Forums

36.2.1 - “click” when using “Hold” mode

36.2.1 - “click” when using “Hold” mode

When using the new “Hold” mode, I hear a new sound under the dash in the footwell area as the car comes to a full stop - like a circuit breaker tripping. Anyone else notice this? What is making that noise? Sounds like a solenoid/actuator being energized... Again, has anyone else noticed this new sound since 36.x?

lbowroom | November 11, 2019

Just tested it out. No sound. Did this happen before the update when you manually applied hold?

jebinc | November 11, 2019

@lbowroom

Nope. Was quiet prior to latest update.

lbowroom | November 11, 2019

Ever come to a full stop on autopilot on the highway? Seems like it’s the same mechanism of action

Bighorn | November 11, 2019

Electric actuation of brakes?

@Bighorn

That would be my guess, but then again I never heard that engagement when manually applying hold. I looking to see if others have noticed this since the update as well. Kinda spoils the one pedal experience.

Manually applying hold involves hydraulic braking first I'm guessing.

@Bighorn

Yes, but have others noticed this new sound?

Was too snowy for me to check it out tonight

Magic 8 Ball | November 11, 2019

Sound more like a click to me.

AZTesla | November 11, 2019

Yup, I also hear something. Release notes lead me to think that it is not the brakes being actuated, tho.

howard | November 11, 2019

I noticed the “new” click. It seems to coincide with the mechanical brakes being actuated at the moment hold is indicated. .

How so?

M3phan | November 11, 2019

Similar to the slight click that happens when the car brakes in AP in stop and go traffic. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Michael B | November 11, 2019

My car has had a click sound from day 1 when ever autopilot engages the break. Depending on the amount of breaking it can be a quick click or a slower clickity-clack.

With new update it does the click every time break/hold engage.

I took to service center once before but they did not hear it so never got resolved. I may revisit it now.

Let us know if you make any progress with resolving please!

M3phan | November 11, 2019

SC told me last year that the AP click was normal. Since it happens every time in stop n go traffic especially, I have not given it a second thought since.

CST | November 11, 2019

It's because your foot isn't touching the brake when hold enables. Before, your foot activated it and dampened the vibration you now hear as a click.

marian.zdarsky | November 12, 2019

I am wondering how this new Hold feature reduces brake pad wear (as written in the Release notes). The car uses brakes every time you stop even on a flat ground where it didn't have to use them before. I would be also interested to know the exact moment it actually applies the brakes as it seems to be braking when still moving (albeit very slowly). This to me sounds like brakes are used more often than in the regular Roll mode where you might not need to touch them for long periods of time. Any insight on this?

Bighorn | November 12, 2019

Brake pad wear is practically non-existent regardless, so this is a pretty moot factor.

AZTesla | November 12, 2019

How so?

bddaughe | November 12, 2019

It's similar to the slight sound I hear when I engage the parking brake (by pressing and holding the park button).

LostInTx | November 12, 2019

I heard the clinking sound prior to this release, specifically in NoA and when the car comes to a complete stop. Same sound now - I keep forgetting to ask about this when having the car serviced. Not concerned but it is an interesting sound.

jebinc | November 12, 2019

Thanks all for the input! Living in a rural area, and being retired, I don't find myself in stop-and-go traffic on a highway in NoA mode very much. It could be that I have had the sound in that use case but didn't notice it due to all the other noise (radio, traffic, conversation, etc.)

Please keep the posts of this occurring coming as I'm curious as to how frequently it is reported. Some have already posted that they DO NOT have this sound, which makes me wonder, WTF?

calvin940 | November 12, 2019

I just got 36.2.1 last night and tried it out this morning. I do not recall hearing any clicks. However, I was listening to Iron Man so I am not sure my ears were "tuned" to hearing anything else :D

I will check it out on the way home.

Magic 8 Ball | November 12, 2019

The click is not loud and happens exactly when the "H" Icon comes on screen. It sounds like the click of a solenoid or something to me. At first I thought it make be just a generated sound to coincide with the visual clue.

-@Magic 8 Ball

I thought the same, but wondered why I didn't notice it before, and why 100% don't report having it. On TMC, many report hearing it and many report not having the sound. Perhaps those who have the sound have a noisy actuator (SC replacement?), or one that is mounted slightly more away from the contact point (SC fix). Would love to solve for why some have it and why some do not.

Not all people have the same hearing sensitivities.

-@Magic 8 Ball

I asked for people to look for it the next time they are out in hold mode. In those cases, it's not a hearing sensitivity issue.

Same here all - On your next drive in "Hold" mode, listen to see if you have the click when coming to a stop.

How would you know what others can and cannot hear?

-@Magic 8 Ball

When they answer my question by saying something like, I listened and didn't hear anything. If they had known hearing loss, I doubt they would have reported not hearing the sound after being asked.

Most don't know they have hearing loss.

-@Magic

And here's a good example of that playing out. If -@derotam reports back later that he didn't hear anything, I take that to be a valid data point for some not having the sound....

"derotam | November 12, 2019
@jebinc: next time I get into my car I will get more data. I did not notice any click this morning on my drive though."

Trying to crowd source meaningful data from what people say on the internet is where many here get themselves in trouble. If someone tells me they did not hear anything I can only conclude they are hard of hearing, the noise does not happen for them, or they simply missed it.

-@Magic 8 Ball

Thanks for your input.
_________

Still looking for additional input from others!

lbowroom | November 12, 2019

Sorry, initially your post read “clang” or something, didn’t it? I’ll listen more closely on my commute thing morning for a click

Yes, the OP did have a different word than "click" before I posted.

howard | November 12, 2019

I listened again on the way to work this morning. The click is there when brake hold engages with your foot, not on the brake. Some M3s might have a quieter brake hold engagement for a host of reasons or one might not hear it over the ambient environmental background noise. Or to some it might not matter. But boy do I like the way it works.

That’s great. FYI, the power increase is detectable without instrumentation. Just punch it at 50 and you’ll feel it.

CST | November 12, 2019

I explained the reason why you hear it in this new release, in my post above. Not a mystery.

-@CST

Yes, you provided an appreciated data point. Seems odd that some who listen for it, don't seem to have it, though... If everyone had the sound, the matter would be closed in my book.

Consider it closed then. Listening for it, I heard it. Don’t think it would have ever registered otherwise.

I could swear the AP seemed more human on my commute too, but I need more time behind it to be sure.

Kary993 | November 12, 2019

No sound but really like the one pedal driving. I used creep mode before but like not having to put the hold on and just modulate the throttle! Fantastic addition!!!

ron | November 12, 2019

Definitely a click and new with 36.2.1.

wayne | November 12, 2019

Click when Hold activated.

bp | November 12, 2019

Yep, it’s there. NBD.

walnotr | November 12, 2019

I’ll add to hearing the click(?) sound. Although to me it almost sounded like the sound of a damper closing. Not saying I think that’s what it is, just how I heard it. I had to turn every sound producing thing off to hear it though.

MAB1980 | November 12, 2019

I hear it too, exactly when hold enables. I can also feel it through the accelerator pedal.

AZTesla | November 12, 2019

Perhaps the capacity to detect the click is related to whether the M3 is AWD or RWD. I hear the click and my M3 is RWD.

RWD ☰ | November 12, 2019

I hear the click as well.

Kary993 | November 12, 2019

Maybe I am missing the point of this thread but why does this matter? People hear a click which is actuating the brake...so?

Pages