Forums

Smart summon direction question

Smart summon direction question

Smart Summon, in addition to being very convenient, is also fun to show off to other people (and freak out a few as well).
The other day we were visiting family out of town and we went to a park. The parking lot for the park is oval shaped with parking in the center and on the outer edges.
We drove into the parking lot at the "11:00" position and drove down in a counter clockwise direction and parked at the 3 O'clock position. After strolling through the woods we came out at the 6 O'clock position and I decided I would summon the car from there. It decided to go the other way and go Counter clock-wise and came around to pick us up the long way.
My question is this, how did it decide to go 3/4 way around to pick us up instead of from the 3 to the 6 O'clock position directly (clock-wise)?
My hypothesis is that it assumed that the parking lot was like a one way street and continues in the direction it already traveled.
Does anyone know for sure?
By the way it did stop and let another car back out and leave and then continued on its way. It used its turn signal as it appear to be making left turns.
Thanks in advance.

Lonestar10_1999 | November 30, 2019

I find that it tries to travel in the direction of cell phone location but tries to avoid hitting objects. It even stops at an intersection with a stop sign, then proceeds. It does not however know the rules of which direction the cars are supposed to go.

I always make sure that I am standing in a part of the parking lot that would make the car come to me in the mandated direction. After all, I am still responsible for any accidents even if a robot is driving.

M3phan | November 30, 2019

Yes, I’ve seen SS do both longer routes and more direct shorter routes in the same lot. Not sure why.

hokiegir1 | November 30, 2019

The few times I've tried it, it seems to want to approach where you are standing with the driver's door toward you...whatever direction that requires to accomplish that.

I’ve not had the drivers side presented as a consistency. It’s gone both ways for me. On the huge plus side, it works rather well.

Sarah R | November 30, 2019

I've yet to have a situation where I'd feel safe to try it out. If I'm in an empty parking lot, will it cross over the marked stalls and take a direct route straight to me or does it observe the traffic lanes of the parking lot?

It doesn’t always observe stall lines if they’re empty and will sometimes go shortest route. More times, it will observe lines and stalls. Occasionally it will choose an unexpected longer route to you. It actually works better with some other parked cars around it as this forces it to do better with observing lines/stalls.
I don’t use it in crowded or busy lots. But I do look for opportunities to use it and help improve it.
All I can say is it has come an incredibly long way from where it started.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | November 30, 2019

Sarah R, you got FSD?

I know there will be a day soon where I'll want to use it. When it's pouring rain at my work and my car is in the middle of the lot. But I'd be afraid that it would hit something. I would need to see it work before I trust it.

Hell, my Volt was supposed to be able to park itself, parallel or perpendicular. The one time I tried it, that wheel spun around and I said, "NOPE!" and disengaged it.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | November 30, 2019

Sarah R, умная, мудрая и смешная )

Вы слишком добры

M3phan | December 1, 2019

Гугл переводчик мой друг

M3phan | December 1, 2019

хотя и не самый точный

Varricks | December 4, 2019

Yipes! Phasers to "stun"! Aliens of some sort!!

KAM6 | December 4, 2019

If you want to mess around with summon, use summon to target and walk with the vehicle.