Forums

Frunk panel gap

Frunk panel gap

I've had my Model 3 for about a month and am happy that overall quality and finish is very good. The only obvious issue I see is an uneven panel gap along the front hood that doesn't seem to be helped by adjusting the two rotating rubber pads at the front of the trunk. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if it something that can be resolved at the service center? Thanks very much.

vmulla | November 4, 2019

Yes, the panel gaps can be adjusted. It is very difficult to adjust the gaps after a certain degree of uniformity.
That's the generic answer, but really what kind of gap are you talking about? Is the gap within spec, or is it something that bothers you because you are OCD and notice things that other do not?
As far as the process goes, adjustment on one end can make things worse on an other. I've seen techs do this on my car, it is a repetition of making a small adjustment on the screws, then closing the lid to make sure everything is done right - it took dozens of tries to get it right. It can be a costly process if you factor in the hourly rate for the service center techs.

Firewired | November 4, 2019

I had the same issue and could not resolve with the rubber pads. I scheduled mobile service and they fixed it by adjusting the actual metal closing mechanism and then aligning the pads.

M3phan | November 4, 2019

I have a slight gap on the front drivers edge of the frunk going to the front bumper, I’ve learned to live with it because no one else has noticed it unless I point it out, and then of course they see it but if it’s literally that unnoticeable.
That, plus the SC tech did say that while they could start making panel adjustments to tighten the gap, it could domino to putting other adjacent panels gappy, and I just didn’t wanna deal with that hassle for some thing that, again, was likely only noticeable to me and was functionally fine.

darilds | November 4, 2019

My frunk hood is out of alignment. The driver side is about 1/8th of an inch too high. The passenger side looks OK. I haven't bothered to have Tesla look at it yet. Several friends have noticed and pointed it out.

vmulla | November 5, 2019

@darilds,
Adjusting that 1/8ths of an inch might not be worth the trouble.
Both @M3phan and I shared our reasons in earlier posts.
Is the misalignment that conspicuous though?

Mendoons | November 5, 2019

At first I did think it was my OCD, but my daughter actually did notice it -- it's not terrible, and actually probably something I could live with and chalk up to "unique" - but I do have SC close by so I may see what they can do. Thanks.