Forums

Thule Motion XT XL cargo box on Model S glass roof rack

Thule Motion XT XL cargo box on Model S glass roof rack

Seeking information on compatibility of Tesla roof rack for 2019/20 Model S with glass roof with Thule Motion XT XL cargo box. I’ve purchased a new glass roof Model S that will be delivered in a week. I’m looking to purchase the Tesla roof rack. The Tesla photos show the rack arches some between its sides and center. The Thule Motion series cargo boxes are mostly flat over where it would sit on the rack. I’m concerned the cargo box will high center on the rack preventing its pincer type mounts from securely fastening to the rack. Has anyone had experience with this cargo box on the Tesla rack?

Of note: I cannot find the dimensions of the Tesla rack on its website. The Thule fit specs (thick book at REI) does not list any of its cargo boxes as being compatible with the 2019/20 glass roof Model S, including ones placed on a Thule rack. The REI sales rep called a Thule engineer who stated Thule does not recommend any cargo box over the glass roof due to risk to the glass. I do not understand this as Tesla states their rack can take 150# over the glass roof.

Any help on this would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Daisy the Road ... | November 28, 2019

I was under the impression that the glass roof versions are incompatible with the roof rack.

SamO | November 28, 2019

There is a roof rack that works with the glass roof (non-pano) but I can't find the link. Will post if I can find it later.

Good luck @kdavisaz

kdavisaz | November 29, 2019

Here's Tesla's link: https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/model-s-roof-rack---glass-roof. Sadly, the price went up $200 in the last 24 hours.

AERODYNE | November 29, 2019

Just about every accessory went up in price. WTH...is this a reverse Black Friday? Good thing I already have most everything I need...

CygnusX-1 | December 1, 2019

@kdavisaz & OP
From that link, the fine print says:

"Any Model S built before February 11, 2019 can be retrofitted for roof rack..."

So this may not be an option for the stated car from the OP.

jojim | December 5, 2019

@CygnusX-1 I believe the reference to retrofitting the roof rack for earlier versions of the vehicle means that the rack was specifically designed for the most recent, post-February 11 cars. The current roof rack is designed specifically for the newer glass roof.

jojim | December 5, 2019

@CygnusX-1 I believe the reference to retrofitting the roof rack for earlier versions of the vehicle means that the rack was specifically designed for the most recent, post-February 11 cars. The current roof rack is designed specifically for the newer glass roof.

Reds Tesla | December 5, 2019

I just stopped into the "dealership" to ask about the racks with the 2020 Model S I just bought. They do make a rack for the pano glass roof. It is not a super easy install, and it does not pop on and off like other racks. Once you install, plan to keep it there.

df222 | January 2, 2020

I went to REI seeking the same cargo box, on a pre-2019 Model S which had already been retrofitted and had the roof rack installed at the service center. REI's installer called Thule, then relayed to me that they wouldn't install it for a different reason -- the roof rack's front crossbar is higher than the rear crossbar (I didn't measure but this looks to be the case), and so the underside of the cargo box would catch a great deal of wind. Good luck! I am currently using a Thule Snowpack ski rack instead of a box, and hoping to eventually find a compatible cargo box.

Rowlie | January 2, 2020

I have a Thule Cargo box on my 2015 Model S with the Pano roof, but I used the Thule bars instead of the Tesla bars. Thule has a kit specifically fit to the Model S. I can't open the Pano all the way with the bars installed because the rear is narrower than the front. It doesn't appear that I would be able to do that with the Tesla bars either.