpatel_79 You do not. The link is very clear. The cutoff is June 20th, 2018 (not 2019). The only models available to order by that point was largely the LR RWD and then right before the cutoff, the LR AWD and LR Performance were available.

If you have a MR RWD or the SR/SR+, you would never have gotten lifetime premium connectivity.

calvin940 | December 9, 2019

June 30th, 2018. Not June 20th, 2018

bradbomb | December 9, 2019

Damn it, now I made a typo I can't fix...

Kary993 | December 9, 2019

I have FSD and last night while waiting in the car watched Netflix over LTE just fine.

dangerl7e | December 9, 2019

They just gave a free month of premium connectivity trial for everyone on SR/+. Everything should work now on LTE unlimited.

rios.eva.er | December 20, 2019

Got the 2020 Model S, found Spotify and Caraoke but I cannot find Hulu and Netflix. How do I install them? Help please. Thanks.

EVRider | December 21, 2019

Nothing to install. Just select the app launcher at the bottom of the screen and select the Theater option.

Sarah R | December 21, 2019

I got a free Hulu account from my cellphone provider (not AT&T). I used the same credentials to log into Hulu on my M3 over AT&T LTE. Watched Bumblebee. Worked great.