Forums

Side Mirrors

Side Mirrors

It would be great if you could control if both mirrors dipped or just the right or just the left when you put the car in reverse. For US cars it would be nice to see the curb on the passenger side and cars approaching on the drivers side.

Mike UpNorth_ | October 16, 2019

That's a good idea.

surfpearl | October 16, 2019

This was already mentioned in another post. But why only US cars? There are curbs all over the world :)
Have you ever parked on the left hand side of a one-way street in the US? You'd probably want the car to sense on which side the curb is and to tilt the proper side mirror. I'm sure that feature is coming, but low on the priority list.

dh91108 | October 16, 2019

It would be nice if you can adjust how much they tilt when reversing.

ronjolley | October 16, 2019

This was done in my 2014 Model S. You could set both the left and right mirrors to where you wanted them in reverse and save the settings to your profile. I really miss this feature in the Model 3.

jordanrichard | October 16, 2019

What ? Do you not have a rear view mirror in the car and a back up camera to see oncoming cars? Besides, if you are baking up along a curb, why do you car what is coming down the road?

Syed.Hosain | October 16, 2019

@dh91108 "It would be nice if you can adjust how much they tilt when reversing."

Yeah! It would be nice to see the curb. At present, it does not dip down that far ... from what I can tell.

M3phan | October 16, 2019

I don’t use the auto tilt in reverse function, and at my height (nothing special, 6 foot one), am able to see the curb and the surface I’m driving on very easily in both mirrors when reversing. I’m able to get nice and close to the curb when I’m parking parallel. Guess I just found the sweet spot of positioning for those side

Syed.Hosain | October 16, 2019

@M3phan Good! For me, it is the bit of anxiety when parallel parking. On the right side. I have already rashed the right rear wheel twice ... luckily not while parking, but I am extra paranoid about that now.

coleAK | October 16, 2019

My 2013 Lexus has this function. Heck my 2002 Audi had it as well. I think it would be even better if you could see the view through the side cameras in the screen like my Lexus has as well.

Assuming the lines on the 3 are like that on the S and X, but the lines that appear when in reverse do not mark the outer edge fo the wheels, but the middle. Why? I have no clue, but factor that in when lining up with a curb.

jeremynordland | October 16, 2019

I believe you can do precisely this when setting up the mirrors. When you put the car in reverse, adjust your mirrors to how you would like them (right side down facing the curb and left side set to wherever you'd like it) and then save it to your profile. Done!

jeremynordland | October 16, 2019

You could probably set a secondary profile that has other backup mirror settings if you don't want it that way every time. Just change your driver profile real quick before putting it into reverse.

To repeat, what's missing is:

This was done in my 2014 Model S. You could set both the left and right mirrors to where you wanted them in reverse and save the settings to your profile. I really miss this feature in the Model 3.

howard | October 16, 2019

Assuming the lines on the 3 are like that on the S and X, but the lines that appear when in reverse do not mark the outer edge fo the wheels, but the middle. Why? I have no clue, but factor that in when lining up with a curb.

On my M3 the back up lines seem to be very accurate to the outside of the wheels. I use the lines almost exclusively looking carefully in the mirrors to double check if really close. No scrapes backing in parallel. Got a small scrape going in forward first day on the passenger front.

Cclcal | October 16, 2019

just learn to parallel park.....how did we all do it before self tilting mirrors? Remember having to manually adjust your mirrors? Remember having only 1 driver side mirror, if you wanted 2 you had to pay for it as an option.

EVRider | October 17, 2019

@jeremynordland: You can only adjust the reverse tilt position in the Model S and X. Model 3 uses fixed positions. That’s why we have thread. :-)

howard | October 17, 2019

ronjolley +1

Would this not be a simple software application? The mirrors already have memory capabilities so why not add a save setting for reverse. This would be a very nice upgrade that could help prevent curb rash. Could the memory function not be adapted from the Model S?

Los Angeles | October 17, 2019

Some people on here are such turds.

jeremynordland | October 17, 2019

@EVRider Not true. Once you set the mirrors to auto tilt, you can adjust them with the scroll wheel and save it. Unless that function was removed with a software update. I haven't had to adjust them since I set it the first time.

jamilworm | October 17, 2019

It is true that if you are parallel parking along a curb on the right then the left mirror would probably be better off up so you can see oncoming traffic. But when backing into a parking space I like both mirrors down so I can see the parking space lines. So personally I like both mirrors down when in reverse. I suppose it would be cool if the car could recognize whether you were alongside a curb on the right, curb on the left, or just backing into a parking space and adjust the mirrors accordingly. But I am sure that would be very challenging. I am happy with both always down.

Cclcal | October 17, 2019

@ Los Angeles
hahaha, I absolutely concur. I doubt it's car problem, more like user error...
1st world problems.
Just learn to park a car

EVRider | October 18, 2019

@jeremynordland: I’m positive you could not save the reverse tilt mirror positions on a Model 3. If you can do that now, then it was added with a software update, and it’s not documented in the manual. Try changing the position on your 3 and see if it works.

walnotr | October 18, 2019

@Cclcal - you are dating your self! I’ll do you one better though. My 1931 Model A Ford didn’t come with side view mirrors, turn signals, or even two tail lights. I baffles me how some here obsess about not having a light blink on a mirror.

Los Angeles | October 19, 2019

Hey Turds (you know who you are).

Its not a necessity just a nice to have. As for the reason, here in LA streets can be tight and when you go to reverse into a parallel spot the front end swings out, so its smart to take a look and see if anyone is approaching from the driver side. yes I could look at the camera or the rearview mirror but neither show me what's in my blind spot.

Learn to drive and my old car does not have it are condescending responses from bitter jack asses.

Peace

howard | October 19, 2019

Hey Turds (you know who you are).

Learn to drive and my old car does not have it are condescending responses from bitter jack asses.

Peace

+1 The negative, bashing, insult responses are just standard for a host of the Tesla supporters.

@howard nah im pro tesla, and anti turds and jack asses.

Cclcal | October 19, 2019

lived in LA, now in SD.
Im not bitter at all and im not a jackass (it is one word, not two)

just enjoy the M3 for what it has, you are really going to get into a verbal altercation about the tilting of a side view mirror? How absurd does that sound?

:)

lbowroom | October 19, 2019

It would be nice if you could set the tilt position. I initially thought it was a bug a year ago since the car behaves like you can set the position. Move the the mirror, Save pops up and let’s you select it, but alas, the setting doesn’t keep.

Zeus140 | October 20, 2019

Tilt would be nice, but nicer would be the ability to adjust the mirrors so that at full extension you could see the blind spot. Currently at minimum extension all one sees is the side of the car. Totally useless.

lbowroom | October 20, 2019

I’ve heard this but I don’t find that to be true. My mirrors have plenty of adjustment range. Could be a height disparity. Is your seat very far forward?

Cclcal | October 23, 2019

im not bitter @ all

CASP3R | October 24, 2019

I think THIS has been the hardest thing for me to get used to on the Tesla 3.
I had a little Fiat 500T (before it was totalled by a 6 weeks fresh 17 y.o. driver who was texting) ... but that's another forum. :(
Anyway ...
I (personally) find the rear-view mirror to be WAY too small ... but then I figured out, it's the viewable area of the rear window that's the problem. It's like lower deck cruise ship portal. :(
The side mirrors are equally tiny and don't have the range/control that my Fiat (or the SmartCar, VW Golf, Acura Integra) I had prior to this M3. So ... yea. The mirrors are unusually small and far less functional.
Back to the rear view mirror:
I also have an issue with bright TRUCK and SUV (the monster sizes that they buy) are right in your eyes at night.
The first night I drove my M3, I reached up to flip the polarizar on ... and found that there wasn't one. There was NOTHING close to it. :|
Seriously?
Am I missing something here?
Now, I just point my mirror up or down and forget about the car behind me ... until they go turn/pass me or simply go away.
Granted ... I live in just outside of Boston and the drivers here are ... well, that's another forum/thread as well.
I DO like the idea of being able to SEE the curb with the side mirrors and not via flatscreen.

SnowZA | October 24, 2019

@casp3r the Model 3 has auto dimming mirrors. In theory, you shouldn't need to manually flip it... If yours aren't dimming, that might be something you need to get looked at.

httran26 | October 24, 2019

I normally do not point my mirrors, but there are times I need to. I created another profile for myself with everthing the same except the side mirrors are pointed down. I labeled it "Reverse"

vmulla | October 24, 2019

@SnowZA,
+1

@CASP3R,
Are you talking about seeing the curb when parking? You have a setting for the mirrors to help you with that.

howard | October 26, 2019

Backing into charging spot at DIA and a blue horseshoe shaped line showed up around the back of the car image accentuating the parking spot alignment. This is the first time I have seen this. New feature? Did not have time to play with it.

lilbean | October 26, 2019

@LosAngeles I agree. I wish the driver side mirror didn’t tilt. I’ve tried saving the setting in the profile but it still tilts down.

centennialchris | October 26, 2019

My retracted side mirrors did not move when I started driving. This happened to me twice. I had to stop the car and turn it off, then back on to have them work. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way to turn off the car while still in the car?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

FISHEV | October 26, 2019

"the Model 3 has auto dimming mirrors. In theory,"@SnowZA

Theory is right...I'm like @casp3r, it doesn't flip to polarized view and lights are very bright.

Also with the side mirrors. It's crazy that Tesla drivers mirror doesn't have range to see blind spot for all drivers. It's the only purpose of the mirror and it doesn't do it for me, average size.

I put on one of those wide view mirrors on the side view but don't like it as is so small a view, hard to see.

I did find that mirror gets stuck and if you lower the angle down you can get it to go out further, still doesn't cover blind spot but a bit better.