Forums

The next gold mine for Tesla and other electric vehicles

The next gold mine for Tesla and other electric vehicles

Opinion: This could be the next gold mine for Tesla and other electric vehicles
By Vitaliy Katsenelson
Published: Oct 2, 2019 5:20 a.m. ET

When people think about charging electric cars, the first thought that comes to mind is: “So you are going to put charging stations at gas stations. There will be long lines of people waiting to charge their cars, since it takes much longer to charge an electric car than to fill a car with gas. It will never work.”

Capitalism will take care of building out the charging infrastructure. My prediction: At some point there will be a charging-station mini-bubble as companies raise capital and do a land grab. Grocery stores will use charging stations to attract customers. Charging stations will be in all parking lots, from restaurants to office buildings. Electric vehicle (EV) charging will be a gold rush, while gas stations will be just another relic of a bygone age, like phone booths and cassette tapes. Future EV batteries will have greater range, last longer, and charge faster.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-could-be-the-next-gold-mine-for-t...

andy.connor.e | October 2, 2019

yep, there are just not enough EV drivers yet.

RedShift | October 2, 2019

That’s the right time- when it’s nascent and expected growth is exponential.

TranzNDance | October 2, 2019

A lot of gas stations are located where people do not want to be since people generally do not want to breathe in fumes for hours a day. I think residential places are going to install charging stations to remain competitive as people move to EV. It would be like having broadband internet connection or not having it.

SamO | October 2, 2019

"Capitalism will take care of" claims should be greeted with healthy skepticism.

But in this case, Tesla has already "taken care of" this with their network of Destination, City, Supercharging and V3.

Any company that wants to emulate or join is free to do so. It makes sense for retailers to draw in customers with "free" charging in exchange for purchase at their establishment.

Welcome to 2012, when Tesla announced the Supercharging Network.

Tesla is the only one taking care of this. Tesla knows they need faster charging. No one wants to wait 30+ minutes to charge when they can fill their gas tank in 1 minute. Longer charging times are fine for charging at work or long duration parking like airports and hotels. Shopping is a very good place to put them too, but they would need to be substantially fast as you dont spend more than an hour inside the store. For most people, away from home will be their primary way to charge unless apartments/HOAs start getting on board with these.

When i was still in my apartment, i went to my management office and asked them about considering getting some chargers installed by their clubhouse. They asked me who would pay for the electricity and i told them you can just charge per usage like everyone else does. They would only be paying for the installation. My feeling is that people are not getting on board because they are extremely uneducated on the topic.

rxlawdude | October 2, 2019

"Tesla is the only one taking care of this. Tesla knows they need faster charging."

In their new vehicles. Those with cars >3 years old can pound sand as Tesla intentionally throttles charging and capacity.

Older vehicles cant handle faster charging speeds thats why they would throttle right?

jordanrichard | October 2, 2019

rxlawdude, is it not possible that there may be a good reason for the throttle back? People still seem to forget that Tesla is still learning from all of the cars on the road, particularly those that have high miles. Perhaps there is a something they see in the data that caused them to tweak things. Just as they recently did by getting rid of the recommended annual services.

As for capacity, my 2014 S85 has only loss 5% over these years and 169,000 miles. I have not seen an increase in the loss rate.

Yodrak. | October 2, 2019

When a "chief investment officer" opens up his article stating that his utility charges for electricity in $/kilowatt and follows with further misstatements I quickly discount both his EV advice and his investment advice.

Maxxer | October 6, 2019

The Tesla supercharger I used in the grocery store parking lot was just perfect

Did the grocery while the car charged from 20 to 80-% coming back from a work conference

SamO | October 6, 2019

+1 Maxxer

Techy James | October 7, 2019

@andy.connor.e assuming that you pay at the Pump and no go in, the average time to fill up a traditional 15 gallon tank of gas is about 5 minutes. This includes time to process the transaction and get a receipt. Guess your trying to offset the fact that most electric cars can be charged at home while you sleep or in some cases at work, only taking average of 5 seconds to plug in and 10 seconds to unplug and neatly hang up cable. That makes it only 4 fill ups instead of 20 fills ups in a normal situation for time spent charging versus time spent filling up a tank of gas.
Now granted on those long trips yes it's about 30 minutes, but guess what you can take a BIO break and grab a bit to eat in that time. PS not all stops require the full 30 minutes either, My normal 550 mile quarterly trip has a 10 minute stop and a 30 minute stop. The 10 minute is perfect to plug in and take a BIO break and return car ready to make it to next stop. The 30 Minute stop is perfect for a lunch since it's been about 5 hours in the trip.
Even if I had ICE car I would take same amount of time to eat plus stop to fill up. And 1 to 2 BIO breaks. My trip in ICE car since I like to stop at least every 2 hours in ICE car took average of 9.5 hours. The last time I did it with Tesla M3 was also 9.5 hours and that included 2 charging stops to charge of 10 Minutes and 35 Minutes (refueled myself at same time) and 1 extra BIO Stop. So has anything changed using the EV versus and ICE car for me, not one bit.

andy.connor.e | October 7, 2019

Ya i was more on the side of long distance trips. Believe me, charging at home for daily commuting is the way to go. Long distance trips are really the only problem with it right now. I've shared on another thread that before i started working i would take long distance trips regularly probably 5-6 times a year. I have driven 5 hours without stopping many times and only went to the bathroom, filled up and continued going for another 4 hours probably at the stop for less than 10 min. I couldnt do that in an EV, i would have a minimum wait time, nor could i drive 5 hours without stopping. Things i know i would have to give up, and am perfectly willing to.

And this is a good point to keep bringing up. Long distance trips are not impossible with EVs. You actually give up nothing except the way you fuel your car. It just might take slightly longer to get places on very long distance trips.

jrweiss98020 | October 7, 2019

Actually, the REAL gold mine is for the tax man! WA just imposed ANOTHER $75 annual fee on all hybrids and EVs, allegedly to fund charging stations. I have yet to see an explanation of why all those Prius and other hybrid owners need charging stations...

Also, this is on top of the $150 annual fee on EVs that is supposed to replace the gas tax revenue. I suppose the $150 is fair, but now it's $225! At 50¢/gal, that's 450 gal or ~13,500 mi worth of gas tax (using my old 30mpg ICE) per year. I only drive half that, so I'm now paying DOUBLE the road tax for going green!

andy.connor.e | October 7, 2019

I lost you in your second paragraph. What is 50¢/gal?

Xerogas | October 7, 2019

@andy.connor.e: "I lost you in your second paragraph. What is 50¢/gal?"
------
That’s the tax portion of gas price at the pump.

TranzNDance | October 7, 2019

Another thing people take for granted is topping off at the gas station before a long trip in order to minimize stops. That ruins the momentum compared to topping an EV at home and then making a stop when it is most welcome.