Forums

Parking/Charging near Cape Liberty (Bayonne), NJ - Cruise Port

Parking/Charging near Cape Liberty (Bayonne), NJ - Cruise Port

I am taking my family on a cruise out of Cape Liberty Cruise port in Bayonne, NJ.

My Model 3 will be parked for about a week at or near the cruise port (assuming I end up driving).

Is anyone aware of a place to park and charge for a week in the area? Level 1 (120V) charging is fine as the car would be idle for an extended period.

My primary goal is to be able to hit the road home without needing to detour to a super charger (not that knowing you need to make a 20-30+ min plus stop at the start of a multi-hour drive doesn't sound exciting). I also would like to ensure Sentry Mode can remain enabled the entire time (cabin overheat protection isn't much of a concern during a northeast winter, though would like to be able to pre-heat the car but not required).

Any help would be appreciated.

EVRider | November 15, 2019

How far is the cruise port from your starting point?

Scarab | November 15, 2019

My starting point is in Massachusetts.

EVRider | November 16, 2019

I guess that rules out taking Uber to the cruise port. :-)

Did you check PlugShare to see what’s available near the port? The port’s web site doesn’t mention EV charging.

Tesla2018 | November 16, 2019

Does Short Hills or Springfield NJ have superchargers at their sales offices that you can stop at before going to the port? They are about 15 miles away so your car would be almost fully charged when you get back. Maybe you could leave the car at the sales office and offer to pay them to fill it up when you return. Then take an Uber to the port since it will be cheaper than paying to keep your car on the port lot for a week. Or you can see if anyone with home charging in the area would be willing to drop you off and pick you up and keep the car at their house.

Scarab | November 16, 2019

@Tesla2018 there are several SuperChargers along the route, especially in Connecticut. However, even if the car was fully charged when parked, I would need to turn off Sentry Mode as in most port parking lots it would drain the battery in less than a week, and I wouldn't get notifications about the low battery on the ship. I recently had an airport drain half the battery in less than 12 hours due to sentry mode before it turned itself off to preserve the rest for my trip. So charging it before wont do it as I would still need to charge it on the way home or turn off sentry mode. As for storing the car at a Tesla store, the two your listed are more than a half hour away (in the wrong direction) across a toll bridge. So I would end up still taking the extra time to get my car and paying for multiple ubers and 4 extra tolls (two per round trip).

I also checked plugshare, nothing listed within walking distance but several hotels and things withing uber distance. But most have per hour fees especially while idling.

I have also seen similar questions on some of the other Tesla owner forums, but no replies. Ideally it would be a local parking garage with a standard 120v outlet I can plug into.

Scarab | December 12, 2019

UPDATE:

So my trip came and went. I was able to find a plug. I stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites on Staten Island (https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycfd-fairfield-inn-and-suites-ne...). We paid a little extra for a park and fly option on our room but cheaper than paying for a separate garage and they provide a free shuttle to and from the cruise port in the Cape Liberty Cruise Port (not to NYC Cruise port).

They don't have a destination charger, but do have an outlet next to an AC unit in the rear of the building. (There is another by an AC Unit on the side of the building but that is in a fire lane and would require a long extension cord that would need to run by a maintenance door and a walking path before getting to your vehicle. The plug I used, is in an outdoor exposure enclosure with the outlet recessed. Only one charging cable can be plugged in at a time without extension cords due to the lip of the enclosure.

My Model 3 charged at the expected 5mi/hr rate for a 15amp outlet (the outlet may be 20 but don't recall), this didn't matter as I was gone for a week. My car was fairly low when we got there so it took a few days to fully charge up to 100% (I raised my limit to 100% to ensure I would have enough charge for my way home).

The only headaches I ran into as due to there being only one outlet on the back of the building are when I arrived on Friday night all possible spots for me to park in were taken, causing me to move my car the next morning before heading to the cruise port (the lot was pretty empty on a Saturday morning so it wasn't much of an issue, but the potential is there) as the spots are not designated for EV charging in anyway. This outlet is there for maintenance on the AC unit and wasn't installed for specific EV purposes, so I can accept that. The other issue I ran into was several days into trip (closer to the weekend) my car would get unplugged for other cars to charge, I don't mind this but it did cause the headache of with sentry mode on my car's charge would drop rapidly. This resulted in me being closer to 85% charge when leaving (still much higher than when I arrived) and my car having a warning about charging to 100% repeatedly. As a result, after dropping my family at LGA and heading home in the starting snow storm I decided to stop in Darien, CT at a rest area to top off and grab some much needed food (traffic, partially from the snow had made me several hours behind my plan at this point).

At the Darien, CT rest area (northbound) there are 4 super chargers, a pair of Gen2 chargers before the building and a pair after the building near the gas station. There seem to be a row of new SuperChagers (not sure which Gen) being installed where you first enter the rest area, and saw similar at the next two rest areas. One of the spots was taken by a ICE idling for an unknown reason, but the other was free for me to use. While charging another the other vehicle left and a Tesla arrive, causing my speed to slow slightly but I was about to leave after eating my very over priced McDonalds, and how can I complain seeing how it was a Free SuperCharger and the next one on the map wasn't. I then drove past the other two SuperChargers on my way out, neither one was in use, but then again each had a pickup truck parked in front of the spaces.

I hope this helps anyone else looking for places to charge while going on a cruise out of NJ and I hope some hotels in the area offering Park and Cruise / Park and Fly packages start offering real destination chargers. Though as I said, charging speed wasn't a concern while being gone for a week.