Forums

Curb Rash from test drive

Curb Rash from test drive

I let an acquaintance and his wife take my M3 out for the afternoon Friday as they are considering buying one. He called me very upset and curb rash'd the front pass side front wheel.

Made an appointment to get it repaired Monday morning. Here is the before image and I'll post the after once it's been repaired. The estimate was $150 and yes they are paying for the repair.

Having it done a Wheel Doctor in Portland, OR.

Before:

https://i.postimg.cc/qBZwN4cL/IMG-0021.jpg

Magic 8 Ball | November 3, 2019

My friend's wife rashed one of our rims. I invited her to drive the car so I did not ask for any compensation, it was all on me for setting her up.

Lonestar10_1999 | November 3, 2019

That really doesn’t look too bad. It would be great to collect the $150 from your friend and not go through with the repair. Chances are you will rash the wheel yourself eventually.

raqball | November 3, 2019

My friend's wife rashed one of our rims. I invited her to drive the car so I did not ask for any compensation, it was all on me for setting her up.
---------------------
I didn't ask for compensation, they offered to pay for the repair... I would have done the same if I damaged a car I was using that was not mine.

Not a big deal really.. I think they are going to buy one.. If they do that will be my 3rd referral in 5 months! :)

My friend's wife felt bad and if she had offered I would have refused.

Lonestar10_1999 | November 3, 2019
That really doesn’t look too bad. Chances are you will rash the wheel yourself eventually.
----------------------------
True but I am OCD and the M3 is my baby! If I rash it up down the line, I'll get it repaired...

lilbean | November 3, 2019

What is it with you two balls?

Is some mansplaining required?

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | November 3, 2019

That's nothing, I did worse the the first day, and worse than that about a week later. I left it and hardly notice it. I would get the wheel repaired if it were bent, dented, or cracked. Otherwise it's not worth it to me.

@M8 Yes.

One word: Control

Ah!

FISHEV | November 3, 2019

Check out WheelKraft NW nearer to you. Wheeldoctor did my first power coat and was $50 a wheel more than WheelKraft. I asked for “same as Tesla silver” and WD did an odd light gray with black specs. The sent me a pic a work and I thought it was the Tesla silver. WD offered to redo at same price but I went with WheelKraft and got exactly what I wanted.

I went full silver. Had $200 of wheel rash to fix anyway.

https://imgur.com/j7ubiJY

I went full silver. Had $200 of wheel rash to fix anyway.

https://imgur.com/j7ubiJY
-------------------
Those 18"s look good in silver...

I called WheelKraft and Wheel Doctor. Wheel doctor was the 1st to respond and they are not far from me anyways. Right off i5 in Jantzen Beach so about a 10 min drive for me...

I'll go tomorrow morning and see what they say after they see it in person. Based on that I'll either have them do it or drive over to WheelKraft....

One way or another it's getting repaired as I am OCD and will notice it every time I see the car. LOL

I am also getting homelink installed on Wednesday. Tesla is sending a Ranger to do the install. Buisy week for the M3...

ODWms | November 4, 2019

If I’d have invited them to drive I wouldn’t ask for any money for repair unless it was something egregious. But if they’d offered, I’d have accepted.

raqball | November 4, 2019

ODWms | November 4, 2019
If I’d have invited them to drive I wouldn’t ask for any money for repair unless it was something egregious. But if they’d offered, I’d have accepted.
----------------
I didn't ask for anything they insisted on paying for it to be repaired. Having said that, I have no plans to send them the bill so to speak. If they ask again about the repair with an ofer to pay again then so be it.

Got it done this morning and can't even tell it was ever rashed up.

Before: https://postimg.cc/4nVVMCS7
After: https://i.postimg.cc/CKzJW5Dn/IMG-0023.jpg

lbowroom | November 4, 2019

Like you, curb rash is a pet peeve of mine. Seems to me you only have to be semi-cautious and marginally aware of your surroundings to avoid it, but the world seems to disagree with me. I would schedule repair the same day if it happened to my car.

Like you, curb rash is a pet peeve of mine. Seems to me you only have to be semi-cautious and marginally aware of your surroundings to avoid it, but the world seems to disagree with me. I would schedule repair the same day if it happened to my car.
-------------
Agree 10%

It was a painful few days waiting on the appointment.. No way I'd allow that to remain.. Was $157 all done and took them 1 hour. Arrived at 9, let a few minutes after 10,

Very happy with the result. I was worried about a match since the wheels are powder coated...

*Agree 100%

A few colleagues had a mobile repair done. $150 for solo wheel, $125/each for multiple. They do look fine from a few feet away, but they sand the lip until it's smooth so if the gouges are deep they get a little wavy by the time it's sanded out. The paint is airbrushed and still a spot repair, so can't go as far as to say the wheel is like new. It's good, but not magical.

M3phan | November 4, 2019

I have fixed mine myself and they look great. (If it was REALLY shredded I’d go pro, but most rashes are my own stupid self and easy to fix.)
I have the 18” without Aeros and use the oft mentioned (by myself and many others) Ford grey touch up. Sand, alcohol, touch up, seriously almost like new. Easy.

A few colleagues had a mobile repair done. $150 for solo wheel, $125/each for multiple. They do look fine from a few feet away, but they sand the lip until it's smooth so if the gouges are deep they get a little wavy by the time it's sanded out. The paint is airbrushed and still a spot repair, so can't go as far as to say the wheel is like new. It's good, but not magical
I'm pretty happy with the results and I didn't think $150 was a bad price either., They matched up the powder coating exactly (to my eyes at least) so I am a happy camper.

M3phan | November 4, 2019
I have fixed mine myself and they look great. (If it was REALLY shredded I’d go pro, but most rashes are my own stupid self and easy to fix.)
I have the 18” without Aeros and use the oft mentioned (by myself and many others) Ford grey touch up. Sand, alcohol, touch up, seriously almost like new. Easy.
I wish I could do things like that myself but I am incompetent... I learned long ago that I am better off paying someone to do the job right the 1st time as opposed to me trying and failing then having to pay for it to be done correctly anyways...

007bond | November 4, 2019

Funny I just gave up on curb rash. The first several times my wife hit a curb I did the Ford gray it it looks great. But she just keeps hitting curbs so I have just given up. If I yell it will start an argument so soon I will have what I call the custom all the way around curb rash look. I have no idea how as she never had an issue backing out of the garage with the previous bigger car but she clips the sides of the garage door too. For that I came up with the idea of putting 2 pool noodles on each side of the garage door so she knows if she hits that stop. Oh yea when she seen those pool noodles the first time she was pissed but I have to draw the link on body damage. Now I have to rotate the left side rims to the right side to get an all wheel curb rash look. All jokes aside I really just gave up on fixing the rims.

CST | November 4, 2019

I just curbed my wheels again a couple of nights ago - I lined up thinking I had about 4 inches of space. I reversed a bit and felt more grinding... ugh! Looked at the wheel spacing from the curb and still had 3+ inches! I don't even look at them anymore, it is just too easy to do.

charles.a.braun | November 4, 2019

I'd say in the first 6 months of ownership I rashed my wheels (and repaired them) 3 or 4 times. Shortly after the last repair I rashed them again.

At that point I gave up and decided to stop paying for repairs.

Now, 16 months later, I still have the rash from 16 month ago but no new ones. I know though that if I repair it that within a week I will undoubtedly rash it again. Therefore I will just leave things be.

haywood.ed | November 4, 2019

With all those cameras and sensors, Telsa ought to be able to do a "curb view" window when you parallel park. Software update!

Syed.Hosain | November 4, 2019

I rashed my right rear wheel (same one!) on two occasions in the first few months - my own fault going around a curb at a parking lot in one case, and a sharp mall entrance in the other.

So, I am more careful now and have not had a problem since then luckily.

Also, the stock tire for the 18" Aero wheels is 235/45-18, which is a contributor (in a very small way), since the tire sidewall does not "stick out" beyond the wheel. The stock wheel width is 8.5" and much better suited for a 245/45-18 (also less speedo error with that).

Some brands/models of those wider tires have a rim protector that minimizes the risk of curb rash.

My recent tire change was to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - I chose 255/40-18 although the 245/45-18 is a better fit to the speedo. These have rim protectors that stick out beyond the wheel. Of course, the tire can deform a bit, so using rim protectors is not perfect, but should help.

FISHEV | November 4, 2019

"I chose 255/40-18 although the 245/45-18 is a better fit to the speedo."Syed.Hosain

We talked about this before but you are using the Tesla stock 18" wheel for the 255/40/18 correct?

jimglas | November 4, 2019

I've seen worse
Merely a flesh wound

Magic 8 Ball | November 4, 2019

@M8B: Nope, thats a winner for sure

My jaw dropped when I saw that one, full 360 grind.

ust be a snowboarder

Bighorn | November 4, 2019

I’ve seen that but the hail damage was worse. Year old 3:(

Have you seen worse than this:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/wto/d/oakland-tesla-model-3-18-aero-whe...
------------------
Holy crap!

spuzzz123 | November 4, 2019

$150 and that baby is all yours

darilds | November 4, 2019

It's pretty easy to repair minor curb rash on 18" aero rims. A little sandpaper to smooth the rash away and then apply "Dupli-Color AFM0360 Dark Shadow Gray Ford Exact-Match Scratch Fix All-in-1 Touch-Up Paint" from Amazon for about 13 bucks. It took me 10 minutes to fix my curb rash that went about 1/5th of the rim. Plenty of videos on YouTube to guide you.

spuzzz123 | November 4, 2019
$150 and that baby is all yours
------------------
Yeah I got a laugh out of the price... Best of luck to him/her I guess....

ODWms | November 6, 2019

ODWms | November 4, 2019
----------------
I didn't ask for anything they insisted on paying for it to be repaired. Having said that, I have no plans to send them the bill so to speak. If they ask again about the repair with an ofer to pay again then so be it.

Got it done this morning and can't even tell it was ever rashed up.

Before: https://postimg.cc/4nVVMCS7
After: https://i.postimg.cc/CKzJW5Dn/IMG-0023.jpg

—————

They did an excellent job!