Forums

Forum update with Search, see videos, color categorize posters

Forum update with Search, see videos, color categorize posters

I've made a free extension, TeslaTap Assistant Pro (TTAP) that adds a lot of new features to the Tesla forums:

• Advanced and basic search
• Color coding posters by category
• Add/Remove poster names to categories
• Auto spam detect and auto flag spam
• Auto foreign poster detection
• Options to hide foreign, toxic or spam posters
• When saving new post text, autosaves to clipboard
• Shows images and video on screen
• Adds "Back To" button at bottom of a thread
• Import and export of lists
• Ability to disable/enable individual features

This only works in Chrome on a PC/Mac. If you are interested in trying it out: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/teslatap-assistant-pro/iafcefg... The page has screenshots of the major features. Everything is local to you.

For the automatic detection of spam and foreign posters, I've tested it out on thousands of posts over the last month and it is about 90+% accurate. You can turn these specific features off or improve them by adding to your local whitelist or blacklists.

TTAP has seven poster categories: Yourself, Experts, Liked, Foreign, Disliked, Toxic, and Spam. You add poster names to a category to highlight those posters in a color of your choice or hide some posters.

Autosave feature is handy when you're writing a post, and pressing Save causes Tesla to logout. Now after logging in, you go back to the thread and Press Ctrl-V to paste back the lost content.

For those using the excellent 2016 Forum Extension Suite, it can do everything it did (search and hide). You may want to turn it off when using TTAP. Enjoy!

NKYTA | November 3, 2019

Excellent!!

SamO | November 3, 2019

Thanks TT. Will download and test when I get home

Tesla-David | November 3, 2019

Wow, excellent indeed. Thanks for doing this, will check it out.

liftsrock | November 4, 2019

Excellent! Thank you!

EVRider | November 4, 2019

Very cool TeslaTap! I normally use Safari to access the forum from my Mac and iPad, but I'll use Chrome when I'm on the Mac so I can test the extension (which I'm using now).

Does everyone who install this get added to their own "expert reviewer" list, or did you put me on there for everyone?

By the way, the account pages on Tesla's site seem to broken (at least mine is) -- your extension didn't do that, did it? :-)

Mike83 | November 4, 2019

Thanks so much.

NKYTA | November 4, 2019

EVRider, he put you on for everyone. Seems appropriate!

TeslaTap.com | November 4, 2019

@EVRider - the extension is only active on "forums.tesla.com..." pages. Anything else and Chrome does not let the extension run. If in doubt though, you can easily disable the extension. Go to the "3 dots", select "More tools" and "Extensions". There is a toggle to disable any extension.

I just tested my account page and it's working for me.

I put in just a few experts so people get the sense of it. It's easy to clear. I was going to fill other categories but decided agasint it. If you put yoursefl in the Yourself category, it has priority.

EVRider | November 4, 2019

@TeslaTap: I was only kidding about your extension breaking the account page. It was also broken in Safari, but it's fixed now. Thanks for adding me to the experts list. :-)

blue adept | November 4, 2019

@TeslaTap.com

Cool! I'll check it out sometime when I get the chance.

TeslaTap.com | November 6, 2019

A new minor version now up. Improves spam detection and foreign poster detection, along with a couple of minor bug fixes.

EVRider | November 6, 2019

I don't use Chrome much -- do we have to take action to update the extension, or does that happen automatically?

Extension updates are done automatically, but on Chome's schedule, just like Tesla updates :)

You can do it manually by entering on the address bar: chrome://extensions/

Then click on the Update button.

EVRider | November 6, 2019

If I look at chrome://extensions it says I have version 2.0.4 but there's no update option -- do I have the latest version?

Yep - that's the latest. Sorry, I should have stated the version. I'll do that for future updates.

TeslaTap.com | November 7, 2019

Ok, new version 2.0.5 today. I found a way to improve spam detect a bit more and added a few more spammers to the blacklist.

If you have been using an older version, when Chrome updates you to 2.0.5, Export your current lists and then import them back in with the default "Add new items". TTAP will add the new blacklist/whitelist items to your existing lists.

EVRider | November 8, 2019

I have 2.0.5 now. In the previous versions I've seen links to photos rendered in the body of the post (very cool), but I was looking at a post from yesterday in https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/201932127-updateanyone-know-what-i.... and it contains a photo link that didn't render. How is that feature supposed to work?

TeslaTap.com | November 8, 2019

For images, it needs to be a real image link that ends in .jpg, .gif or .png. For example:

https://teslatap.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Model-S-red-750x131.jpg

Some links are a reference to a webpage that has the image. Two examples on that page are not direct image links.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIRITI5XYAA7rAS?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
https://imgur.com/wHGlFoS

Before Tesla removed the display of images, neither of these links would have shown up as an image either. I actually looked to see if there was an easy way to display these in-line but the sites force you to go to the site, where they display the image with a totally different image URL.

EVRider | November 8, 2019

Got it. I'll keep that in mind if I post links to photos.

NKYTA | November 8, 2019

TT, doing what you can do.
Thanks.

TeslaTap.com | November 9, 2019

Just added a new feature - hides duplicates! Never sure why the forums even allows duplicate posts, but now TTAP will hide all the duplicates and only leave the first post. Look for v2.0.6. There is also an option to disable the feature if for some crazy reason you like to see duplicates :)

EVRider | November 10, 2019

@TT: Are you hiding both duplicate topics and replies, or just duplicate replies? If both, I suggest not hiding threads with replies, or providing that option.

TeslaTap.com | November 10, 2019

It only works on duplicate replies within a thread - the first of the duplicates remains, but all immediately subsequent posts from the same poster with identical text are hidden. It's really something the forum should fix, but we've been waiting 7 years so far. Not even sure why occurs, as I've had duplicate posts on rare occasions, although pressing "Save" only once. There is an option to disable this feature.

P.S. It introduced a really minor bug stopped color-coding poster names on the list of threads pages. Now fixed in 2.0.7. It should be live before 9:30 am today.

TeslaTap.com | November 10, 2019

It only works on duplicate replies within a thread - the first of the duplicates remains, but all immediately subsequent posts from the same poster with identical text are hidden. It's really something the forum should fix, but we've been waiting 7 years so far. Not even sure why occurs, as I've had duplicate posts on rare occasions, although pressing "Save" only once. There is an option to disable this feature.

P.S. It introduced a really minor bug stopped color-coding poster names on the list of threads pages. Now fixed in 2.0.7. It should be live before 9:30 am today.

NKYTA | November 10, 2019

Was ^^^ a test?

;-)

ljy024 | November 12, 2019

I just want search, this should be a basic feature on any site by now.

EVRider | November 12, 2019

Yes, but since we don’t have it here, you have to use other options.

SamO | November 12, 2019

Really enjoying the new software. Wish it worked on Chrome for iOS

TeslaTap.com | November 12, 2019

It looks like Google and Apple both don't want extensions in the iOS Chrome - especially those like AdBlock. Disappointing.

sabbia | November 12, 2019

Thanks for all of this Tap. I can report that I have not done exhaustive tests but the extension seems to work on Chrome on my Chromebook (airline movies most decidedly do not). It seems that some of the boxes are grayed but they are functional...that's why I haven't completed testing. I'm trying to understand that.

I have a question about the search. I think that the Google crawler that indexes the Internet does not index pages behind password walls. For example, I believe if you do a vanilla Google search of something on these forums you will not find anything that is on page 2 or later of a thread. Consequently, I suspect that the Tesla.Tap extension is also so limited. Not a criticism...I love what you're doing.

TeslaTap.com | November 12, 2019

@sabbia - Good to hear it's working on a Chromebook. I didn't have a way to check that. If you do find something wrong or not working, let me know.

The Google search does have limitations, but they should index multiple pages - as no login is required. What they will not see are private posts, which do require a login. These seem quite rare though, so I don't think the search will miss much, other than being a day or so behind the current activity.

sabbia | November 12, 2019

@tap. I wonder what behavior I experienced. I was under the impression that you couldn't advance page 1 of a multi-page thread if not logged in. I just did a bunch of tests and I could get past page 1. I have a feeling that it could be the way the forum uses cookies. As you probably know, logging in is different if you've been off the forum for a while.

I'll continue to poke around and I will report back. Thanks for your gift to the community.

TeslaTap.com | November 15, 2019

@sabbia - Glad you like it! My tests when logged out showed no problems going to all the pages of a multipage thread. I don't think cookies matter.

sabbia | November 16, 2019

@Tap. Just reporting in. I didn't forget to continue to experiment.

So far my tests as to whether all pages are visibile when not logged in are inconclusive. Either something funny is going on or I fat-fingered one of my tests. I will continue to report because what you've done is so helpful to all of us.

TeslaTap.com | November 16, 2019

If you had TTAP installed, @airtelcustomerc above was auto-detected as spam!

TeslaTap.com | December 6, 2019

New version 2.0.9 released:

- Allows wildcards for whitelist and spam blacklist. To add a wildcard on part of a URL, highlight a portion of the URL and then add it to the blacklist or whitelist. It will appear with an asterisk in front of the search text. The text must not have spaces or slashes. For example, I've seen many different spam URLs with "spotify-music-converter" as part of the URL. Easier to just hit them all with a wildcard than record what appears to be on-time use spam URLs.

- Added more blacklist spam URLs

- New versions now automatically merge your prior blacklist and whitelist with any new items I've added to these lists.

NKYTA | December 6, 2019

TT, you probably shouldn't mark supercharge.info as spam, just sayin'. ;-)

TeslaTap.com | December 6, 2019

@NKYTA - Currently, it's identified as spam because they use the .info in the URL - common with spammers. I've added it to the whitelist for the next release. If you see others that are wrong, let me know and I'll add them to the whitelist. Of course, you can add them to your local list too :) Thanks!