Forums

Update cycle

Update cycle

I'm a impatient person. And when new updates get released I like to try it out immediately.

I've also only had my M3 for a couple weeks and never had to update the car before.

Is there a standard process that happens when a new update is released?

Do certain regions, models, trims get the update first?

Also in the car I don't see a check for updates button, I assume the car just checks every time it's turned on?

I'm also sure someone has asked this before - Please hold your frustration :)

RJMIII | November 4, 2019

EVRider | November 4, 2019

Tesla decides when to send an update to your car. Updates are not pushed to everyone at the same time. To get updates as soon as possible, set the software update setting under Controls > Software to Advanced, and make sure your car has both cellular and WiFi access where you park. That’s all you can do.

Your car doesn’t check for updates automatically. When an update is ready for your car, Tesla pings your car via cellular, and your car tries to connect to WiFi to download the update. If you don’t have WiFi, you’ll see a yellow download icon on your touchscreen, and pressing it will tell you to connect to WiFi to download the update. After the update is downloaded, you’ll be prompted to install it.

dsvick | November 4, 2019

The "standard" process is that you'll get notified either in the car or by the app that an update is available. At that point you can install it right away or schedule it for a later time.

There is no rhyme or reason for who gets which updates when, except that people in the early access program will normally get them first by a few weeks to a month. After that there is no criteria to determine who gets them and when they get them. There is the new setting to get updates faster but I'm not sure what good that will actually do when everyone has it checked :)

The car will automatically check for updates and let you know when they are available.

PixelatedDensity2 | November 4, 2019

mmm ok not as logical as I thought it would be. But thanks for the info. I'll just continue to sit in the car and playing cuphead waiting impatiently for the update.

Bighorn | November 4, 2019

As often as not, people are upset with updates. Some go to the extent of never installing them.

Magic 8 Ball | November 4, 2019

Sacrifice something, things seem to go better after sacrifices.

Effopec | November 4, 2019

As I understand it now there are now two separate early access programs. The first being people that Tesla has invited and who have to sign an non-disclosure to not give details on any software features before they go mainstream. Not sure how you secure an invite for that. The next is people that have purchased FSD. Those are the next set of people to get the updates. So if you want to get the updates earlier, buy FSD. I have FSD and generally get updates quickly, but I am currently on 32.12.2 so I haven't gotten the latest with the increased power, one pedal driving, etc.

calvin940 | November 4, 2019

"There is no rhyme or reason for who gets which updates when, except that people in the early access program will normally get them first by a few weeks to a month. After that there is no criteria to determine who gets them and when they get them. There is the new setting to get updates faster but I'm not sure what good that will actually do when everyone has it checked :)"
-----------------------

@PixelatedDensity2

What this poster means to say is that *he/she* is unaware of the rhyme or reason nor knows the criteria for the software update selection. Simply because that poster (or others) are not aware of these doesn't mean there aren't any.

Nobody on the forum has expressed or demonstrated that they are aware of the algorithm for software rollout selection (other than EAP) because nobody here is privy to or is allowed to say.

Patience is required and software will eventually roll out to your vehicle.

SalisburySam | November 4, 2019

@Effopec, not sure about FSD purchasers getting any priority to software updates. I’ve had FSD since vehicle acquisition in July, 2018. I’ve been updated pretty much in the waning days of an update for almost all updates. Since the option to select “Advanced” for updates, I seem to get them with the rest of the bulk of the pack, never early on. For the past 19 days I’ve been on 32.12.2 with no notice of anything new available to me. And no, even with FSD I was not invited to participate in the early access program as was announced at one time. But I’m not bitter at all. No, not even a little bitter. OK, I’m bitter.

jordanrichard | November 4, 2019

OP, over the years I have gotten updates as early as 1 week from release to 6 weeks. Also since you are new, with updates you don't necessarily want to be the rabbit, you want to be the tortoise. When Tesla releases a major update, there are often unexpected little bug/glitches and they have to then send out minor updates with the fixes. So if you are one of those that don't get the major update straightaway, in theory, when you do get it, those fixes will already be in place.

Effopec | November 4, 2019

@ Salisbury - I believe the FSD priority started sometime this summer. I know I've generally gotten them quickly since then, but then again I didn't purchase FSD until August.

gmr6415 | November 4, 2019

James Locke

@arctechinc
Aug 20

Replying to @elonmusk
Any update on early FSD purchasers getting added to the Early Access Program?

I have an 100D Model S and Performance Model 3 purchased with FSD before all the price changes and would love to have them in the Early Access Program to help.

@elonmusk

Replying to @arctechinc
Everyone who bought FSD will receive priority/early access
4:46 PM - 20 Aug 2019

luis | November 4, 2019

I do not understand how I can connect the car to a WiFi . Into my garaje there is no WiFi and so in the places where I use to park. So, how could I discharge the update?

Magic 8 Ball | November 4, 2019

@luis Some have been able to turn their phone into a hotspot and get WiFi that way.

Or sit outside a service center for Tesla wifi which should be enabled already.

vmulla | November 4, 2019

PixelatedDensity2 | November 4, 2019
mmm ok not as logical as I thought it would be.

----

Actually it has to be very logical, and a lot goes on behind the scenes. Like they say, there's a method to the madness.
Large companies have dedicated release planning teams and they plan their releases based on the type of release content, impact on the customer, the support available during the release process, and customer satisfaction (a bit of randomness in release prioritization helps here) and a whole lot more.
I plan software releases for a living, and I do not claim to know what Tesla does exactly. Just know there's a lot more than meets the eye, and it is all meticulously planned.

TeslaTap.com | November 4, 2019

Also, be aware, not everyone gets a specific update. For example, if an update only affects Autopilot, older cars without Autopilot will never get that update. Same if the update only fixes a bug on a Model S, the update will not be made available to Model 3 owners. There are many vehicle variants so don't be worried if you don't get a specific update - it may not apply to your car. Now more significant updates (like v10) roll out to everyone, but some new features may only apply to some cars. I guess what I'm saying is it's complicated :)

Stolen from a friend's email from Tesla:

We release software updates in batches so that we can thoroughly test each update with every configuration of car, and often release new updates slowly over time. Once your car has an available update, a notification will display on your touchscreen to install. In general, connecting your car to a strong WiFi signal as much as possible will help avoid any possible delays in receiving updates.

People here in the past have attempted to do data analysis based on the order in which everyone received their update. It was fruitless.

Techy James | November 4, 2019

The Update release program goes through the following iterations.
1) Internal for Quality Control
2) Limited releases in batches to Early Adopters (People that had enough car referrals to qualify for the Early Adopters program). These people actually sign Non Disclosure Agreements.
3) Secondary Early Adopters that purchased both EAP and FSD.
4) People that have purchased FSD.
5) Limited release based on Region and Hardware (i.e AP Hardware 2.5 or FSD Hardware 1.0).

Then there is the setting in your car if you want it as soon as possible or more stable later releases.

vmulla | November 4, 2019

@Techy James,
The EAP customer list isn't completely based on referrals, early adoption, or purchase of features etc.

My friend is part of the early access program, he did not have a previous Tesla, bought the car in Dec 2018, did not buy FSD and only has Enhanced AutoPilot, has 2.5 hardware. He works for Virginia Department of Transportation and works for a division that focuses on autonomous cars, I'm thinking that put him in the elite pool.

tim.kazior | November 4, 2019

If it's true that 36.1 is being released then Tesla needs to change the message which displays when you view the installed software. Mine says "your car's software is up to date" which now seems to be false. It should instead say something like "sorry bro, you hasta wait." Or something else which is more customer friendly yet true.

calvin940 | November 4, 2019

Your car (much like phones, computers and other devices) don't know they are not on the latest software until the mothership tells them a new version if available thereby giving them that knowledge that they are not on the latest.

EVRider | November 5, 2019

I haven’t found that having FSD is getting me updates any sooner. Both our Model S100D and MR3 have FSD and are on 32.12.2. Both cars are parked in our garage with WiFi and cellular coverage.

FISHEV | November 5, 2019

Updates are random as to who gets them when. People speculate but no one knows why one vehicle gets it and the next will not. Not at all like the Apple or MS updates everyone gets at the same time.

Sometimes they are good, sometimes bad. Last big advertised update which Tesla call "V10" for some reason but the actual number you see will be 2019.32.x.x took away 5% of range but Tesla said nothing about it. Took knowledgeable owners to test it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTOaDolXJXU

The update to the update is supposed to give more power (why the update reduced range?) and more aggressive regen which Musk says will increase range some unspecified amount.